Grilling under 500 calories

Options
I'm planning on grilling tonigh, as I do most summer nights. I've been getting a bit bored with some of my normal go to meals (salmon, chicken, zucchini, broccoli, turkey sausage)

Any tips for spicing things up on the grill and keeping it to around 500 calories?

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• khstafford
    khstafford Posts: 19
    Options
    chicken kabobs with pepers onions ect..
    edamame grilled in tin foil
    grilled pineaple
    Turkey Burgers
    Mushroom caps
  • sar586
    sar586 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    sweet corn
    extra lean ground beef burgers
    pork chops
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    shrimp and asparagus.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I loved grilled veggies and some grilled chicken. Or turkey burgers.
    Veggies that I grill are:
    tomatoes
    mushrooms
    asparagus
    green onions
    peppers
    zucdhini
    I toss with a little olive oil and italian seasoning once cooked. Or ICBINT spray works well for that too.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Asparagus with some olive oil and garlic grilled in tinfoil
    Veggie burgers (home made or store bought)...caramelize some onions in advance for a topping!
    Throw a sweet potato on the top rack and iet it roast. Mmmm.
    Make new marinades for your salmon or chicken and make skewers out of them, with veg like coloured peppers, button mushrooms, zucchini, onions, etc. I love a maple-soy marinade for salmon.

Grilling is great.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Grilled Chicken Burgers...PHENOMENAL
    Stuffed grilled anything (like burgers, chicken breasts, etc) ..you can stuff with spinach and ricotta cheese..MM MM MMM
    Grilled veggies..DELISH
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i love to do shrimp on the grill, turkey burgers, chicken sausage, and corn is always nice :)
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'm going to grill up some prawns tonight in a spicy sauce and some corn as well. I plan on serving it over a salad of lettuce, tomatoes, spring onions and avocado with a dressing of fat free sour cream mixed with salsa. Pineapple on the side too!
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers

I watched the recent episode of Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition (Alex) and they showed him how to make turkey burgers for less calories and stuffed with low fat cheese and turkey bacon. They looked so good ! They bbq'd them on a grill and said with the bun, lettuce and tomato it was only like 400 something calories......

Here is the link (if it works) to the video they posted on facebook showing them make the burgers.
  • tangoterry
    tangoterry Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I made these last week and left the trail mix off to save calories and used small bananas. They were a super yummy sweet treat to top off our weekend grilled meal.

HOT QUICK BANANA BOATS

4 Servings Size

4 large bananas (unpeeled)
    8 teaspoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
    8 teaspoons trail mix
    1/4 cup miniature marshmallow

Directions:
    Prep Time: 10 mins

Total Time: 15 mins
    1 Place each banana on a 12-in. square of foil; crimp and shape foil around bananas so they sit flat.
    2 Cut each banana lengthwise about 1/2 inches deep, leaving 1/2 inches uncut at both ends. Gently pull each banana peel open, forming a pocket. Fill pockets with chocolate chips, trail mix and marshmallows.
    3 Grill bananas, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until marshmallows are melted and golden brown.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/hot-quick-banana-boats-431297#ixzz1Oi7IZgIDot of calories!
  • Riotactor10
    Options
    Wow! Awesome ideas everyone - I ended up doing some turkey sausage again tonight but I plan on shopping for a few of these things this weekend and giving them a shot....kabobs are always good and I never make the time to put some together. I'm interested in doing the sweet potato on the top rack (how long should that cook for?).

Thanks again everyone!
  • slchristensen
    Options
    bump
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wow! Awesome ideas everyone - I ended up doing some turkey sausage again tonight but I plan on shopping for a few of these things this weekend and giving them a shot....kabobs are always good and I never make the time to put some together. I'm interested in doing the sweet potato on the top rack (how long should that cook for?).

Thanks again everyone!

Depending on the grill temp, around 1 hr. Sweet potatoes bake @ 350-400 for that long in the oven.

Another good idea; 93/7 ground beef, chop fine (like bread crumbs) some mushrooms and onions. Add favorite seasoning to this mixture, maybe some worcestershire or steak sauce, then blend all of t into the burgers. A 6 oz pre-cooked burger (mixed with the other stuff makes it 6 oz) is only 187 cals. Slice up some zucchini, yellow squash, and another onion, toss these with olive oil and s&p, then grill until slightly browned. Use a veggie grate to keep them from falling through.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options

Thanks again everyone!

Depending on the grill temp, around 1 hr. Sweet potatoes bake @ 350-400 for that long in the oven.

Another good idea; 93/7 ground beef, chop fine (like bread crumbs) some mushrooms and onions. Add favorite seasoning to this mixture, maybe some worcestershire or steak sauce, then blend all of t into the burgers. A 6 oz pre-cooked burger (mixed with the other stuff makes it 6 oz) is only 187 cals. Slice up some zucchini, yellow squash, and another onion, toss these with olive oil and s&p, then grill until slightly browned. Use a veggie grate to keep them from falling through.

I slice my sweet potatoes into rounds and grill them. they don't take as long and they get a litle more charing on them which I like.
  • luna88
    luna88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For sweet potatoe I usually peal it and cut it into small cubes. I wrap with tin foil a little butter and splenda brown sugar. It is freaking amazing and it doesn't take long to cook as it is in smaller portions. We always grill veggies in tin foil with a little olive oil and seasoning. Recently i've been grilling my fish in foil with a some lemon and onions and it's really good too! :)