frustrated

Options

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Just remind yourself that you're building muscle out of fat. You may not have lost any weight, but you converted fat to muscle with all your walking...and that's to be commended!

No...this is absolute bollocks. Things do not work like that.

Yes. That is EXACTLY how the body works.

Actually no :|
  • HowlinAl
    HowlinAl Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Be very, very sure you are tracking and logging your food as accurately as possible. Weigh everything. If you're confident of that, then just try to be patient (so hard!) and trust the math.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Just remind yourself that you're building muscle out of fat. You may not have lost any weight, but you converted fat to muscle with all your walking...and that's to be commended!

Nope. That's not a thing. If walking converted fat to muscle, we'd all be looking like figure competitors.
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options

No...this is absolute bollocks. Things do not work like that.

Yes. That is EXACTLY how the body works.

No, I am afraid it isn't. Fat is never converted to muscle. As previous posters have said, they are 2 completely different things. When you are in a deficit you lose both fat and muscle (one does not convert to the other). Both fat and muscle is broken down to provide energy. You build muscle by putting strain on it and causing little micro tears (which is the reason you get post workout pain). When these micro tears repair, they repair to become stronger, and if your lifting and nutrition is correct, bigger, which is how you gain muscle.

You gain fat by eating at a surplus, and the body stores the extra energy as a fat reserve.

Also, even with all the exercise, unfortunately, if you are at a calorie deficit you will almost never build muscle. It will become stronger, sure, but not bigger. By creating a deficit you are making the body go to the energy reserves, i.e. fat and muscle, and breaks these down for the extra calories. The body does not want to waste precious energy creating new muscle when it is already at a deficit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

OMG that would be amazing!

It'd be like all the focus on macros, calories and progressive resistance just was a total waste of time

I could just walk

Awesome

I so want this to be true
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    OP, there's nothing wrong with eating Subway while you're losing. As long as it fits into your calorie goal for the day, it's fine. And, like everyone else has said, assuming your tracking is on point the scale will move.

You know that - you've already lost 30 lbs. Congrats.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It'd be like all the focus on macros, calories and progressive resistance just was a total waste of time

I could just walk

Awesome

I have an orange on my desk but I really want an apple. The same principle applies, right?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I could just walk

Awesome

I have an orange on my desk but I really want an apple. The same principle applies, right?

You need to really focus I think
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I walk 7 days a week, most days are 10+ miles. I can guarantee none of my fat has turned to muscle. It would be cool if that's how it worked, but No..

• BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Just as FYI, I go to Subway almost every day and I get either a 6-inch BLT or a 6-Inch Oven Roasted Chicken breast on wheat with lettuce, tomato, onions, green peppers, and black pepper. I also get Utz BBQ chips (regular) and Diet Coke (bottle). I'm on a slightly restricted sodium diet (doctor wants me to keep it under 2000 mg a day) and this takes about a 1000 all by itself, but I can make this work into my diet/schedule. I am able to stay under my calorie goal and I have been losing steadily. Since March 2015, I have lost over 60lbs.
  • HowlinAl
    HowlinAl Posts: 277 Member
    Options

I could just walk

Awesome

+1 lol. I can find a way to use this fantastic quote every single day.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    HowlinAl wrote: »

I could just walk

Awesome

+1 lol. I can find a way to use this fantastic quote every single day.

Agreed. I'm adding this to my repetoire.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It's normal.

Weight loss should always be viewed through a long-term lens, NOT as day to day or week to week fluctuations.

Some weeks you'll lose, some you'll stay the same, some you'll *gasp* gain a pound or two. That's how it works.

Make sure the long-term trend continues to be downward, and if THAT ever changes, then make adjustments if necessary.

+1 on this.

OP I lost about 30 lbs and am currently maintaining. My weight fluctuates within a 4 lb range at different times of the day, days of the week, and weeks out of the month. I know it is frustrating and we want to see immediate results based on direct causal relationships - but it just doesn't work like that. Give it time, keep up what you are doing, and I am sure you will see the results you are looking for.

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier I lost every single week, I didn't believe I was whoosh type of loser. I am post menopausal and low sodium so I avoid the typical water retention pitfalls. I experienced my first multi-week stall about a month ago, followed by a nice whoosh of weight loss. I was grateful that I had lost 50 lbs with a regular pattern of a loss every week, because I trusted the process, but I was still a little scared every day the scale didn't go down. Just keep at it and the results will come.
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree with the sodium at subway! when I was eating there regularly, even just a veggie sandwich I was gaining weight. it was probably water weight though too, the bread is crazy with sodium which makes me plump!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

I was waiting for the punchline here.....then I realized you were actually being serious???
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You're not going to lose weight every week. That's just part of the process. Some people do, but many have weeks where they don't lose weight. Patience is required!

Also, if you did way more walking than normal, you may have picked up a little "water weight" which will drop off over time. It *could* mask an actual loss.

Stick with it. You'll get there. :)
  • lbrodnax83
    lbrodnax83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Subway... Chipotle...both of them hit me with the sodium. I've just NOW figured out how to eat at a salad bar and not retain a gazillion pounds. Keep it up girl- you're doing good!
  • aliciahardinhall
    aliciahardinhall Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    FatSwatter wrote: »
    Don't give up! That's what your body wants you to do but you have to fight hard by continuing to do what you know you should do. It takes a while for your body to finally give in but trust me, it will happen. I was in a similar situation for about 5 weeks but suddenly dropped 4 pounds. I know I didn't have a 14,000 calorie deficit overnight. That's when my body finally gave in to my mind and said "fine, you win!" Keep determined and the rest will follow. :smile:
    lbrodnax83 wrote: »
    Subway... Chipotle...both of them hit me with the sodium. I've just NOW figured out how to eat at a salad bar and not retain a gazillion pounds. Keep it up girl- you're doing good!