I have to lose this weight

Options
ive always struggle with my weight. I am trying to win this battle aganist depression. Today is my second day and I am trying my hardest to stay positive. I will be joining a gym. Should I get a personal trainer. Idk. Ughh. I just want to melt all this weight off. 70 pounds to shred and don't know how to even began.

Replies

• alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Depression is the worst. It makes everything in life harder. For me, actually writing a schedule that I had to stick to helped. Like: 8-9 practice my violin, 9-9:30 work out, 9:30-10 eat breakfast... Really write in the exact times. Forcing myself not to deviate was definitely tricky, but the scheduling did help me.

Keep in mind, that progress is progress. Even if it's small. If that means one day you got out of bed and showered, that might be a big deal! Another day you stuck to your meal plan all day. Great! Celebrate your small successes rather than getting bogged down in feeling badly about "failures." Chances are, they weren't failures at all!
  • shaniquenwhite
    shaniquenwhite Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'm going to try the schedule idea. That should help. I'm really going to try.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Start small. I suggest start tracking what you eat. You will start to understand what reasonable portion size should be. Then move to meeting your calorie goal. Unless you really want to, put the gym off for now. Exercise is great, has many benefits outside of weight loss, can help with weight loss but is not required.
  • starssaayhello
    starssaayhello Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have to lose a large amount of weight too, and I know it can be daunting! Especially with depression. And It feels like the end game is so far off. One of the best things you can do for yourself is to set little goals to accomplish so you can feel proud of yourself sooner. One of my little goals is to log everything I eat everyday for a week, and it will probably be a reoccurring goal. Another one is to work out three 30m sessions a week, whether it's walking or a workout tape. Any mini goal you think will help you to feel healthy, drinking more water, stretching everyday, eating more veggies. I feel the more goals I let myself accomplish, the more motivated I feel to do more. And the second biggest thing is to not let yourself feel down about any mishaps you may have. You are not your failures, and there are plenty of people here to talk to about all this and are willing to help!
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Start by making realistic goals. You didn't put the weight on over night, so it would go over night. So go on the basis of losing 0.5lbs a week, 35 weeks to lose the 70lbs
    Once you have the logging accurately down and are consistent in doing it and know you can hit the goals for 0.5lbs a week, you can think about increasing it to 1lb a week if you feel the need.

Just take it slowly and one step at a time, don't think your going to go from eating whatever you like and not exercising to being able to eating only 1200 calories a day and lots of exercise. You won't, you will just be miserable.

Don't cut out all the things you enjoy, just eat less of them. Good luck!
  • shaniquenwhite
    Options
    That's true. All so helpful. I will set little goals. I have to start off slow. I do want to try the gym and maybe ask a personal trainer what I need to do to target certain areas. Hopefully it works out. Thank you guys so much.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    maybe ask a personal trainer what I need to do to target certain areas.

You can't spot reduce. If you want to exercise, there are two components. Cardio and resistance training/weight lifting. It's most beneficial from a body composition prospective to do both, but many only do one and again you don't have to do any. It's best to find something you enjoy and will want to do beyond your desire lose weight.

If do cardio, and do enough, you can eat a lot more. That makes your diet less restrictive. You will not lose faster in a healthy manner by using cardio but you can do so with more chocolate.

As you are on a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, but that weight will be a combination of fat and muscle. Ideally, you don't want to lose much if any muscle. Resistance training helps reduce the amount of muscle lost.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    maybe ask a personal trainer what I need to do to target certain areas.

You can't spot reduce. If you want to exercise, there are two components. Cardio and resistance training/weight lifting. It's most beneficial from a body composition prospective to do both, but many only do one and again you don't have to do any. It's best to find something you enjoy and will want to do beyond your desire lose weight.

If do cardio, and do enough, you can eat a lot more. That makes your diet less restrictive. You will not lose faster in a healthy manner by using cardio but you can do so with more chocolate.

As you are on a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, but that weight will be a combination of fat and muscle. Ideally, you don't want to lose much if any muscle. Resistance training helps reduce the amount of muscle lost.

This^

There is also one more component to consider: flexibility & balance (ie: yoga).

The reason I mention it is this; don't go all out crazy when you start exercise. If you are way out of shape, injuries can happen. This leaves you frustrated because you can't do the things you want to do. Yoga is great for helping to prevent injuries. It's not a big calorie burner, but it does help reduce stress. That's good for weight loss too.
  • shaniquenwhite
    Options
    I danced for 14 yrs off an on. I'm pretty good at avoid injures. Yes I will start doing yoga. I will start with YouTube videos at home.
  • JaiDessaT
    JaiDessaT Posts: 74 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Try to look at the weight you need to lose in 10 lb increments. Don't set any food as off-limits but eat a portion of that food, and really enjoy it.

In the beginning, keeping my calories at maintenance and walking/recumbent biking the 500 calories away each day was easier than cutting my calories drastically. Others prefer lowering calories and not exercising at first. I really needed the endorphins exercise releases.

Drink lots of water and having soup with supper is super helpful to fill the belly, so you're not tempted to have more. Also, aiming for 20 - 30 g protein at each meal will help you feel satisfied.

Try to read or watch something funny each day, laughter really helps with depression. Also, thinking of 3 things you're so grateful to have in your life sets you up with a positive outlook. If you can't seem to get ahead of this depression, do see a doctor for help.

Be kind to yourself, everyone has days where we mess up. Forgive yourself and move on. You need to be your best cheerleader on this journey