Need help with weight? Intermediate fasting is the answer!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Echoing what others have said and that everyone needs methods tailored to their personality/body so it's not THE answer, but simply an answer. That said, it's been my answer. I never would have gotten this far without having the myths surrounding intermittent fasting dispelled on this forum for me. And yeah, I get off my butt and exercise too.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Heck, if I ate to my hunger cues--wait, I did that and that's how I got fat. At least I thought I was hungry every time I ate something.

I have to be aware now of whether I'm truly hungry or just bored or thirsty or just want a cookie for the heck of it. That's not an eating disorder, it's being aware of what and how much I am eating during the day. It works best for me to eat between 12:00 and 6:00 every day. (although I have been known to eat a small treat later in the evening if I still have calories left. :) )
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    How many people stop eating at an arbitrary time at night because Dr. Oz/Oprah/someone told them to? How is this any different? Or do they all have an "eating disorder," too?

People who listen and follow Dr Oz definitely have disordered thinking.
  • sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Personally I adore fasting. It's helped me understand my cues for hunger/ thirst, aided me in losing weight and enabled me to feel so much better than I did this time a year ago.

Not for everyone, sure, but you could say the same about anything.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Intermittent fasting=Starve/Binge cycle=Disordered eating

How about just eating normally, managing calories and getting off one's butt and exercising?
    IF does not qualify as Disordered.

No matter what someone does, someone else will say it is "disordered." People seem to think this word is like "clean" or "moderation" where everyone gets to make up their own definitions. It's not.

IF doesn't exclude exercise, either. Like anything else, one can choose to exercise or not.

http://www.eatright.org/resource/health/diseases-and-conditions/eating-disorders/what-is-disordered-eating

-According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-Text Revision), disordered eating is defined as "a wide range of irregular eating behaviors that do not warrant a diagnosis of a specific eating disorder."-

Rigid food restriction to certain days or windows eg X hrs, which is what intermittent fasting is, IS in fact considered one of the many signs or habits of disordered eating patterns even though it doesn't rise to the level or severity of a clinical eating disorder. The fact that it's generally accepted, popular and 'works', doesn't change this fact.

What if I just don't feel like eating breakfast and instead consume my calories from Noon onward? All of a sudden I'm labeled as disordered?

Then you'd be following your body's natural cues for hunger and satiation which is NORMAL. Intermittent fasting on the other hand requires you to eat within a certain time frame regardless of what your body needs. If you're hungry during fasting hours, you're supposed just suck it up and count down the hours until your next feeding window. And then, when it's time and you start eating, you're trying to cram your calories in within that period.

What if you're full and you've only eaten half the amount? You've got to fit your macros in, right? So you keep eating, even after your body tells you it's satisfied. That sounds like disordered eating to me.

If I need to eat 1700 calories to create a deficit, from a weight loss standpoint, it doesn't matter what time I eat it, the deficit will be the same. But if I choose to IF within say 6 hr window, that's a huge volume of food to eat in a short time. It's essentially bingeing because I'm forced to eat past the point of fullness, even though I'm not overeating my calories. What part of all this starve/binge process is normal and natural? NONE of it.

What's normal is allowing oneself to respond to hunger and fullness naturally. That's how people get fat in the first place because they don't know how to listen to their bodies and keep eating even after they've already eaten.
    While I, too, follow my hunger, it's not the only way to diet. IF is one of many ways to deprive yourself of the calories you need so that your body will have to burn some fat for energy. There are many ways and everyone is entitled to choose their own. I support IF. There are many ways of dieting I might support that I think are ridiculous or possibly not the safest way to go about it, but I don't think IF is either unsafe (in any way) or ridiculous. It's just not what I happen to do.

You're wrong about this "IF = Disordered" business, but I'm not going to keep up a "No, it's not!", "Yes, it's is!" argument. Disagree again, I won't quibble. But you'll still be wrong.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    IF does not deprive calories and this is not a diet and no it is not the answer.

It is a name given to an eating schedule to choose to break fast at anytime you see fit. And put an end time to your eating before bed...

That's all it is..
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    How many people stop eating at an arbitrary time at night because Dr. Oz/Oprah/someone told them to? How is this any different? Or do they all have an "eating disorder," too?

People who listen and follow Dr Oz definitely have disordered thinking.

+1
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I fast while I sleep.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I fast while I sleep.

Disordered!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Is intermediate fasting slightly more complicated than simple fasting, but not quite at the level of professional fasting?

**snort**

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

If I need to eat 1700 calories to create a deficit, from a weight loss standpoint, it doesn't matter what time I eat it, the deficit will be the same. But if I choose to IF within say 6 hr window, that's a huge volume of food to eat in a short time. It's essentially bingeing because I'm forced to eat past the point of fullness, even though I'm not overeating my calories. What part of all this starve/binge process is normal and natural? NONE of it.
    <3

I can think of many meals/snacks/foods that would be calorie dense that would not have me feeling full to the breaking point. And it wouldn't even be considered a binge. It would be considered a lovely meal with a lovely dessert. I guess that's disordered though.

I'm sorry but the baby. Those cheeks!!!!!!!! <3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I support whatever safe, sane, and consensual method adults want to employ ;)