Beating the late night snackies...Any tips??

Options
How do you beat the late night snackies. Thats when I get weak and all my day's work goes in the toilet. I destress from the day by eating at night. Bad habit!! What works for other MFP's?

Replies

• Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... find a different way to destress.... for example, I <3 bubble baths and video games. I destress by taking a bath or by just vegging out on a game for awhile instead of nomming bad foods.

Also, I try to eat a high protein/fiber diet so I stay full longer. Got rid of the quick easy stuff that has nearly no nutritional value.

Right now, my late night snack is some Dave's Killer bread light and nutella. I toast it, spread it, and munch away. I allot for it in my daily total. Really helps me!
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Go to bed :yawn:
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    If I'm actually hungry and not bored, I'll have a snack.

Eating late at night will NOT cause you to stop losing weight. Your body doesn't just turn itself off.
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I find a nice cup of diet swiss miss hot cocoa does the trick for me. (25 calories)
  • diana77
    diana77 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Jut a simple cup of coffe for me with creamer ofcourse 100 cals.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Never-ending bottle of water.
  • nurseaim
    nurseaim Posts: 146
    Options
    Depends is it sugary foods that you crave or salty at the end of the day?

When I crave sugary snacks before bed, I've been grabbing a sugar free jello (0 pts or 10 cal per snack pack). My friends that I've met from here once suggested that I try drinking some decaff tea, that also helped.

When I crave salty snacks, I try eating some 94% fat free Orville Reds popcorn (2pts for full bag, only 110 calories). Mini rice cakes are also yummy if you crave crunchy. Also them seem salty in taste...celery stalks (my fav)

Mostly, I eat any snack with a 10 oz of H20. Whenever I feel snackish, I drink H20 b/c 9 out of 10, I'm really thirsty and my mind makes me think I wanna eat.

Hope this helps, I'm exhausted, but addicted to msg boards.

Take care.
  • muzicgurl02
    Options
    chew sugar free gum
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Plan a late night snack into your day.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I try to eat raw veggies at night to curb my cravings. I find it's not the food I am craving, it's the act of eating so crunching on some raw carrots usually is fine. I actually just made steamed cauliflower at 10pm tonight. My husband thought I was crazy but it did the trick and now I am not hungry and ready for bed.
  • watermelonstarfish
    watermelonstarfish Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i close my diary. Also, I often excercise late at night so by the time i get home, I'm pooped and just want to sleep.
  • mstracey
    mstracey Posts: 2
    Options
    I DRINK WATER BEFORE BED, IT MAKES U FULL-NEXT THING U KNOW YOUR SLEEP! YOU MAY HAVE TO GET UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, LOL.. BUT IT WORKS.
  • annette79h
    annette79h Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    make sure you eat enough during the day. People tend to limit/starve themselves all day then over eat at night. Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Hunger pangs are often mistaken for thirst. (alot of times when you think you're hungry, you're body is actually wanting water!) Since I've been eating healthy & exercising for the last 8 wks, Im so worn out come night time Im too tired to eat a snack! LOL If you're use to eating a snack late at night, it can also just be a habit that you need to break. Kinda like when people have dessert after every dinner, it just becomes a habit & you think thats what you're spose to be doing. You have to change those habits! and if you DO need a snack or satisfy a sweet craving, just make sure you chose a healthy, low fat/cal snack. One thing I do is to look at the calories and figure out what I have to do to work it off, and is it worth it? Like a snickers bar, I'd have to hike one of my towns mountain trails to burn it off and when I think of how hard I have to work and sweat for that 40 minutes just to eat that candy bar in 5-10....ya just not worth it!! Then I'd feel bad about myself! If I make a healthy choice, I feel satisfied in knowing that I won the battle & stuck to my decision to make changes!! If you do give in and eat the snickers, well then you just gotta work it off and try to make a better decision next time! ;) Sorry to keep on...lol Good luck to ya
  • allybally6
    allybally6 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Gum and tea work best for me as well as my blog :smile:
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I like the Special K Cracker Chips - Sea Salt. You get 30 good size chips for 110 calories and sometimes I add Hummus or Laughing Cow cheese wedges. 30 of these chips looks like a lot of food and going through the motions to dip them into something or to be spreading cheese on them takes up some down time and is enough time for my brain to start responding (thinking I'm full and satisfied.)
  • oyvonnee
    oyvonnee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    These are the ones I like

Hot Herbal Tea (cinammon, chai, sleepytime vanilla) - 0 calories
    Fuze Slenderize (10 calories - whole bottle) - fruity and sweet
    Banana - 90 calories
    Strawberries - only 4 calories per medium one - sprinkle with Stevia or Splenda for a sweeter snack
    Grapes - 20 - 68 calories

I agree with the comments that you can eat at night and lose weight - it's what you eat.

Have fun planning your snacks! :-)
  • noonions
    noonions Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I take a sleeping pill, sometimes. But most of the time I just eat something relatively healthy and low-cal.

For example, Quaker Lightly Salted Rice Cake with either salsa on it or maybe one of those spreadable Laughing Cow cheese wedges. Seems to work for me.

If we have fresh fruit in the fridge I might have a couple of slices of pineapple or a few strawberries.

If it is chocolate I crave or something sweet, I will eat a fiber bar or a kellog's protein bar.
  • Ping_A1C2U
    Ping_A1C2U Posts: 91
    Options
    Plan a late night snack into your day.

I agree - and try to make sure you're eating enough through the day so that you don't have binge cravings. I try to make sure I snack on a little something every 2-3 hours through the day, and I find that it really helps me not be hungry between dinner and bedtime.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your metabolism and all that technical stuff, but if you're hungry at night...eat something. I've been the type of person that gets hungry at night basically all my life and it will actually prevent me from sleeping if I get too hungry. I eat small things, such as the 1/2 c cantaloupe I had tonight to curb my hunger and get to sleep. 96 lbs down tells me that it doesn't really make a difference if you snack a bit at night or not! Just don't go overboard :)