Birthday Binge

Options
Today was my sister's birthday, we went out for dinner at a steakhouse. I fasted all day to save up for the evening and I decided to enjoy myself. I eat clean everyday so I decided to consider this my first cheat meal today. I ate cheese fries, bread, salad with my own 0 calorie dressing I brought, steak and broccoli. We had cookie cake for dessert and I may have went over board with that. I kinda let myself get a lot of it because I haven't had sugar in such a long time and rather eat it today and no more after that. What should I do to recover from this binge? I could fast again and double up my workout. I don't feel hungry that much if I fast or what do you eat to recover? Protein? Need advice. I plan on getting back on track tomorrow

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Just eat like you normally would tomorrow.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I'm not even sure if I should feel guilty or not. Lol. I'm already at a healthy and low weight and I am happy. I don't exactly regret it but I just don't want to go up. Although I know how to eat clean and I exercise everyday, I hope I didn't cause that much damage because that was some cake. Although I kinda restricted sugar from my diet for a few months and it did make me feel sick. I hope to go back to normal after tomorrow.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'm not even sure if I should feel guilty or not. Lol. I'm already at a healthy and low weight and I am happy. I don't exactly regret it but I just don't want to go up. Although I know how to eat clean and I exercise everyday, I hope I didn't cause that much damage because that was some cake. Although I kinda restricted sugar from my diet for a few months and it did make me feel sick. I hope to go back to normal after tomorrow.

Why did you restrict sugar?

Are you in maintenance? If you are, you can just move on, eat a little lighter tomorrow if you want but if this doesn't happen all the time I wouldn't worry about it.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I'm now eating maintence now, this is kinda my occasional cheat day because I enjoy eating clean and healthy everyday but I feel a bit guilty for consuming so much cake since I rather have it today than days after. I restricted for awhile to lose weight but now I'm trying to maintain.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'm now eating maintence now, this is kinda my occasional cheat day because I enjoy eating clean and healthy everyday but I feel a bit guilty for consuming so much cake since I rather have it today than days after. I restricted for awhile to lose weight but now I'm trying to maintain.

Well you didn't need to restrict sugar to lose weight, just calories. Perhaps it would be beneficial to learn how to have a balanced diet in maintenance. I don't eat "clean" so I don't know what that means to you, but having sugar and things you really love to eat in your diet, makes those binges less extreme since you're not restricting all the time.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

What kind of damage do you think you did?
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I don't know, I guess I'm like some people who don't want the numbers to go up. I just felt like I ate a lot today and decide to fast tomorrow. I just don't know what I should eat to recover from a cheat meal/binge.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I don't know, I guess I'm like some people who don't want the numbers to go up. I just felt like I ate a lot today and decide to fast tomorrow. I just don't know what I should eat to recover from a cheat meal/binge.

Well did you eat 3,500 calories ABOVE maintenance? Have you been in maintenance for awhile now, or a deficit? You have the stats, data, tracking smarts, to figure out what kind of damage you did. You can fix it up a bit by having a day or two at a slight deficit, maybe some extra cardio. If I eat a lot, I still have a ball park figure of the amount of calories I consumed and understand how that will effect my weekly goal.

There aren't certain foods to eat to recover. Maybe drink a good amount of water if you had a high sodium meal.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I would recommend looking at your weekly averages, if you use the app this is calculated for you. You said you are maintaining, are you set to your maintenance cals as your goal? Are you usually over or under that goal? How long have you been maintaining? Did you log the food you consumed tonight? If so you should be able to figure out how many cals over you were and then eat at a small deficit the next few days to get back on track. I don't believe fasting is the answer, nor do I believe restricting added sugar is necessary for success and that may be why you feel like you overdid it when faced with a normal social situation.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I'm not even sure how many calories I ate this evening. I fasted all day until the evening. So basically a good first and last meal of the day and lots of cookie cake. I doubt it was over 2000 but to me it felt a lot.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure how many calories I ate this evening. I fasted all day until the evening. So basically a good first and last meal of the day and lots of cookie cake. I doubt it was over 2000 but to me it felt a lot.

Why not just forget and start back tomorrow. It's a new day :)
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    Yea. Although it was her birthday and I did enjoy having a cheat meal for once. :)
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    its ONE day, its not going to undo much of anything or ruin your future progress!
    think of it as a treat yourself day, afterall we are all entitled to them once in awhile, so stop feeling guilty about it..
    if you still feel the need to recover/to feel better about it, make yourself a healthy green smoothie and start anew tomorrow like usual...no need to fast!
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    Thank you :) I feel much better.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    So many alarm bells in this post.

You "Fasted" all day for your first "Cheat Meal" which you later described as a "Binge".

In reality, you did the human thing and went out for a birthday meal and had dessert. You're fine. Log it, move on and go a little easier on yourself.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    So many alarm bells in this post.

You "Fasted" all day for your first "Cheat Meal" which you later described as a "Binge".

In reality, you did the human thing and went out for a birthday meal and had dessert. You're fine. Log it, move on and go a little easier on yourself.

I was wondering if I was the only person who had more red flags waving than race day at Monza for this one...
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    A piece of cookie cake that was literally 6/7 pieces tho. So much sugar that I got sick.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    did you not think that "fasting" all day would lead to you being STARVING and overeat at dinner?? why not just eat sensibly earlier in the day and plan for and log the dinner??
  • preeJAY
    preeJAY Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This sounds like the beginnings of disordered thinking about food :( Please relax! You went out and enjoyed yourself for one night, for one meal. Yay!! :smile: Fear /anxiety /guilt should not even come into it.

Eat a little bit less the next day if you want to, or just go back to your normal calorie and exercise amount. A single high-calorie day will not instantly make you gain weight -- our bodies aren't THAT great at absorbing a sudden spike in calories. It's only if we continuously overeat will we gain, and even then, fairly slowly. If you keep a casual eye on the scale, you can easily catch it and reverse the trend.