"Skinny" Lasagna

Options
hellokatee
hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
Note: I used a recipe I found here on MFP as a rough guide for this lasagna. I changed a few things and also wanted to spread the love!

Ingredients:
9 uncooked lasagna noodles (I used the Top Foods brand)
1 lb lean ground turkey (I used Trader Joe's Butcher Shop 93/7)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 18 oz jar of marinara sauce (I used Organic Traditional from Trader Joe's)
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves (I used fresh, it was great!)
1 egg
1 container (15 oz) reduced-fat ricotta cheese (I used the Top Foods brand)
2 cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (8 oz) (I used the Top Foods brand)
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (I used the Safeway brand)

Directions:
1. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray and pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. (I used a disposable tin pan and I'm going to be honest, I didn't spray it. Worked for me!) Cook and drain noodles as directed on package. Place in cold water.

2. In large skillet, cook turkey and garlic over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until turkey is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in pasta sauce, ground red pepper and 1 teaspoon of basil. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

3. In medium bowl, beat egg slightly. Stir in ricotta cheese and remaining 1/2 teaspoon basil until blended. Drain noodles. Spread about 1/2 cup sauce mixture over bottom of baking dish. Top with 3 noodles, 1 1/2 cups of the sauce mixture, half of the ricotta mixture and 3/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining noodles, sauce and mozzarella cheese; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Spray 15-inch piece of foil with cooking spray. Cover lasagna with foil.

4. Bake 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until bubbly (I broiled mine for about 5 minutes). Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Nutrition:
Total: 2800 calories, 252 carbs, 110g fat, 5319mg sodium, 206g protein, 18g fiber
Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): 233 calories, 21 carbs, 9g fat, 443mg sodium, 17g protein, 2g fiber

Picture:

2011-06-07_194025.jpg

I really enjoyed this lasagna! The sodium isn't the hottest, but if you can find a way to cut that (maybe low sodium marinara?) then more power to you! I do have to say that I thought my lasagna needed more sauce. Next time I make this I will definitely be using more than 18 ounces! Make sure you are careful with how you distribute the ingredients in the pan... I ran out of sauce before I got to the top layer! Also, I had garlic bread with mine. You can imagine how many calories were in that! Overall, this is not an everyday sort of recipe, especially not for those of us trying to lose weight. But I stayed under my calories and satisfied my pasta craving for a while! Enjoy!

Replies

• someday_soon
    Options
    bump. :)
  • Sunjenk
    Sunjenk Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    you can skinny up lasagna considerably in the summer by using fresh, raw ingredients and baking them all together.

sometimes i like to use thin-sliced (lengthwise) zucchini or yellow crookneck squash in place of noodles
    i layer looseleaf kale or spinach (or both) with sliced fresh tomatoes, garlic, onions, basil and oregano with fresh home-made ricotta or cottage cheese mixed with egg & herbs and topped with mozzarella.

endless skinnifying.
  • Aticus
    Aticus Posts: 3
    Options
    This looks and sounds great! Thanks! My wife and I just looked at this recipe and it will be on our menu in the near future.
  • tirelan
    tirelan Posts: 1
    Options
    It looks and sounds yummy! I am just learning the weight loss thing and counting calories so any recipes that I can find is wonderful! Thanks for sharing!!!
  • nanc94
    nanc94 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump...i just recently tried using ground turkey for lumpia (filipino egg rolls) i was surprise that there really is no taste difference but is lighter

i will have to try to make this

thanks for sharing
  • sonjavenae
    sonjavenae Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sound's yummy!!!!