Onigiri and Bento Boxes

Options
Yes or No?
Onigiri any good?Specific brands of rice to look at? Filling ideas-ranging from traditional to with a twist or a combo of the two?
Do Bento boxes actually help you control portion sizes? I've been looking at bentology and I don't want to be drawn into a fad.

Replies

• Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Don't know about onigiri except that it's more rice than I care to eat in a sitting, but my problem with bento boxes is that the set I have isn't large enough for my monstrous salads. I still weigh everything that goes into my cute little boxes when I bother to use my set. Mostly I just use regular reusable containers and a bag.
  • LadyFlexible
    LadyFlexible Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I can see that can be a pain in the butt. I could live with that much rice. As long it's varied and has some intervals.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I got this one at walmart. I think its rubbermaid. I spent $7. It seals tight. I wouldnt pack soup in it, but so far its great. onz0y92jpfcd.png
    It holds my big *kitten* salads. I like it because I eat a salad almost everyday at work and I can just kind of throw everything in and I know approximately how big my portions are. Im not big on weighing my vegetables and other low cal foods, but I do measure out my hummus, salad dressing, protein etc
  • LadyFlexible
    Options
    Oo very nice! Personally I'm not a soup fan. I'm very picky about soup. That looks very nice, though.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Bento boxes vary in size- bentology is good for most American style foods, but too small for most green salad based meals. Asian style boxes are good for more nutrient dense, smaller portions of food.

For rice, find what works for you. For onigiri, you are going to want a sticky Japanese type rice like calrose. But watch calories.

I have way too many bento box type lunch boxes, one of my goals over this winter is to thin them. Most are Asian style boxes from stores like Daiso, so cheap. The ones I've been using the most lately are my bentology boxes. But I also weigh.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Here is a thread about using bento boxes. I use them and I've gotten good ideas from the thread. They help my control my portions.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/34357920#Comment_34357920
  • LadyFlexible
    Options
    I might try the Asian style boxes. Is Nigiri any good? Do you know any good fillings?

You can send them my way!

@Sun fish They do seem like they are great for portion control.

• thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    FYI, if you have Amazon prime, it a deal of the day today.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite website http://justbento.com/ So many good recipes! Personally I don't like stuffed onigiri. My daughter bought furikake, and to me it's not pleasing to eat. We just make plain onigiri. Calrose works really well, it's a starchy short grain and it is sticky. Most Asian grocery stores will sell the nori that is precut into small squares. This is much easier for us than trying to cut them from a big sheet. My favorite part of bentos is it's easier to get all of the food groups into my kids this way. Just Bento has some cool templates and planning guides that are also helpful.

Have fun!
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    There is a Bento box group on the forums that is pretty active. They have helped me make my Bento boxes pretty and fast.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

throw the boxes away
    weighing food with a scale and logging works 100 times better
    a billion times better !!!

So what do you take your lunch to work in?