How did you feel while doing p90X

Options
angp7711
angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
I know that people have gotten amazing results with P90X so I am not in doubt that it works. I'm just wondering how did you feel when you were doing it? I am thinking I want to start it but I am afraid of the muscle fatigue and and being too tired to keep up with my house work and kids. I know when I have pumped up my workouts a bit I can have the overall muscle fatigue and just tiredness for awhile and I don't know if I could last 3 months like that.

So how did you feel in the beginning? How long did it take before you stopped being sore all the time? For a baseline what was your fitness level before you started?

Thanks!
Ang

Replies

• mercedes25
    mercedes25 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started p90x today! I started with core synergistic, I think is what it was called? During the workout it was hard and i was thinking, I am totally going to be sore tomorrow, but now I feel normal! I did the workout around 2ish and it is now 10:30. I am still wondering of I did it wrong, haha!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 (just finished shoulders and arms) and right now I'm WIPED lol. But drink a good recovery drink, and get plenty of food in you and you'll be fine. I'm back to work (on my feet all day), and take care of my three children by myself in the evenings (13, 5, and 4yrs old).

Cris
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I did it for 2 months (then had to quite for health reasons not because of p90x) and I felt FANTASTIC! (I'm a teacher and mother and wife).
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I started p90x today! I started with core synergistic, I think is what it was called? During the workout it was hard and i was thinking, I am totally going to be sore tomorrow, but now I feel normal! I did the workout around 2ish and it is now 10:30. I am still wondering of I did it wrong, haha!

When I did Chest & Back Monday, I thought I was going to be sore...woke up the next morning and I was fine.

Until about noon lol...THEN I got sore. I was still lightly sore from Chest & Back this evening when I did Shoulders & Arms...but it went away quickly.

Cris
  • focus2bfit
    focus2bfit Posts: 201
    Options
    After the first week it went fine. Take the first week to learn the moves and dont overdo it and you will be fine!
  • enlarsh
    enlarsh Posts: 67
    Options
    I did P90X for two months back in the fall. I took the first week pretty easy-not doubling up workouts and just running in place if it got too hard. After that, I was able to keep up pretty well except for the DreyA roll and some of those weird yoga moves which I was never able to do. I would just substitute some other moves for those things. I would drink a protein shake after the workout and I was rarely sore.

I only lost 2 lbs on P90X (maybe some inches, but what I really need is pounds) so I didn't feel like the amount of time required was worth it to me. I have been doing Jillian's 30DS now, and I find that physically it is more difficult than P90X and it's crammed into 20 min. To me, it's a double bonus--more cardio workout and less time commitment. I've already lost 6lbs in two weeks which is more than I lost in 2 months of P90X. I have two young children, so that is another reason why P90X didn't work very well for me--I ended up starting my workouts after they went to bed and then I wouldn't be done with that and my shower until 11 pm. It was just not worth it to me.

As for my baseline when I started: I am very strong. Always have been, but I have very little endurance when it comes to cardio. So the weight parts were not difficult for me. I started with 8lb weights, but quickly moved to 10. P90X is not too heavy on the cardio, which may be why I did not lose many pounds.

I hope my experience is helpful to you. Like I said, I am really enjoying the 30DS. I purchased some of her other DVDs as well to mix it up when I get bored.
  • angp7711
    Options

I usually don't get sore until 36 hrs after a workout. It could be coming still, lol. Good luck with it...
  • angp7711
    Options
    I'm on day 3 (just finished shoulders and arms) and right now I'm WIPED lol. But drink a good recovery drink, and get plenty of food in you and you'll be fine. I'm back to work (on my feet all day), and take care of my three children by myself in the evenings (13, 5, and 4yrs old).

Cris
    What do you drink for recovery?
  • angp7711
    Options
    After the first week it went fine. Take the first week to learn the moves and dont overdo it and you will be fine!

I guess part of my problem is that I am not good with the not overdoing, lol...
  • angp7711
    Options
    I did the JM ripped in 30 and it was hard but I got through all 4 levels... I was pretty tired the first 2 weeks but I was doing cardio and running as well.
  • Jsnbabb1
    Jsnbabb1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love doing p90x, when I'm finished. It's really tough for maybe the first week. But I highly recommend doing the stretch on day 7. It's exactly what you need when you are sore. And as far as being tired...I have a 5 and 2 year old and I'm only tired when I don't get enough sleep. I started doing p90x in January and did it for a month and a half. Then vacation came! Now I just can't seem to get in all the workouts each week. I did lose some inches and pounds too. And as far as I'm concerned it's exercising and eating right for 90 days how could you not look any better?
  • drygravytrain
    drygravytrain Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If p90x isnt enough cardio for you, you can do cardio AFTER and it will help your muscles recover faster. It will get the blood flowing to your muscles that carries the nutrients it needs to repair itself. Also just keep working through the fatigue, doing your workout the next day will shorten the fatigue time. It may be tough to start, but will get better after your body starts to adapt.
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I finished week 9 day 1 today. The first week I was sore all over. I had to modify some things since I really haven't worked out like this in 10 years. My energy is better then before I was working out. I feel great. I've lost lbs and inches.

I'm still pushing play to finish off my first round of p90x. When I first started all push ups were on my knees. All pull ups / chin ups were chair assisted. I can now do 5 pull ups without a chair. Not much but a big improvement for me since I've always sucked at pull ups even before I gained 75lbs.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Cris
    What do you drink for recovery?

It depends...

My diet is sort of complicated right now. I'm trying to keep the carbs below 100g and closer to 50g when I can, and still get in between 1700 and 2500 calories a day (depending on the day). Then on top of that I just started work again this week, which screws up my workout and eating schedule badly lol. Lately I've been drinking a creatine recovery drink (fruit punch flavor...hides the nasty taste/texture of my fiber supplement powder lol). It doesn't have protein in it though, so I've been drinking it with food to get the protein in. As I said, I just started working again and haven't quite got a system down to get everything I want in there. When I was home during the day I'd drink a home made protein shake after (with a few extra carbs in the form of a mint oreo)...and the creatine supplement before...but I worked out earlier so it was all good.

Basically anything with protein and quick carbs to fuel your repairing muscles is going to get the job done.

Cris
  • southbayhealth
    Options
    I have been doing it for 9 months and I have two suggestions.

1. Do it in the morning
    2. Get enough calories and the correct type

#2 has been the hard part for me, sometimes I get run down and it is because I am not taking in enough calories. That is why I started using this site and mobile application so I could track the calories/carbs/protein and make sure I had enough to recover. Started drinking muscle milk as well.

Oh, one more suggestion: get enough sleep :)
  • angp7711
    Options
    I am glad to see that the major consensus is that I should feel pretty good. I had mostly only talked to it with a few people IRL and none of them had finished it. Life, injury, and fatigue had gotten in the way.

Getting enough sleep will be hard but baby girl is starting to get a little better with her sleep so maybe there is hope for some in-interupted sleep.

Thanks again!
  • groovymint
    groovymint Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was really sore during week 1, but even with the muscle soreness I felt like I had a lot more energy (even on the first phase which has a really high protein ratio for the diet)