10 lbs in a month?

Options
What sort of calorie goal would I have to maintain in order to accomplish this goal? I'm 5'4" 122 lbs

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    At your size, 10 pounds in a months is going to be unattainable without eating at dangerously low levels. Aim for half a pound a week instead and be patient. You didn't put that all on in one month, so it's not going to come off in one month.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    At your size, 10 pounds in a months is going to be unattainable without eating at dangerously low levels. Aim for half a pound a week instead and be patient. You didn't put that all on in one month, so it's not going to come off in one month.

This.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hahaha, no.

Seriously. At your current weight, achieving that rate of weight loss will be detrimental to your body (lots of muscle loss, hair loss, looking like you're half dead. Trust me on this). That's a 35,000 calorie deficit, which equates to about a 1,166 calorie deficit per day. At your age and weight, your TDEE is probably around 1550-1800 (I'm a similar age have similar stats, though my TDEE is in the low 1500s). That'll equate to only eating about 400-700 calories a day (when the bare MINIMUM for women is 1200 calories in order to prevent nutrient deficiencies).

With your stats, you'll probably do best shooting for between a quarter and a half pound lost per week (125-250 calorie deficit per day). Using the same TDEE, you'll then be eating around 1300-1400, which will ultimately be more sustainable.

Also consider that losing weight might not be the best option either. At your weight, you could eat at your maintenance calories, lift heavily, and work on doing a body recomp (gaining muscle while maybe losing fat), though the process will take months-years.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Not going to happen. Pick a more reasonable goal.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're 5'4" and 122 pounds, why does your profile say you want to lose 36 pounds? You're already in a healthy weight range and should not be trying to lose any more than .5 lb/wk. Also, as a PP mentioned, you may want to look at recomping.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Not happening, sorry.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Saw off an arm maybe? ???
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    beri0110 wrote: »
    What sort of calorie goal would I have to maintain in order to accomplish this goal? I'm 5'4" 122 lbs

Just do the math.
    10 pounds = 35,000 calories
    30 days / 35,000 = 1,166 calorie deficit per day
    Your current maintenance calories - 1166 = unrealistic
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You are a very healthy weight. Encouraging you to lose a further 10 lbs (and in a MONTH!) would be irresponsible of us.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    beri0110 wrote: »

what they said

But what do you want to acheive? It can't just be scale weight changes there must be something that you are unhappy with in the look of your body

Anyone with these kind of stats who still are looking to drastic, quick weightloss make me concerned that they don't appreciate the difference between body composition and scale weight

so what do you want?
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have similar goals to yours and I've been struggling to lose weight for a while. I finally got under 120 with lots of hard work but I still have a ways to go. You will feel hungry often. Feel free to friend me on here so we can support each other.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have similar goals to yours and I've been struggling to lose weight for a while. I finally got under 120 with lots of hard work but I still have a ways to go. You will feel hungry often. Feel free to friend me on here so we can support each other.

Did you ever think that perhaps you are struggling because your methods are too harsh and unhealthy? I looked at your diary and of course it's a miserable process for you. You're not eating enough. No need to encourage the OP to join in on an unhealthy and likely unsuccessful path.... there are healthier ways to go about it that will have you feeling better.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    OP you are 122lb, your profile shows you want to lose 36lb, I hope that is an error...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I recently went from 119 to 111 and it doesn't have to be a huge struggle (although it does require a lot of accuracy and daily consistency). Here is what worked for me -- keep your deficit tiny, make sure you're weighing all solids, eat lots of fiber (I get 40 grams a day, minimum), and, if you're already doing regular cardio and resistance training, add some non-taxing daily activity (I added a daily lunch walk of 18-30 minutes five days a week). I wasn't hungry often (except in the hour or so before meals).

If I had tried to lose a pound or two a week, it would have been really hard -- but taking it slower really helped.