Stop Smoking and Diet

Options
Hi All, the time has come for my life style and bad habits to change. Being a father I really need to improve my health. I am wanting to lose weight and give up smoking!!! I want to know if anyone else has tried doing both at the same time or I am just setting myself up to fail as I am setting my self to extreme addictions to give up, Junk food and the Cigarettes. Any tips or personal experiences would be great! Thanks

Replies

• archiv88
    archiv88 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good move on getting healthier for your kids! I'm an ex-smoker and the one thing I found really helps with cravings, whether it be cigarettes or food, is distraction. So find a few things that would distract you, like a game on your phone, or a rubix cube (what I used), sudoku or crosswords, or even chewing gum. I used an smoking cessation app that calculated how many cigarettes I hadn't smoked, how much money I'd saved and how many days I get back on my life. That was a great help too. Good luck! :)
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    It depends on how easy/difficult you find your quit. I was able to give up cigs quite easily but if you find it tough going then doing both at the same time may be rough going. Really I found focusing on food and calories and so on to be a good distraction from thoughts of missing the cigs so doing both at the same time has worked for me. Everyone has a different experience though.
  • smat52
    smat52 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was always told to just get started on one habit and then add another. However, I just joined a weight program that is pretty expensive and the $150.00 a month I'll save will go toward that cost. So I am starting today and giving up my smoking (I've only been on diet for 1 week). Good Luck!
  • smat52
    smat52 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I also use a vapor e-cig - it really helps
  • absoluttalent
    absoluttalent Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When my son was born, I quit cold turkey that day. 8 months later I tried a cigarette when at a bar, almost threw up after one drag. Havnt touched another since then.
    But stress from work and home pushed me to the limits a few times. Started missing the nicotine and the habit of the draw. So I started with vaping. Not as good as not doing anything, but 100x better than smoking, especially if you make your own juice and control what's in it
  • aidenhardy516
    aidenhardy516 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to comment. Some very good tips their from you all. I am just worried that giving up smoking I will put weigh on. Is that true or just a myth? Tried the e-cigs and they didn't work for me. I think the question is for me which one to conquer first Junk food or Cigarettes as I don't think I would be able to do both at the same time!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking ten years ago and started going to the gym (I actually signed up for a bootcamp). With motivation and support I was able to quit smoking and continue to lose weight. It took a while to get to where I am now but it can be done. Quitting smoking doesn't automatically mean weight gain. if you can substitute the "hand to mouth" motion with fruits, veggies or anything else low-cal but nutrient rich, you'll be fine. As always, calories in v. calories out is how you lose. Best of luck! it feels amazing to be a happy, healthy, non-smoker!
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hi All, the time has come for my life style and bad habits to change. Being a father I really need to improve my health. I am wanting to lose weight and give up smoking!!! I want to know if anyone else has tried doing both at the same time or I am just setting myself up to fail as I am setting my self to extreme addictions to give up, Junk food and the Cigarettes. Any tips or personal experiences would be great! Thanks

I smoked for over half of my life, with MANY failed quitting attempts. I tried everything from cold-turkey, patches, chantex, gum, Welburtin, etc...all to no avail. I was finally able to kick the habit entirely with the use of Electronic Cigerattes. You can start yourself off at 18mg (or I did anyway, I think you can actually go higher) and then go down two mg every few weeks until your no longer addicted to the nicotine. I've been smoke free for almost three years now, kicking in the butt a nasty 14 year habit! All the hoopla about potential risks of e-cig usage is pure BS. I'll take few chemicals over thousands of cancer causing chemicals any day.

