Tight calf muscles!

Options
2»

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You are probably just sore from working muscles you dont normally use. It will pass and your body will get used to it eventually if you keep it up.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    thebrock7 wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    If it feels tight, and it's bothering you, then stretch them often.. like every hour or two. Here is how
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkgkmbXz8Mo

Tight calves are pretty common nowadays partly because most shoes have a raised heel, which activates the calves more. Wearing "zero heel" shoes is the alternative.

I have only recently heard about this trend towards zero heel shoes, minimalist running shoes etc. Do people have opinions on this as a solution? I have had calf soreness/tightness in my right calf for months and months now and wonder if this could provide some relief.

Zero drop shoes are actually notorious for causing calf pain, at least at first. Your muscles are working differently, so you have to ease into it or you can end up with cramps, etc.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Stretch, foam rollers and eat a banana.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Cherimoose wrote: »
    If it feels tight, and it's bothering you, then stretch them often.. like every hour or two. Here is how
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkgkmbXz8Mo

Tight calves are pretty common nowadays partly because most shoes have a raised heel, which activates the calves more. Wearing "zero heel" shoes is the alternative.

I have only recently heard about this trend towards zero heel shoes, minimalist running shoes etc. Do people have opinions on this as a solution? I have had calf soreness/tightness in my right calf for months and months now and wonder if this could provide some relief.

It's a proxy to target what can be the root cause of the issue: weak glutes and ankles meaning the calves take up more than their fair share of the effort.

In my opinion you're better off going straight for the kill: specific resistance training targeted at those areas.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

One-sided tightness usually has a complex cause, such as an issue with the arch, or the way you use that leg. You might need to see a sports physical therapist to find out the cause. If you want to try to self-treat, stretch it hourly for 30+ seconds, and sleep with a night split. Use one that adjusts to less than a 90 degree angle, like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Plantar-Fasciitis-Splint-Medium/dp/B006L8N71Y

What activities do you do? If you're running, a small heel is fine. For walking, standing, etc, there is no benefit to a raised heel. The toe-down position (plantarflexion) activates the calves more.

• SkinnyLight777
    SkinnyLight777 Posts: 36 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thank again guys for all the info! Agree with Cherimoose, one sided tightness is complex. I also have planter fasciitis recently. For sure for all this tight calf muscles too. Since stretching and foaming rolling much better. I did get a night split, works great so far if you have that heel pain. I also bought a pair of Kuru sneakers for walking & runs recently and working great, heel pain much better! Though need to always stretch this calf muscles now every day!
  • thebrock7
    thebrock7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the responders. Luckily i don't get heel pain and if i stop doing exercise my calf gets pretty close to feeling 100%. I don't run because of the calf, so have been using the elliptical trainer, rower and some times bike for cardio. I have had some success with a sports physio before but as i get better and want to train more and harder i find it just get sore and tight again. I have been slack with the roller and have used that the past few days and think i may be making a small difference. I will look into a splint too, thanks for that I had never heard of those before. And as I am not running for now I think i may look into some shoes without a drop and see if that helps. Do people recommend a brand? Do they make zero/minimal drop shoes you can wear to the office?

Cheers :smile:
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Do they make zero/minimal drop shoes you can wear to the office?

There's a few, but not sure what's available in AU. Google "zero heel dress shoes" (or whatever they are called there).

For walking, lifting weights, etc, i wear skateboard shoes or similar. My most comfortable pair is by Kustom, which is Australian.
  • rmcloughlin22
    rmcloughlin22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem in the past. Strengthening the shins muscles to balance helps a lot. Walk/treadmill on an incline or even just doing toe raises with/or without resistance will strengthen the shins.