BMI info

Options
Hi there I'm 25 and 5'1 and currently weigh 185lbs.
What would you say is a good weight for someone my height? There's a lot of conflicting opinions with the BMI so I thought I would reach out to other people. I used to weigh 357lbs so I've come a long way but I know I've got a long way to go as well.
I know according to the BMI chart I should be between 105-120lbs but what are your thoughts?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The perfect weight for you, is where YOU feel comfortable with yourself. Others thoughts are irrelevant.
  • kldm0021
    kldm0021 Posts: 9 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I meant health wise lol as due to the BMI chart right now I'm considered obese
  • kldm0021
    Options
    Does anyone actually follow the BMI chart? Is it worth following?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    kldm0021 wrote: »

Remember, those don't take into account bone density or muscle mass, so they, like all online calculators are just guesstimates.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Many complain about BMI, but honestly, it is far more common for BMI to underestimate body fat than to overestimate, assuming one considers body fat a better predictor of health. The statistics are overwhelming in favor of better health BEING out of obese BMI. Overweight is a little ambiguous and diet and exercise might be more important for predicting health in that to normal range.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

It's a decent place to start and for most (especially most women), although when you are close to goal you may want to focus on body fat or simply how you look and feel, as it's a wide range.

For you it's something like 104 (for BMI 19) to 136 (for BMI 25). Where you want to be in that range will depend on build and how much muscle you have, among other things -- no need to decide now.

I find the BMI range to make sense for me (I'm 5'3).
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are you are kicking *kitten*, keep up the amazing effort.
    As for BMI, it's a guideline. When I was 80 lbs away from my upper BMI it seemed impossible, even stupid.
    But as I got closer it started seeming doable. Now I am about mid range. But honestly I quite looking at BMI and started using body fat % as a target somewhere along the way. I suspect that as you begin to read and learn about body fat percentages you will forget about the BMI charts
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would suggest aiming for the top of your healthy bmi range. After that, judge your "ideal weight" by what you see in the mirror.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    105-135 is your ideal range.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The BMI chart is a good estimate/target. When you get close to the high end of healthy BMI you'll have a better idea of what you will look and feel like and where you want to end up. Athletes and body builders often have so much muscle that they fall above the normal BMI range and that's just fine.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

When you get close to the goal, the doctor can help you figure out what range is best for your health. Other than that, it's all about how you like to see yourself. :)
  • lisaloolovesblue
    lisaloolovesblue Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    While it is true that the BMI chart is not for everyone (athletes, namely), it's a good rule for the general population. There will always be people saying that the BMI isn't accurate, but assuming you are one of the general population, you should be fine following it.

More accurate than the BMI is the body fat percentage. There are a couple ways to test this, some more accurate than others. My scale at home tells me this, so it shouldn't be that hard for you to figure out.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I am at the bottom of the BMI range for someone 5'1 103 lb( I am 105 in my avitar), with an average amount of muscle for my age, there are other people on the forum, same height, similar bust, hips, and waist, but weigh quite a few pound more than me. The difference is they have a better musculature.

You could pick a goal near the top of the BMI range, start a resistance/strength training programme now, and end up with a body you would be very please with.

At the moment you have extra muscle to move around your extra weight, if you work on retaining that muscle now, while losing fat ( some muscle will be lost, it is inevitable) you will avoid the skinny fat look that can happen when one lets their muscles atrophy during weight loss.

Just an idea to help you decide what is the best weight for you.

Cheers, h.
  • kldm0021
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! Here's a question as well, because I was so heavy I have massive (fatty lol) arms, what can I do at home other than weights, push ups and cardio (all of which I already do) to help tone my arms?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

It's a decent place to start and for most (especially most women), although when you are close to goal you may want to focus on body fat or simply how you look and feel, as it's a wide range.

For you it's something like 104 (for BMI 19) to 136 (for BMI 25). Where you want to be in that range will depend on build and how much muscle you have, among other things -- no need to decide now.

I find the BMI range to make sense for me (I'm 5'3).

THIS

For me, I think the lower end of BMI is more appropriate for my build.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Circles, circles, circles. Hold some canned goods that you AREN'T going to eat in each hand, all the way out to the sides of you and rotate. Do so until you can't anymore, then do some more. Be sure to alernate forward rotations (small circles) and backward ones. Very gentle way to kill those bingo flaps!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Aim for maximum BMI

Reassess as you near it

It's a good enough measure when you're obese and fits the majority...you're probably not an exception! but you may become a bodybuilder and naturally fall outside the maximum! who knows?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    Circles, circles, circles. Hold some canned goods that you AREN'T going to eat in each hand, all the way out to the sides of you and rotate. Do so until you can't anymore, then do some more. Be sure to alernate forward rotations (small circles) and backward ones. Very gentle way to kill those bingo flaps!

LOL...nope
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! Here's a question as well, because I was so heavy I have massive (fatty lol) arms, what can I do at home other than weights, push ups and cardio (all of which I already do) to help tone my arms?

Lose the weight through a calorie defecit

Heavy, progressive lifting programme

You can't spot reduce and tone doesn't exist, just lower body fat and bigger / more visible musculature
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I was actually wondering this lately..

When I went to my Dr a few months ago, he mentioned that the BMI scale had me as 'overweight'. Fair enough - I lose the weight and I am now classed as 'Healthy' (according to the BMI scale). Having said that, I am now at a point where I will be gaining weight because I am looking to build serious lean muscle. So in a few months time when I visit my Dr again - I may well be a little on the'overweight' side again, according to the BMI scale - yet be in better shape than ever before and have less fat than last time.. Hmmm.