Weight loss plateau

Options
Can anyone help me? Been stuck in 74kg for months

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Can you give us more information? What are your stats? How much does MFP give you to eat? How are you determining how much you eat? How much, if any, of your exercise calories do you eat back?
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    whatever your calorie intake at the moment - reduce it by 10%. You're either under-logging calories consumed, or over-logging calories burned.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    whatever your calorie intake at the moment - reduce it by 10%. You're either under-logging calories consumed, or over-logging calories burned.

Not necessarily. A person on here was eating 1000 and plateaued and said she weighed her food... OP maybe try calorie cycling? Called zig zagging here. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

Not necessarily. A person on here was eating 1000 and plateaued and said she weighed her food... OP maybe try calorie cycling? Called zig zagging here. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
    If that's accurate -- probably not -- then 1000 was her maintenance level. Loss and gain are about deficit and surplus, not zig-zagging.

• qiaralim
    qiaralim Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Can you give us more information? What are your stats? How much does MFP give you to eat? How are you determining how much you eat? How much, if any, of your exercise calories do you eat back?
    i ate 1400 cal now
  • qiaralim
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

1000 calories r too low though
  • alexistexas33
    alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 plateaus this year, I just tripled my fiber intake for a week each time and it worked for me
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    The way plateaus were explained to me is that when dieting, one will lose some muscle along with the fat, which in turn reduces the daily calories burned just by living, a lot of which is calories burned by muscle.
    The two choices are to eat less, or restore muscle by exercise and appropriate nourishment of the newly forming muscle (enough protein, etc.)
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Macros? How many calories are you eating? How much exercise are you getting?
  • qiaralim
    Options
    I've had 2 plateaus this year, I just tripled my fiber intake for a week each time and it worked for me

thank you. i will try. how bout ur protein n carb?

• qiaralim
    Options
    looney9708 wrote: »
    Macros? How many calories are you eating? How much exercise are you getting?
    1400 calories. macro 50:30:20 -carb:protein:fat. 1-2 times a week exercise
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    1. Opening your diary or sharing some more details about your diet and exercise might help to get your more specific advice, if you're comfortable doing so.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • qiaralim
    Options
    1. Opening your diary or sharing some more details about your diet and exercise might help to get your more specific advice, if you're comfortable doing so.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

thanks ! i will open my diary