Any Fit-60s out there?

Options
I'm guessing most of us are too active to bother with MFP community stuff, but I'm curious if there are any other 60+ users getting in shape. What's working for you?

I ran marathons in my 50s. Quit running, but kept eating at a marathon pace. Didn't catch myself until last May. I've lost about 35 pounds, about 25 left to go. Walking 3.5 mph x 60 minutes a day now, and started lifting dumbbells at home.

How are you keeping fit in your 60s?

Replies

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I am not 60 but I workout with a lady in crossfit that is 65. She is awesome and does things I cant like handstand push ups :P
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 62, never been, nor will be a runner.

I used to walk at a 4.1 mph for 10km races, walk 45 min at 4.5mph, I don't walk much right now.

Exercise has never been my forte, so I am not married to one form or sport, I like variety.

This winter I am strength training x3 using hand weights, body weigh and machines, continuing learning to swim, using the indoor rowing machine for cardio 30x3, doing Zumba once a week for the fun of it, and yoga on Sundays with my SO as he was interested in increasing his flexibility.

That sounds like a big list but really it is in general an hour a day, anymore and I burn out.

I am interested in staying functionally fit so I can lead the life I love for as long as I can.

Cheers, h.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started my journey at 59 and now am 60. Not a runner at all, but at least I am able to jog very short distances now, which I could not do before. 16 months ago I could not walk 1/4 mile without excruciating foot, knee, and hip pain and rest stops to go any further. This summer I walked 5K and 10K events in very good time with no stops and no pain.

My current routine, which I've recently expanded, is strength training with a personal trainer 30 min 2x/week, metabolic circuit class 60 min 1x/week, a low impact fitness with a variety of training methods 45 min 1-2x/week, yoga 45 min 1-2x/week and walk about 9,000 steps per day. I also have an elliptical, dumbbells, resistance bands, TRX, and other equipment at home that I use as needed. I do not lift "heavy" as people here say, but my weights and abilities have progressed steadily and continue to do so every 2-4 weeks.

I cannot even begin to describe the improvement in strength, endurance, and functionality that I have gained as a result of my hard work. I do not want to go back where I was. Ever. Again.

SW 301
    CW 188
    GW 150
    16 months
  • revzillia
    revzillia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the 60's but will be someday. I'm 55. Although I've been working out exercising all my life I like the beach body programs Insanity/ p90x or body beast I feel they are all well balanced Give it a shot. If you can t do something. Either rest or modify You lol get thru it and see improvements. Also biking is easy on knees Jc
  • dewey1971
    dewey1971 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thx I'll check it out
  • dewey1971
    dewey1971 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I started my journey at 59 and now am 60. Not a runner at all, but at least I am able to jog very short distances now, which I could not do before. 16 months ago I could not walk 1/4 mile without excruciating foot, knee, and hip pain and rest stops to go any further. This summer I walked 5K and 10K events in very good time with no stops and no pain.

My current routine, which I've recently expanded, is strength training with a personal trainer 30 min 2x/week, metabolic circuit class 60 min 1x/week, a low impact fitness with a variety of training methods 45 min 1-2x/week, yoga 45 min 1-2x/week and walk about 9,000 steps per day. I also have an elliptical, dumbbells, resistance bands, TRX, and other equipment at home that I use as needed. I do not lift "heavy" as people here say, but my weights and abilities have progressed steadily and continue to do so every 2-4 weeks.

I cannot even begin to describe the improvement in strength, endurance, and functionality that I have gained as a result of my hard work. I do not want to go back where I was. Ever. Again.

SW 301
    CW 188
    GW 150
    16 months

Fantastic. You've come a long ways. Keep up the good work!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep - pump iron twice a week. Intervals on elipticle twice a week. Feeling fine. :)