Drinks.. waste of calories or not?

Options
This is something I debate with and figured I'd somewhat rant and see what others thought. When I have my calorie goal I tend to use the calories on food and not a calorie filled drinks. I personally see something like soda, ect as a "calorie waster". Don't get me wrong I love certain calorie filled drinks like ice tea, certain sodas, ect. But when being on a calorie limit I've basically changed over to water only. I rather use my calories on food instead of drinks.

What does anyone else think? Are you a food calorie person or a drink calorie person? :smile:

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Definitely a waste of calories imo. I would rather have real food then waste 150+ cals on a soda. But that's just me. :smile:
  • karilynn27
    karilynn27 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Definitely a waste of cals. I find that I can get the same thirst quenching drinks and they are satisfying, at a low cal option rather than drinking high cal drinks. They are empty calories anyway. They are terrible for you anyway.
  • prousis
    prousis Posts: 14
    Options
    I try to stick to calorie free drinks for the most part, because I agree that it is a waste of calories. However, on the weekend I do indulge in beer and wine and have still been able to continuously lose weight!
  • kwoj09
    kwoj09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't like to waste my calories on drinks. The only drink I'm ok with using calories is milk.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Soda=waste of cals. Delicious, delicious wine=best use of cals ever.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I eat my calories, but I can see where some people would use juices to eat up calories if they have a lot of calories to consume and already felt full. You have some people on here that have to eat 2000 plus calories. I just couldn't do it with food alone if I was the one that had to eat that many calories.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    i drink crystal ight iced tea which is a "free" drink at less than 5 cals.
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    beer has calories, i like beer..
    soooo, i guess my choice is NOT a waste of calories :)
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Of course it's a waste. The only things that I drink now (since starting this journey) is water, organic milk, and every once in a while juice.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I just passed up chocolate milk today when I realized it had as much calories in 8 oz as my granola bar does. I'll save that treat for after i work out to "eat" back the exercise calories.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I do like an occasional shot or two of vodka. Straight, no soda or juice.
  • Cartel
    Cartel Posts: 40
    Options
    A gallon of water only for me.
  • cgottel
    cgottel Posts: 22
    Options
    Since I started limiting my calories, I switched to water and hot tea in the morning. However, I love starbucks caramel machiatos and once in a while, I will indulge myself and waste the 190 calories on a grande nonfat. I will probably have a soda here or there at parties or whatever, but for the most part, water is it. I guess it depends on how strict you want to be and how much you want to limit yourself. I know that cutting out all other drinks besides water is not realistic for me so I just do the best I can.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    for me, it depends on my mood. if i'm out with friends, i budget in for a beer (or two, but usually one). however, in general, i'd rather eat my calories. i do drink juice and rarely drink non-diet soda (or diet soda, really). honestly, the things i drink the most include water, milk, juice, and coffee.

in terms of mixed drinks, forget it. i'd rather have a beer (and it's usually cheaper!)
  • BeachGirl6871
    BeachGirl6871 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i'm totally addicted to diet pepsi w/lime... but it's calorie free - not great for me though. i'm trying to switch to fresh brewed tea w/out splenda. :huh:
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I meant to quote svg, sorry, hit the wrong button. lol

You're actually better off drinking the milk after your workout. studies have shown that people who drink milk after a workout recover faster and build more muscle. It's much better for you than a granola bar which is chockful of sugar. Although I'd skip the chocolate milk because of the sugar, I definitely recommend some skim milk after a workout over a granola bar any time.
  • BeachGirl6871
    BeachGirl6871 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A gallon of water only for me.

a gallon! wow!
  • nicoleransbottom
    Options
    WASTE! I love sprite zero tho and things like propel ZERO sometimes a nice treat is something like G2 because the whole 32 ounce bottle only has 80 calories! =) Hope this helps!
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Pop is a waste of calories. Most fruit juice is a waste too as they add way too much sugar. Someone told me you should toss anything with more than 5g of sugar.

With that said...

I drink a LOT of coffee (with creamer) and I personally don't even count it in my diary. I've been losing weight and haven't cut back on my coffee, and I haven't been counting it. It's my one legitimate cheat. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet... and I'm not getting rid of coffee any time soon. :)
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Depends. Soda is a total waste of calories. Why not just have diet? Well, I like diet better than regular, so I guess maybe I'm a bit weird anyways. I wouldn't waste my calories on juice either. I do like an occasional frappacino from starbucks though. And, by occasional, I really do mean occasional. I go to starbucks maybe twice a year.

And, of course, I have a bit of skim milk or almond milk with cereal... But, for some reason, milk used in cereal doesn't register as a drink at all. :)