Low body fat % and amenorrhea

Options
Now that I'm at my goal weight, I want to lower my body fat %. The thing is, I don't want to lose weight anymore but I still have an abdominal pouch and don't have my goal waist measurement . So to lose that pouch, I have to lower the body fat, right? (I don't know my exact BF%, probably between 23-25%, calculated online). However, I have heard that low BF % and being under weight may lead to amenorrhea, which I certainly don't want. :/ What shall I do? I weigh between 115-118 lbs and I'm 5'5.

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Just some info on my personal experience. I am in the same boat as you. My cycle was all out of whack last month (2 weeks late) and even now my hormones are all over the place. The way I have been dropping my body fat without losing weight is by running and building more muscle (yup, even helps your abs). Talked to my PCP and GYN and they both said that they feel eventually my body will realize that I'm not doing something bad to it and will regulate itself within 3 to 6 months. But the best thing YOU can do is maybe talk to your doctor about it to make sure that you can keep it healthy.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I actually agree with the post above about checking in with your doc. My blood work was out of whack as well as my hormones and that's why I started the supplements.

What type of supplements are you speaking of or were suggested?
  • blueviolet20
    blueviolet20 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I think you should be alright as long as you keep your current weight and just work on replacing fat with muscle.
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    Hi yusrlee!
    Have you ever had a 7 point body fat measurement done with a fat caliper? Many gyms and wellness centers offer it Those are more accurate than the online measurements. If that's not available body tape measurements work better than weight and height BMI calculations, too and can be done with a tape measure at home (although again, not as accurate as the 7 pt test, since it doesn't take into account if you have a lot more muscle on your build. The most accurate of all is the water tank measurements, but those are hard to find for most and may cost money to do).

You can talk with your doctor or a nutritionist for ways to prevent amenorrhea. (Blood tests as mentioned above can help show if you have any hormonal imbalances, too) If you slowly reduce your body fat with gradual changes in your workout regime, though (so for example, more strength training to gain muscle and tone while losing fat= your weight doesn't change as much, just your body composition; don't jump into too much cardio, do cardio in moderation, especially since you're at your goal weight) and keep a balanced diet (with good sources or protein, healthy fats and complex carbs while cutting out/down on processed foods and sugar), you should be able to reduce your body fat percentage in a healthy way. :)

(Also keep in mind, regarding the abdominal region: 1) How much sodium and processed foods are you consuming? High sodium= high bloating, 2) Are you doing core strengthening exercises? Meaning not just crunches, but leg lifts, planks and captain's chair knee raises, 3) How is your posture? Standing and sitting straight, or slouching? Core work is part of this equation, too, and activities like yoga and pilates can help as well, 4) What is your stress level usually, do you drink enough water and do you get enough sleep? Working to decrease unnecessary stress in your life, drinking at least 8 glasses of water/day and getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep can work wonders on your body, and 5) Do you have any food intolerances? For example, I realized I am (unfortunately!) lactose intolerant and have a slight gluten intolerance. When I cut back on these foods, incorporate other grains that aren't wheat and take lactaid with my occasional dairy product, what a difference it makes!)

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing! :)
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Typically you shouldn't have to worry about amenorrhea from low body fat until you get in the 10-12% range.
  • princesschikee
    Options
    Just like the pp, your body fat % has to get pretty low and a good %age for a woman is between 14-17 for a lean look. This is when you start to see your abs. In order to lower your bf, you need to increase muscle mass. If you life weights, you are going to have to go heavier and you will have to eat cleaner too.
  • chewy8874042
    chewy8874042 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I wanted to see if anyone had any enlightening knowledge on my problem. I have not had a period since February. I am 5"7 and weigh 156....obviously, I am not underweight or lacking body fat. I have taken up running in the past 6 months, I have lost right at 50 lbs in the past 9-10 months, and between working 2 jobs and my husband being overseas, I am a little stressed. All of these factors have been valid according to my OBGYN. I am currently finishing up 10 days worth of hormones that are supposed to make me start, so I don't know what to expect. My blood work/ hormones, etc were all normal. I was just curious if anyone had any advice. Thanks!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Just like the pp, your body fat % has to get pretty low and a good %age for a woman is between 14-17 for a lean look. This is when you start to see your abs. In order to lower your bf, you need to increase muscle mass. If you life weights, you are going to have to go heavier and you will have to eat cleaner too.

NO, that is not a good percentage for a woman. that is UNHEALTHY. below 18% you better be an elite athlete . . . and consuming probably over 2500 calories per day.

HEALTHY body fat for a female is 18-25%.

I am 43 years old with 6 pack abs. I am an athlete with body fat 19% as calculated electronically with a lean muscle mass device. you see your abs when you define your abs. not when you starve yourself. what you see when you're 14-17% body fat is BONES. This is not an ana site.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Here is the formula on how many calories to EAT in order to build muscle (which in turn burns fat). This is a lot of calories. This is the way to achieve a healthy BMI of 14-17%. Note that the way to build muscle is to work out and eat, not starve yourself.

FORMULA FOR MEN:

A very active male seeking weight (muscle) gain = ideal body weight x 17

A moderately active male seeking weight (muscle) gain = ideal body weight x 16

Inactive male beginning a weight (muscle) gain exercise program = ideal bodyweight x 15

FORMULA FOR WOMEN

A very active female seeking weight (muscle) gain = ideal body weight x 15

A moderately active female seeking weight (muscle) gain = ideal body weight x 13

Inactive female beginning a weight (muscle) gain exercise program = ideal bodyweight x 12
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    2. DETERMINING RATIO OF PROTEIN, CARBOHYDRATE AND FATS

Now that we know how to determine calories, let?s take a look at how to calculate ratios of protein, carbohydrate and fats. If you?re looking to put on muscle, a ratio of 55 percent carbohydrate, 30 percent protein and 15 percent fat is an excellent balance.

The 55 percent carbohydrate (keep refined carbohydrates to a minimum) will provide ample energy for intense workouts, and the 30 percent protein will provide the necessary building blocks for muscle. Also, the 15 percent fat will help with strength levels. Most people interested in building muscle will actually lose strength if dietary fat is reduced too low.

Below is an example using our imaginary male, who will be consuming 2,640 calories.

Fifty-five percent of 2,640 calories = 1,452 calories from carbohydrate

Thirty percent of 2,640 calories = 792 calories from protein, 15 percent of 2,640 calories = 396 calories

There are metabolic differences between various individuals, so sometimes these ratios need to be slightly skewed. However, if you?ve already joined eFitness, you are already aware that we can help in the monitoring of your program.

Keep in mind that this is about gaining muscle, not having fat loss as your primary goal. Fat loss ratios and calorie calculations are different than the above.

source: http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=23&t_ix=10
  • ReptileRevolution
    ReptileRevolution Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @Chewy
    I do not have medical insurance ( yet) so i have not been been offically diagnosed but,
    i also started running and i lost quite a bit of weight.
    my last period was in february .
    i went from being very inactive to running 5 x a week and ive completey changed my diet. Ive lost 60 pounds.
    right now, i just take a multi vitamin and i have been eating a little more calories than i used to. ive only got 5 pounds to go az long as you are eating as well.as you can and arent over exercising , i wouldnt worry. :)