That duh moment

Options
Have you ever had a moment where you slapped yourself on the forehead and thought DUH how have I been so ignorant? I had that moment 3 days ago. I was ready to give up on MFP because I was always starving. Base calories of 1200 plus excersize calories just weren't cutting it. I was starving ALLL THE TIME. I'm that give her a snickers grumpy kinda hungry person too so my family was suffering right alone with me and as a mom of 6 that was no Bueno. When all the sudden the skies opened up, the angelic choir started singing and BAM it hit me.

It wasn't the calorie number that was the problem it was how I was wasting the calories. I was eating the same food I had always eaten (not horrible junk food just well I'm that June cleaver kinda mom I cook and bake constantly for my family). I needed to change what I was eaten and not just how many calories. I swapped veggies for pasta sides. Turkey bacon for bacon, baked fries for fried and all kinds of other choices like low fat cottage cheese and pepperoni for a snack instead of a couple cookies.

Now I'm NEVER hungry. In fact I've had the opposite problem and have to eat more just because I am too far below my calorie intake.

LOVING MFP NOW!

Replies

• ElizabethPalm
    ElizabethPalm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yeah happened to me too. I was always 'snacking' on mayo filled chicken wraps and chocolates. Now I have grapes/apples/jello for sweet and soups/veggies for salty. Hardly ever hungry, in fact I tend to be under my cal goal most of the time :D
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Woo-hoo!

Yes, you've got it! It's like a budget--you can blow it all on fun stuff or you can spend it well on high-quality things.

Be careful with turkey bacon though...some brands have a LOT more salt than regular bacon. I don't have problems with salt consumption/water retention...except when I eat turkey bacon. A turkey burger or a grilled chicken breast would be an even better switch. Another thing to think about is using bacon as a garnish or flavoring (one piece) to go along with a lower-fat meat. A turkey patty with a strip of bacon, a roasted sweet potato and a kale salad topped with nuts/goat cheese/balsamic is a pretty tasty combination and something that you can likely fit into your budget.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The butterball ones I get normally is 2 slices for 35 calories and I have 4 for breakfast so not too bad at all. I did see some other brands that were basically the same as regular bacon though and I said nope lol
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    The butterball ones I get normally is 2 slices for 35 calories and I have 4 for breakfast so not too bad at all. I did see some other brands that were basically the same as regular bacon though and I said nope lol

Some brands have a LOT of salt and additives to make up for the lack of fat. Just something to be aware of!

• blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Some brands have a LOT of salt and additives to make up for the lack of fat. Just something to be aware of!

I just checked 337.5 for sodium for 5 slices... Is that bad?
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options

I just checked 337.5 for sodium for 5 slices... Is that bad?

Sodium is only if you have medical conditions that require you to limit sodium! Don't stress.