How do you guys log just a taste?

Options

Replies

• prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge snacker (any more) and I probably take tastes about 3-4 times a week. It's my way of practicing moderation.

This board has helped me get rid of my "bad" foods category (that was a challenge for me) but I realize some things should just be eaten in moderation. My answer so far has been small tastes and then if I like it I look for a day I can fit it into my calories
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I don't take bites/samples/tastes as a general rule, but if I make an exception, it's always logged. I can think of two recent examples. I had a sample of hot apple cider at the store. It was a very small paper cup, so I logged it as 1 oz of apple cider. I ate one of my husband's French fries the other night, so I quick added 25 calories. Right now, I have room for error, but that's not the point. Logging, for me, is going to have to be a lifelong, disciplined habit, and if it's got calories, it's getting logged.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    mhaskins08 wrote: »
    For those who don't log tastes... Is your weight loss consistent?

I have maintained the weight I have lost, but i was never the one to log spreads of butter, jam, stock cubes etc. Not right yes i know but i can live with what that brings.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't usually take 'tastes' of foods, even when I'm cooking. I'm not sure why, either. On the few occasions I have taken a taste (usually at my husband's suggestion), I don't bother logging it. I'm not so strict with my logging that the 25ish calories I just tasted is going to be that big a deal for me anymore. If you're taking a taste of everything you cook, then that does add up, but just a taste or two during the day isn't going to be a calorie sink for you. Unless your tastes end up being several bites.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I log bites or tastes as quick add calories -- usually 25 calories, but sometimes as much as 50. I want to have visibility to them in case my weight fluctuates more than I would expect.

Me too 25-50 quick add depending what it is.
    Taste test a tablespoon of a recipe I made (healthy fare) 25 calories. Taste a sample at BJs warehouse? 50 calories.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I never bother logging tastes. I usually burn it off walking somewhere or my exercise calories
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I log it. Might just be 30 quick calories or something, but I log it.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with "just a taste" - like licking the spoon after scooping out yogurt or whatever. Or even a tiny bite of some chicken or something.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    If it's just licking my finger or a dip from a spoon, I don't bother but if it's an actual bite of something or a sample at a store, I'll log it at 1oz (or about 28g--i don't have a scale that weighs in grams).
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It depends on what it was, but if I have a lot of "tastes" throughout the day, I'd quick add 100 calories or something.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    The same way I log a meal at a restaurant, at a flat rate.
    Taste = 50
    Meal =1000
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Good stuff here!

You guys help keep me on track. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Depends what it is too. Just a taste of nut butter or ice cream can be 100 calories easily.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I logged a taste I took of Luna and Larry ice cream. I used a teaspoon. So I logged it as 5 ml. If it is a calorie dense item, I log it. If it salad I don't log it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    mhaskins08 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    A bite of chicken...find the entry, log 25g

Got it. I've noticed you on these boards and I like the advice you give.

Thanks!

Gosh

Thank you :)
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Tastes like a walk around Costco for the all the sample tastes I log. One bite of something I probably am not going to log.

LOL! Yes. Costco tastes I definitely log. That can almost be a meal depending on the day. All other "tastes" it depends on the item. If it grows or had a face at one time, I don't bother. Any dairy, higher fat or higher carb items, I quick add.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You can guess and quick-add calories. I skip tastes. It's one of the things that makes weighing/logging a pain in the butt.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Costco shopping trips are the worst for me! I usually go around to every sample stand at least twice, sometimes more. There's no way to really tell, just take a rough estimate and log it. If your keeping to your calorie goal and sticking with your plan then a taste here and there shouldn't throw you off too much. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. If you stress out too much over the small stuff, like bites of food here abs there, it will demotivate you over time. If your weight loss stalls then be sure to fit in an extra walk or jog that week.

Now Costco is a different story, the samples are EVIL and will call to you as you walk by. I will only shop there when I know I have an extra hour to devote to a Zumba class or walk.
  • dandelioncoach
    dandelioncoach Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For me it depends. I do feel compelled to log it all, but I'm also working to establish a habit that will last my whole life, so it needs to feel manageable and sustainable, so I try to be mindful and reasonable. For example, if I go to the grocery store and try 4 cheese cubes and a sampling of nut butters, I'm definitely logging, I know how calorie dense those items are, and I'll probably go home and log what seems about right, a TB of peanut butter and an ounce of cheese, for example. (I also find I now reach for the smallest cubes of cheese in the tray when I used to reach for the largest). But If I sample a couple of grapes or even a bite of white meat chicken, I'm probably not going to log that. And as mentioned earlier, I also don't correct it when I leave a bite or two on my plate so it works out.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Quick add 5 cal, 0.25 oz chicken, or whatever.