First day without any candy

Options
PihlaLV
PihlaLV Posts: 11 Member
So yeah I'm kind of addicted to sugar and chocolate etc. BUT this was the first day I willingly did not eat chocolate (I usually eat a candybar everyday or something like that)! It's actually a big deal for me so I'm proud of myself! My brother went to the store about an hour ago and he asked if I wanted anything and for the first time in weeks I said no! I know it's just the first day but I'm trying to stay positive for the future.

Replies

• lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Great job! Stick with that and keep going.
  • Mosiak
    Mosiak Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This is huge! I'm a life long sugar addict and I ate candy every single day, and I quit it completely 2 weeks ago. It sucked but then you get used to it, and your body gets used to not having it. You will feel better skipping the candies.

Good job! :D excellent work, This is most definitely the right direction.
  • rhianna818
    rhianna818 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Giving up candy was one of my first steps too! What worked for me was taking a post it and writing No Candy? then under that I put M-T-W-Th-F-S-S and on the days I was successful I would circle that day and if I ate candy I would put an X. I also had a few others like no soda and no fast food. And I kept those in my daily planner that I carry every where. Now I rarely do eat candy and if I do its no biggie, just track it and move on.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Congrats, that's a great first step! The bigger victories are really just a compilation of the smaller victories, like this one.

I should probably consider trying this goal. I'm not even really a sweets/candy person (give me salty carbs) but I've been inhaling candy corn and other Halloween candy like it's a food group lately. Probably not ideal nutrition.
  • PihlaLV
    edited October 2015
    Options
    rhianna818 wrote: »
    Great job!! Giving up candy was one of my first steps too! What worked for me was taking a post it and writing No Candy? then under that I put M-T-W-Th-F-S-S and on the days I was successful I would circle that day and if I ate candy I would put an X. I also had a few others like no soda and no fast food. And I kept those in my daily planner that I carry every where. Now I rarely do eat candy and if I do its no biggie, just track it and move on.

Great tip! Thanks a lot! :smile:
  • PihlaLV
    Options
    Mosiak wrote: »
    Congratulations! This is huge! I'm a life long sugar addict and I ate candy every single day, and I quit it completely 2 weeks ago. It sucked but then you get used to it, and your body gets used to not having it. You will feel better skipping the candies.

Good job! :D excellent work, This is most definitely the right direction.

Good to hear I'm not the only one with this! And good for you
  • PihlaLV
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    Congrats, that's a great first step! The bigger victories are really just a compilation of the smaller victories, like this one.

I should probably consider trying this goal. I'm not even really a sweets/candy person (give me salty carbs) but I've been inhaling candy corn and other Halloween candy like it's a food group lately. Probably not ideal nutrition.

:blush:
    We don't celebrate, if you can call it celebrating, Halloween in my country and I was always so bitter about it but thanks to you I just realized the only good reason about it! Little to none Halloween candy!! :D
  • The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yup, sugar and heroin affect the same pleasure centers of the brain. Each day does get better. Before you know it you won't even be thinking about it. But, if you decide to eat some it will be back. Just sayin'. Good job on your first day. It's not easy. Huge accomplishment
  • Mosiak
    Mosiak Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yup, sugar and heroin affect the same pleasure centers of the brain. Each day does get better. Before you know it you won't even be thinking about it. But, if you decide to eat some it will be back. Just sayin'. Good job on your first day. It's not easy. Huge accomplishment

I agree, Last year I attempted to quit candy but also allowing me cheat days once a week, where I could have a little bit of candy, well it did not take long for me to lose control of it. This time around I am just not going to eat candy ever, I just wont buy it, and I wont eat it! I can't control it, so I skip it completely.
  • PihlaLV
    Options

I agree, Last year I attempted to quit candy but also allowing me cheat days once a week, where I could have a little bit of candy, well it did not take long for me to lose control of it. This time around I am just not going to eat candy ever, I just wont buy it, and I wont eat it! I can't control it, so I skip it completely.

Both are actually really helpful!! Thank you!
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

Very, very true. I stopped eating chocolate 12 weeks ago and I don't even think about it now. I stopped dead as I knew that if I had a small bit, I wouldn't stop until I'd eaten the whole bar. It probably took a week or so not to crave it. My children still occasionally eat it and it doesn't bother me in the slightest these days. I don't even consider going down the sweets aisle of my local supermarket anymore, yet 12 weeks ago it was a regular haunt! Had I kept up my previous bad habits around chocolate consumption I would not be where I am now with my weight loss - and I get more satisfaction from knowing that I've lost 25% of my excess weight than I would from eating a bar of chocolate a night :smile: