I Need Advice About Purchasing Weights

Options
I need to buy some weights/workout equipment. Where should I begin?? I've seen kettle weights, but have never used them. Would that be a good place to begin or should I buy some dumbbells? I don't have a lot of money to put into it, but I want to gradually build up to having a weight/workout room at home.

All input appreciated!
Vanessa

Replies

• hlblount77
    hlblount77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For a little over $30 at sports authority I got a set of six dumbells and a stand to put them in. The weights are 2, 3 and five lb weights so you can gradually increase. But that's a start. I also got one of the exercise balls, and I love it! It looks hard, but it's not and boy does it work those abs.
    Good luck!
  • bug120
    bug120 Posts: 1
    Options
    A good place to start looking is Craigs List. Used or new they still weight the same and it will save you $$$.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it because my treadmill came with some small handweights.
    If you have "Play It Again Sports," you could try there first. Instead of going with what others suggest, go to a store and test them out. See which ones you can handle better.

I'd check garage sales, craigslist, second hand stores...even Goodwill?

I totally get the money thing and I hate paying for something only to find I won't use it much.

Good luck!! :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Go to a local sports store and try out different sizes. I'd recommend 3lb, 5lb, and 10 lb weights. You will find that 10 is good for some workouts and not for others. You can also build up to higher weights as you go along. I recommend dumbbells to start with. They are inexpensive and effective.
  • tinamwilson
    Options
    Hi Vanessa...

I agree with the first poster - a stability ball is a great place to start because strengthening your core is super important and it's an easy way with very low impact. You can incorporate your weights with the ball as well. I have dumbbells as well as kettlebells-both are great but different. At this point in time you won't need anything higher than 10#. Walmart usually has some great buys for sets which will save you some $$$. I have also purchased on Ebay. I just got the Jillian Michaels Kettlebell 3 weight set for under $40.

Try them both out at the store to see what feels comfortable for you. You won't use it if it doesn't feel right. Best of luck!:flowerforyou:
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I agree, the best way to start out is with the dumbbells. Unless you are certain you want to start a full weight training regimine, then you would want to invest in a bench and a barbell. But, frankly, you can exercise your entire body with just dumbbells. I have never used the kettlebells or stability balls, but I am sure they are great additions. Anything that you will use is a plus.

If you go to http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/ you can search for exercises for each muscle group using only dumbbells, etc. and view the exercises and videos of how to do them properly. Good luck. Strength training makes me feel so strong when I am done, even if my muscles are maxed out and wobbly at the time.