Winter running

Options
So I went for a run tonight and it was 45 degrees, and I must say it was tough. ..wondering if it gets easier? I would assume the body will eventually get used to it the more I run in the cold weather.

But just curious if there are any experienced runners out there that have done lots of cold weather running with any advice

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    45 is still shorts weather :p

Best to dress in layers when it gets cold so you can adjust as you warm up. It is better to be overdressed than under.

Not sure about getting used to it but you do adjust. I'm serious about wearing shorts when it is 45. I wear 2 layers on top (short sleeve shirt and long sleeve on top). I normally warm up in a mile or 2 and end up sweating by the end.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Very cold in the winter here. I wear thermal tights under my leggings, thermal long sleeve shirt and a windbreaker. But most important are the ice cleats. I learned to run in the dead of winter and I found it harder to adjust to the heat. At least with layers I can strip.
  • davidf1t
    davidf1t Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Had my first outdoor run this morning. Still shorts weather temperature wise but the rain wasn't fun. Got soaked through to the liner of the shorts which caused all sorts of problems.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    is 7C cold? :smiley:

here in UK last week I run with 3C and last year with -2C, and I'm sure there are people in US who run with subzero temperatures! trick is good warm up and good running kit, plus an essential dose of "I just have to suck it up, it's cold, cannot do anything about it :smile: )
  • davidf1t
    davidf1t Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    10C and pouring down in the UK this morning. Only managed 3km
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    So I went for a run tonight and it was 45 degrees, and I must say it was tough. ..wondering if it gets easier? I would assume the body will eventually get used to it the more I run in the cold weather.

But just curious if there are any experienced runners out there that have done lots of cold weather running with any advice

I will just say that when it's really cold, it can feel hard to breathe at the beginning. Push through the initial discomfort--think of it as warming up your lungs, like you have to warm up your legs.

Experiment with different ways of adding clothing--there is no "one formula fits all" here. Some people toss on a hat and are good to go. I can't do a full head covering even below zero Fahrenheit, but gimme gimme gimme my headband=>ear cover. I *do* need winter socks starting around an embarrassing 50F or my feet will go numb and stay numb the entire run. Tights, capris, compression shorts, loose shorts, any of the previous with windblocking panels--what temperature an individual runner resorts to each of those depends on the runner.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    there are lot of options
    this is my first winter running. I've got all sorts of layers. They say dress for 20 degrees warmer but don't forget about the wind. (don't forget something reflective with all the shortened daylight hours)

I'm running with warmer leggings and a light jacket but still run with a light tshirt and regular socks. i like headbands over hats. I generally start with gloves but usually end up taking them off halfway thru
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

What part was tough? The cold air on the lungs? You will get used to that and won't even notice it after a while. After years of running in the winters, the worst part about cold weather running for me is having to get ready to go out in the cold and putting on all of the layers. After I am out there, I love it. Hang in there, it will get better.
  • smithie092015
    smithie092015 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Gloves! Dealing with cold hands is the worst part. Its not uncommon for me to run in short sleeves and gloves. I'm sure it looks stupid, but it works for me.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Gloves! Dealing with cold hands is the worst part. Its not uncommon for me to run in short sleeves and gloves. I'm sure it looks stupid, but it works for me.

Anything above 35 I wear shorts, compression top, sometimes a long sleeve technical, warm gloves and a hat or touque. Cold extremities are the worst. Unless there's crazy wind I can't remember legs being cold (cause they be working). I have gotten strange looks.

Even in below freezing, a light pair of track pants to keep the skin covered is enough, but tights are sometimes nice.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I've not run in the winter yet but my plan will be dress with one extra layer on, then start each run with a 1 mile loop. By then I should be warmed up enough to shed the extra layer and continue with my run.

I'll also be bringing my phone when I run, which I normally don't do now. I'd hate to slip on the ice and get so injured that I'd have to walk back, or not even be able to move. I might even bring that extra layer with me.

I have run in temps as low as 32F and for me, that's shorts, one long sleeve shirt, and a head band for my ears. I tried running it in two shirts, tights, hat and gloves and I was sweating like crazy after a couple of miles.

• twohourshower37
    twohourshower37 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

What part was tough? The cold air on the lungs? You will get used to that and won't even notice it after a while. After years of running in the winters, the worst part about cold weather running for me is having to get ready to go out in the cold and putting on all of the layers. After I am out there, I love it. Hang in there, it will get better.

The breathing was the worst. But everyone has mentioned great things! I feel kinda silly actually cuz its just common sense to wear layers lol but I like to hear other people's input
  • twohourshower37
    twohourshower37 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I realize now that this was kind of a silly question as its pretty much common sense, wear layers, gloves sound like a smart idea. Haha but I appreciate all the input!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Not a silly question at all. Sometimes the most obvious answers are the ones we miss. I asked a similar question in one of the running groups here (I was looking for specific brands to add to my wardrobe).

I will add that you should look for clothing designed for working out/running. Wearing cotton and some other materials in the winter can make things much worse. You want something that wicks the moisture away from your skin or you will be even colder.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I've not run in the winter yet but my plan will be dress with one extra layer on, then start each run with a 1 mile loop. By then I should be warmed up enough to shed the extra layer and continue with my run.

This is what I do. Works grand.

I actually prefer running in the winter as I overheat easily. Only thing I worry about is slipping on a patch of black ice that I haven't spotted in time.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »

This is what I do. Works grand.

I actually prefer running in the winter as I overheat easily. Only thing I worry about is slipping on a patch of black ice that I haven't spotted in time.

I remember when we had a melt and freeze last year. i was just walking the dog and i had to walk in the snow and even that was slippery due to the ice on top. but i saw a lot of people trying to walk on the sidewalk doing their best to stay upright and failing miserably. i think on those days I'll do power vinyasna yoga or something rather than run