"Refeed Day" is it a thing?

Options
I've heard that having a day a week (ish) of eating at maintenance instead of a deficit will alter your metabolism slightly, causing you to burn more calories overall for the next week (ish)....

Tru or not?

Replies

• sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have a "refeed" day, not bc of metabolism or anything, but just to keep me sane. My cheat meal is usually a five guys burger and fry. And the rest of the week its chicken, rice and broccoli.

So it just helps me to stay on track.

I've also heard its good for you, just never really looked into it. So I'm curious also.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It's really about adherence more than metabolism.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Yes, the idea is to boost leptin levels. The leaner you are the more often refeeds are thought to be necessary.

The focus should particularly be on raising carbs within a day of eating at maintenance.

However, this more a "cherry on the cake" strategy.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    My trainer suggested I have two 're-feed days' a month. The idea is, it raises my leptin levels.

I haven't taken his advice as I was concerned about my deficit being affected. I know there is a science behind 'the re-feed' but for me it seemed all to similar to the term 'cheat day'. My trainer put this the re-feed to me as being one day where I could basically throw calorie counting out of the window - he didn't mention eating at maintenance.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    for me it seemed all to similar to the term 'cheat day'. My trainer put this the re-feed to me as being one day where I could basically throw calorie counting out of the window - he didn't mention eating at maintenance.

It is none of those things.

It is a fairly advanced dieting strategy mostly used in a specific context: pre contest dieting phases. The idea is to eat at maintenance (or maybe a little above if you are the "hardgainer" type) and concentrate on increasing carbs while keeping other macros (particularly fat) at reasonable levels.

It is not meant to be an excuse to get gallons of ice cream in a single day for example.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

YOU, I like!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    for me it seemed all to similar to the term 'cheat day'. My trainer put this the re-feed to me as being one day where I could basically throw calorie counting out of the window - he didn't mention eating at maintenance.

It is a fairly advanced dieting strategy mostly used in a specific context: pre contest dieting phases. The idea is to eat at maintenance (or maybe a little above if you are the "hardgainer" type) and concentrate on increasing carbs while keeping other macros (particularly fat) at reasonable levels.

It is not meant to be an excuse to get gallons of ice cream in a single day for example.

I assumed as much. My trainer has been known to give me very vague, if inaccurate advice when it comes to nutrition - which is why I now use him solely for the work-out's and stick with MFP for the food advice! ;)
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Exactly.

For details on how and when to set up a refeed day: muscleforlife.com/refeed/
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Super helpful all! Much abliged
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »
    I've heard that having a day a week (ish) of eating at maintenance instead of a deficit will alter your metabolism slightly, causing you to burn more calories overall for the next week (ish)....

Tru or not?

Nope, but there is nothing wrong with eating at maintenance for a day if that's what you so choose to do.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

This is very true.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between refeeds and cheat days/meals.

Cheat days (blob, I hate that term) are for adherence and down to personal choice.

Refeeds are much more specific.