Hello from PA! Any Lap Banders?

Options
Hi all! I'm from 1/2 hour north of Pittsburgh. Married, stay-at-home (now) Mom of three. I'm about 4 months from getting WLS (Lap-Band- thus my user name) and I'd like to start tracking things again as I know how much it helps with accountability. I've lost major weight many times on many different diets before (yes, even the calories in/calories out one), but I never keep it off (I'm at my heaviest now-248, BMI 37.3)...thus bringing me to the Lap-Band. It doesn't change the calories in equasion at all (no malabsorbtion), but should help with the bottomless hunger (as they say in Lap World "It's just a tool"). This site seems very easy to use so far (suggested by friends at Lap Band Talk) and eveyone has already been very helpful to me in setting things up! Now, off the computer and on to my exercise!

Replies

• Band_Groupie
    Options
    Hi all! I'm from 1/2 hour north of Pittsburgh. Married, stay-at-home (now) Mom of three. I'm about 4 months from getting WLS (Lap-Band- thus my user name) and I'd like to start tracking things again as I know how much it helps with accountability. I've lost major weight many times on many different diets before (yes, even the calories in/calories out one), but I never keep it off (I'm at my heaviest now-248, BMI 37.3)...thus bringing me to the Lap-Band. It doesn't change the calories in equasion at all (no malabsorbtion), but should help with the bottomless hunger (as they say in Lap World "It's just a tool"). This site seems very easy to use so far (suggested by friends at Lap Band Talk) and eveyone has already been very helpful to me in setting things up! Now, off the computer and on to my exercise!
  • ldeball
    ldeball Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am from south Alabama and had my band surgery on 7/1/08. I started my pre-op diet on 6/21/08 at about 320, day of surgery 296.4 and currently 237.5 for a total loss of 82.5 pounds in 6.5 months. I use this site several times a day and find that having to "fess up" about what I eat keeps me honest and on track. Good luck to you!

Leigh
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    HELLO!

I've been hoping to team up with other lap-banders on this site. I had my surgery on June 23, 2008. I've lost 34 lbs so far. The nurse said I'm losing too slow on my most recent fill on New Year's Eve and told me to use this site.
  • dgibson03
    Options
    Hi there! I'm not a Lap Bander, but I am a VGB, so I don't have the adjustability of the Lap Band. My restriction is permanent. I had my surgery in December 2003 and considered the band, but found that I didn't want the maintenance associated with it. Anyway, I started just over 300 and lost down to 190. I'm back at 217 and that is what brought me to this site. I've only be a member for a few days, but already I find myself more accountable for what I eat and how much I exercise which is what I needed to keep me on track.

Good luck to you! :happy:
  • JULIETACKETT
    Options
    I am looking at getting the lap band myself. I am at my heaviest 327 with a BMI of 55. I joined this site to keep track of things better. I would like to get the band by summer.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hi JULIETACKETT!!

If you are planning to get one this summer, you need to start working on it as soon as possible. See your primary care physician and your WLS physician immediately.

It took me 8 months to get insurance approval for the surgery. There are many, many, MANY medical and psychological tests required to qualify. So you need to get that out of the way early. Also, many insurance policies required that you meet with a dietitian and my doctor once a month for 3 or 4 or more months to show an attempted weight loss before they will cover the surgery.

Most insurance companies make it as difficult as possible to get approved for the procedure, if they cover it at all. Some claim that it is still "experimental" as their excuse.

BEST OF LUCK! And keep us posted!