Emotional Eating

Options
Had a rough past 1 1/2 week with some family issues and unfortunately I fell off my plan and ate things I shouldn't have! I didn't eat a lot, just the wrong stuff! (Fast foods, sweets ect...) Unfortunately, it caused me to gain back about 3 1/2#. I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but when you've lost so much at get to a certain point, even 3 1/2 # feels like 10#.

Trying to get my head back into the game! I still want to lose another 30#!! I get some people telling me I don't need to lose anymore but it's hard to know if those people are being honest or just saying it because they don't want to see someone succeed or to "look better" than them...make sense? I know I'm losing my weight for ME, but I also don't want to look "sick" (which I'm far from at this point).

Anyway...just venting..............

Replies

• TeenTchr
    TeenTchr Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm working on a Shrink Yourself program that is really helping a lot. To check it out go to ShrinkYourself.com. I've been able to identify the emotional triggers I have and work on ways to deal with them without eating.
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    I'm so sorry you've had a grievance! I haven't gained any back, but I don't think the weight is falling off as quickly as it could be due to the fact that my weekends are so unstructured! So I can feel your pain. It sucks working so hard and then having something else so easily not help you pay off all the work. You've done an amazing job taking off 70 lbs!! Any special secrets?! :) It's good you're paying attention to your body and you caught the gain early on. Jump back in the game and continue to take it off!
  • lovebeinGIGI
    lovebeinGIGI Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Teen, thanks!! I'll check that site out for sure!!

Whitaker, the counting calories is what has helped me in this journey! In the past, I would just eat "healthy" but not really count the calories. This time, I know exactly what is going into my body and keep track! That's my key!
  • CrazyAngel06
    Options
    gigipaula - I LOVE your before & after picture icon. That is really great! Good for you! I have a lot of trouble with emotional eating. As soon as I have a rough day I turn instantly to fast food & sweets. It's so horrible.

I am happy to say though that today when my husband got home & realized I was down, he offered to take me to Chili's (my favorite). I thought seriously about it because I had already been thinking I wanted Chili's today. After thinking it over though I told him I couldn't. I told him I needed to end my day by eating at home, counting my calories, and hitting the gym. I told him I knew that if I went to Chili's I would be eating my feelings & "Wallering" in my sadness and I would just end up feeling even worse about it.

I haven't used the forum yet, so I searched the topic "Emotion" & I found your story. :) Good luck on the rest of your journey!!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I got a lot of people telling me I didn't need to lose any more... And they were probably right that the NEED had gone, but why not go beyond what you need to what you want? Now no one tells me not to lose any more weight, they just ask how I did it!

You've come so far, you're stunning already, and you know what to do to go as far as you want :happy:
  • maryamhull
    maryamhull Posts: 13
    Options
    I struggle with emotional eating also. Like every day. I'm training for a 1/2 marathon and its at the end of the month and I haven't lost weight because I've been eating my exercise calories.. it soo frustrating. Today isn't an exception. I read something that I liked though. It said that emotional eating stems from low self esteem and how we can build our self esteem is (obviously) look at the positives. If you mess up and eat something you shouldn't, don't beat yourself up over it, instead think of the good choices or things you did during the day. Anyways, I liked it because its a step towards being more positive which should lend to less emotional eating :)
  • CrazyAngel06
    Options
    maryamhull - Great point! I love the positivity! :)

It's so true too. When I am feeling especially low is when I like to eat! Something that helps me..it may be silly, but it's me. lol I like to listen to Britney Spears. I have always been a big Britney fan, people can say what they want but she is beautiful and her music makes me feel girly & kind of sexy..makes me think of going out. Anyways, sometimes when I want to eat badly I turn on Britney Spears and it helps me remember how badly I want to lose weight & gain my self-esteem back. ;)

Good luck with your 1/2 marathon!