http://www.ecigalternative.com/smoking-vs-vaping.htm

I suggest kicking your cigarette habit first as it's the most important thing you can do for your health and your life. Once that terrible habit is behind you then you'll be able to focus all your attention on weight loss.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and started losing weight all on the same day.
    I simply replaced smoking with walking. Every time I really wanted a smoke, either walked outside or on my treadmill.
    It was difficult but it really does work to replace one habit with another!
    Now-12 years later, I don't smoke and I've been a healthy BMI for years.
    The first 3 days is very difficult but just take deep deep breaths when you want a cig.
    Drink lots of water to flush the nicotine out.
    Walk
    Eat at a reasonable deficit-not a huge one!
    Walk, cry, talk about it!
    Suck on cinnamon sticks.
    You can do-it's difficult but very doable!
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Most people do gain when they quit smoking. My husband was up about 15 lbs and his doctor told him he could gain another 30 and still be better off health-wise than if he was smoking. He and I both quit using Chantix nearly seven years ago. Neither of us had weird dreams, suicidal thoughts, or any of the other side effects.
  • aidenhardy516
    Options
    nichalsont wrote: »
    Most people do gain when they quit smoking. My husband was up about 15 lbs and his doctor told him he could gain another 30 and still be better off health-wise than if he was smoking. He and I both quit using Chantix nearly seven years ago. Neither of us had weird dreams, suicidal thoughts, or any of the other side effects.

What is Chantix?

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    nichalsont wrote: »

What is Chantix?

Its a prescription from a doctor to help with not smoking
  • aidenhardy516
    Options
    Might be worth a try as no other methods have worked for me. Thanks :)
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Might be worth a try as no other methods have worked for me. Thanks :)

It might also help to begin cutting back the number of cigarettes you smoke. Instead of two on the way to work or on a break, just smoke one. I had cut back quite a bit before starting the meds.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    First off, good for you on making the decision to be healthier for your kid(s)!

As far as which is more important, I think quitting the cigs should be your main focus. I quit over 10 years ago (wow, I hardly believe it's been that long!) and I've never looked back. Cold turkey worked for my husband and I, but everyone is different, so just do what works for you.

On the junk food issue, I don't think you ever have to give it up entirely. Just learn to eat those kind of things in moderation and exercise portion control. You will lose weight as long as you have a calorie deficit. Just put your stats in MFP and be honest/accurate about logging, even if it's not pretty. After you have logged for a while, go back and see where you can cut things that aren't as important to you. For me, it was opting for fish/chicken as opposed to beef and taking smaller portions of rice/pasta/bread. But I still have a least one treat everyday because it makes me happy!
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking while dieting. Nicotine patches really helped me. I started by wearing two 21mg patches (was smoking two packs a day, the patches completely removed the cravings) and then reduced down to one patch, and then did the step system. At the end I was wearing the same patch for two days. There were times when I was stressed that I would over eat a little (nothing compared to what I used to do) and I was fine with it as it was one day, and still healthier than smoking. I also found that lobelia inflata helped ease withdrawal. I found it easier to do both at the same time as opposed to one at a time, which for me would have prolonged the stress from making major lifestyle changes. I did have a vape on hand in case I was desperate, but only used it once after a week of no cigarettes. It made me cough, gave me a headache, and I almost barfed lol. I didn't gain weight when I quit, probably because I was dieting and was paying attention to calories consumed, and made a point of not going over. I also started exercising and going for frequent walks to occupy my time. I think keeping busy is key. I also avoided places that I knew had a high number of smokers so I wouldn't be tempted. Good luck to you!
  • aidenhardy516
    Options
    Thank you all for your success stories and well done. They are giving me the motivation to create my own success story.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to comment. Some very good tips their from you all. I am just worried that giving up smoking I will put weigh on. Is that true or just a myth? Tried the e-cigs and they didn't work for me. I think the question is for me which one to conquer first Junk food or Cigarettes as I don't think I would be able to do both at the same time!

You might put more weight on. It depends on whether you start to snack more to replace having a cigarette.

If you are going to choose which one to give up, give up the cigs first. The feeling of having quit for one month, of feeling better about yourself, of feeling healthier, of looking better, all this will then help your motivation when you start to tackle the way you eat. And having the extra money in your pocket is a great bonus ;)

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I quit a 15 months ago after 30 years, well into my weight loss. Cold turkey (no patches, gum or whatever those vapormagigs are called), didn't gain a pound. You've got this.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking before I was dieting. I cannot imagine doing both! It will be difficult!

Quitting smoking is so hard. It was so difficult for the first four or five days. After a month or so, it was easier. You kind of just have to tough it out. There is no secret. It's hard. The urge to smoke is strong. You have to be stronger.

It really depends on how much you want to quit. If you really want to succeed, you will. If you don't, you won't.

I used the patch. I don't know if it helped physically, but at least I knew, mentally, that my body didn't need the drug. It was just a desire to smoke. I could beat that.

Good luck!!