Cold weather gear

Options
i would love to keep running through the cold weather, 30 here in RI today which has me thinking of my winter plan. What are your must haves for gear? I don't want to spend too much, but I want to be prepared. I run 3-5miles at a time.

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Must haves for me: insulated running tights (usually fleece lined or "brushed" or something like that), a light jacket/hoodie, and either a hat or thick headband to keep my ears warm. You'll probably also want to look at gloves and a windbreaker type jacket if you'll be running outside on snowy/blustery days. Though it might be expensive-ish now, this gear should last multiple winters, so it's worth the investment!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Your needs are based on how cold it gets and your own personal cold tolerance and successful winter running is based on layers.

Personally I wear shorts down to a few degrees below freezing (but I'm a crazy Canuck) a pair of tights (I don't own any "winter weight" ones, for really cold weather I'll wear a merino wool base layer under mid weight tights - that way I don't need to buy separate tights for fall winter spring plus you can always use your base layer under other clothes on really cold days)

For your feet merino wool socks are light but warm (and wool stays warm if you get it wet) you may also want to consider a gore tex trail shoe if you have slushy winters. Up here it's cold enough that my feet don't normally get wet from the snow so I'll use my normal runners for most of the winter.

For your torso again a base layer for really cold days, a long sleeve wicking shirt and a couple of different weight fleece layers topped with a running shell for wind protection. Hats & gloves may involve a little trial and error, most of the winter I just wear a regular toque. If it gets really, really cold a balaclava is nice to have too.

I agree with the above poster, get quality gear (on sale if possible - you can usually save on "last year's" stuff) it'll last for years.

Ideally you should be a little chilly at the start of your run, you will warm up so don't overdress. Winter running can be a lot of fun if you're dressed properly!

kce9qkodoh68.jpg
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    so far (this is my first cold weather season)
    i have a few fleeced lined leggings
    fleece lined shirts for layering
    windbreaker that has glow in the dark/reflective sleeves
    warm headband/ear cover so i can wear a hat too if i want-reflective
    gortex trailshoes
    light northface gloves
    reflective armbands

I hope to get either a baklava or turtle fur, smart wool or comparable, and some other reflective gear for Christmas.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Must haves for me: insulated running tights (usually fleece lined or "brushed" or something like that), a light jacket/hoodie, and either a hat or thick headband to keep my ears warm. You'll probably also want to look at gloves and a windbreaker type jacket if you'll be running outside on snowy/blustery days. Though it might be expensive-ish now, this gear should last multiple winters, so it's worth the investment!

All of this stuff. I like to layer fleecy tights under looser ones when it's really cold (I hate being cold!). It's all about the layers! I even layer my gloves if it's really cold (did I mention I hate being cold?!). I also like a fleecy balaklava when it gets close to or below 0 F.

I'd recommend picking up 1 or 2 items at a time and deciding what else you need as you go. You don't want to buy a bunch of stuff and then not end up needing half of it.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

And to add to my suggestions: if you'll be running in the dark (likely, since daylight hours will be so short), definitely get a reflective vest and/or lights. Won't keep you warm, but safety is important!
  • cmed24
    cmed24 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!