High carb, low fat vegan

Options
Is anyone following the hclfv lifestyle?

Replies

• loxety
    loxety Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'd include more oils and nuts then skip the grains and beans
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Long ago. It's a bad diet. Do the opposite
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    loxety wrote: »

Worst advice ever! Oils are empty fat calories devoid of any vitamins and minerals. Nuts are good but calorie dense and not as filling as other plant foods for an equivalent amount of calories. Whole grains are also healthy and there's no reason to skip them.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=2
    Beans are very very nutritious, and a significant source of protein, fiber, iron, folate, magnesium, manganese, copper, vit B1, B2, etc. Beans and lentils are vital for those on plant-based diets.

So to suggest that one should eat more oils and less grains and beans is some serious BS. But then again there's plenty of BS advice on mfp so you're in good company.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Why not just create balance and receive the nutritional benefits from all these sources? The body needs those fats to function at an optimal level. Oils aren't empty fat calories btw as fat itself is essential. But I agree to get those fibrous carbs, but you shouldn't restrict anything. If you're trying to lose weight, don't restrict foods, but restrict calories.
  • LaineyVAhimsa
    LaineyVAhimsa Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Im vegan anyway so wont eat fish. Oils arent the best source of fat, better are nuts, seeds, avocado and olives. Im aiming for 80 10 10, just wondered if anyone else was doing it? I know fats are essential but not as much as most people think. :)
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Have you looked up durian rider and freelee on youtube? They do a high carb vegan diet, and appear to be in great shape.
  • LaineyVAhimsa
    Options
    Yep i follow freelee
  • mpiano
    mpiano Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am vegan for almost two years but I have never been HCLF vegan. I think that carbs are the best for us but I cannot resist nut butters, grilled potatoes, raw cakes etc. :D But now I want to loose some weight so I am trying to cut down on fat and eat primarily fruits and veggies. Wish me luck! :)
  • LaineyVAhimsa
    Options
    mpiano wrote: »
    I am vegan for almost two years but I have never been HCLF vegan. I think that carbs are the best for us but I cannot resist nut butters, grilled potatoes, raw cakes etc. :D But now I want to loose some weight so I am trying to cut down on fat and eat primarily fruits and veggies. Wish me luck! :)

I love nut butters too, but i think that and bread is really hindering my weightloss. Good luck :)
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    WastedGetsSmaller Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yep I'm a high carb low fat vegan :)
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Im vegan anyway so wont eat fish. Oils arent the best source of fat, better are nuts, seeds, avocado and olives. Im aiming for 80 10 10, just wondered if anyone else was doing it? I know fats are essential but not as much as most people think. :)

I aim for 801010 but I'm often closer to 701515, haha. Are you transitioning from vegan to high carb vegan, or have you been hclf for a while? :smile:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    Have you looked up durian rider and freelee on youtube? They do a high carb vegan diet, and appear to be in great shape.

I think this has much more to do with their high level of physical activity.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'm a long time vegan. My diet is high protein to preserve lean mass and fuel my recovery, medium-ish fat, because it's good for you, necessary for joint and brain health among other things, the rest of my diet is carbs to provide fuel for my workouts. My Macro split ends up being 35%p, 30%f,30%c with the extra 5 percent floating. I don't really follow percents as much as I follow number of grams.

I'm eating 2800cal a day and recomping well, but slowly (which was the plan) with a wide variety of plant foods.

My point is, everyone is different, and while it's great to get a wide variety of foods for a varied micro-nutrient profile, if it fits your calorie goals and it makes you happy and healthier without adding too much stress, then go for it. Just be educated, safe, and conscious of your choices and their long term effects on your health.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    loxety wrote: »

@loxety when I followed what you just stated a year ago was key to greatly cutting my pain in just 30 days, after six month my 40 years of IBS was cured and has not returned. After 30 days my cravings and mental fog stopped and have not return.

At my age Alzheimer's is a real concern so learning skipping the grains and bean and eating more fats reduces the risk is cancer and Alzheimer's gives me more hope going forward.

Different people prefer different diets. I just wanted you to know what you posted above was a game changer in my life and the life of my family.
  • LaineyVAhimsa
    Options

I aim for 801010 but I'm often closer to 701515, haha. Are you transitioning from vegan to high carb vegan, or have you been hclf for a while? :smile:

Im still transitioning to 80 10 10, we've in the middle of moving house atm, so once we're settled then I will start properly.
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat high carb, low fat. It's easy if you're vegan and eat whole foods.

I use oil to cook but top up with water, for instance. Recently I have swapped noodles for spiralized zucchini which is also carbs, just fewer of them with more nutrients.

I try and focus on getting the most nutrients per calorie.

Chia Seed Pudding is my current obsession. It's of healthy protein and omega 3 fatty acids.

Although I don't follow a particular diet plan, this works for me and allows me to feel satisfied within my calorie goal.
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    Options

Im still transitioning to 80 10 10, we've in the middle of moving house atm, so once we're settled then I will start properly.

Good luck :)
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I aim for 80 10 10 but am usually over on my fats because I like hummus and it contains olive oil. I am trying though! Regardless I have been consistently losing weight, so I guess I must be doing something right
  • LaineyVAhimsa
    Options
    I need to kick my peanut butter obsession lol. Thanks everyone :)