"You're not supposed to eat that"

Options
I hate that people don't understand the whole IIFYM thing and always want to critique what I am eating. I have lost 42 lbs. so far. I must be doing something right. Can you guys give me some pointers on how to handle naysayers?

Replies

• bearondiet
    bearondiet Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Unless you going to cut them off, you are going to have to repeat "I am doing fine; I am losing on weight on average; these are all calculated".
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    "I've lost 42 pounds in X months" would seem to do the trick.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    "I've lost 42 pounds in X months" would seem to do the trick.

This. You're obviously doing it right (and congrats on the great progress, btw). Tell them you track what you eat and treats fit into your goals just fine, thank you very much.
  • tthoma5201
    tthoma5201 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys. These are all great suggestions! I appreciate it!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    I can't believe people actually say that out loud to you! Terribly rude and intrusive. Guess I'd have to employ the "blank stare / silence" technique because if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all and I can't think of anything "nice" I'd say in response to that.

You're doing great, OP! Just ignore all the silly comments. Waste of energy responding.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Ignore them and carry on. You got this!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    tthoma5201 wrote: »
    I hate that people don't understand the whole IIFYM thing and always want to critique what I am eating. I have lost 42 lbs. so far. I must be doing something right. Can you guys give me some pointers on how to handle naysayers?

Who is critiquing you? Family? Friends? Co-workers?

I find that my stubborn streak (which is about 20 miles wide) can work against me in instances where people try to tell me what I "should" be doing or not doing. I will 100% of the time do the opposite. So I tend to not tell people I know what I intend to do. But yeah, if co-workers, just saying "I'm aware of what works, thank you", might be enough. If it's your family, you could maybe be a bit firmer: "it's up to me to worry about what I eat, not you" might be more appropriate. If friends, a slap to the side of the head with a "shut the hell up" :wink:
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'd ask right back "According to who?" Putting them in the position where they are forced to defend themselves is usually a good way to teach people to leave you alone if they don't want a big chore to do.

Basically, make them sorry for talking to you in the first place. The more you can waste their time defending their position to you, the better.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. :) I would not try to explain things to people who are trying to be annoying. Come up a with a standard reply that you stick to like: "This is what I eat. It works for me." Repeat.
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You can also tell them that the food has been planned in your calorie allowance for the day.
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Oh, another one, if you want to be rude, "Who made you the food police?"
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Is the person talking about weight loss or about general/long-term health?

What is the food in question?
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    "Really? You carry on thinking that, and I'll carry on losing weight eating what I want".
    (I have a low tolerance level for the food police)
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I HATE that. Sorry that it happens to you.

Yesterday someone told me on a Facebook post that I was going to "bounce" (put it all back on, I assume they meant) because I admitted to eating McDonalds within my calorie budget. It was a know-it-all personal trainer who is manic about the whole clean eating deal and knows very well that I have lost 11kgs so far.

Even weight loss does not shut these people up, they will just smile smugly and say things like "yeah, well lets see a year from now".

I suppose all you can do is be slim and awesome a year from now and bring it up with them every time you see them. "Have you noticed I have not bounced?" and then six months later ".. have you noticed I have still not bounced?" and keep doing it every couple of months until they scream and run when they see you coming, or until they apologize, whichever comes first.

• KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I've lost 125 lbs on IIFYM. My typical responses are something along the lines of "You mad I can eat (insert food here) and still lose over 100 lbs/still have normal vitals?" if they're snarky when they say something to me. If they're more inquisitive than snarky, I explain to them what I'm doing and how it's working for me.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Silently raise an eyebrow and stare at them until they begin to feel awkward.

Comment on what they're eating/wearing/doing and when they express irritation say "oh I though we were offering unsolicited advice!"
  • tanyamclattenburg
    tanyamclattenburg Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My response to that : "And?"
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    My response to that : "And?"

i like that one.
    to the OP i would either just laugh it off or tell them i am trying to eat the same things as normal but less of it.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    It's a good reason I don't tell people I am losing, apart from one friend I am doing this with and of course my doctor etc. It cuts down on the unhelpful advice.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    tthoma5201 wrote: »

I found that others around me feel uncomfortable about their health/fitness if they know I have lost weight or see that I generally keep in shape. It happens often. An example, I was at Subway the other day and two colleagues happen to be in front of me. One of them saw me and immediately talked about low calorie options and such, then ordered a simple turkey with light fixins and just mustard. He said something about eating right and I went ahead and ordered my normal foot long meatball on Italian herb with double provolone and lots of creamy Sriracha sauce with three cookies and a large Pepsi.

Seriously...it is other people's problem, not yours. I don't walk around judging others for their food choices, but I think they like to hold me accountable to false standards they can't keep themselves. Same things people do with politicians and pastors.

I normally don't talk with anyone about fitness or wear as a badge of courage like too many people do, but I do take it as an opportunity to educate them on caloric intake to help them understand a healthier lifestyle.