Late night HUNGER!

Hey guys! Does anyone have this problem?
I've started a healthy eating/cardio/lifting program and I now find myself STARVING in the middle of the night...like around 12 to 3:00 a.m. I'm eating around 1500 calories per day and usually save around 600 for dinner. I'm full or at least satiated after dinner at around 7 and go to bed around 10. But then sometime during the night most nights of the week I wake up with serious hunger. It's really not habitual or stress eating or anything. It's physical hunger.
I have been just eating a handful of
mixed nuts and going back to sleep. And I haven't worried about it that much. (I'm trying to be less regimented and strict and more nonjudgmental as this is a lifestyle change.) but then my gf said that it could be because my blood sugar is unstable.

Replies

• sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Drink a casein protein shake before bed.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Have you calculated your TDEE? If you're starving in the middle of the night then you probably are at a very high calorie deficit. 1500 daily calories may be a bit low if you're doing a cardio/lifting exercise program. Also make sure to get plenty of protein.

Solid protein will keep you feeling full even longer than shakes. There's nothing wrong with late night snacks if you plan them into your daily calories. Just try eating them before bed instead of the middle of the night.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    It may be what you're eating for dinner rather than the number of calories. Protein and fat digest slower than simple carbs and keep you full longer. You should also have some carbs but make sure they are complex carbohydrates. If you do believe it is a problem with blood sugar, see your doctor for testing.
  • You guys rock! Thanks everybody! And ur right! I went thorough my log and it looks like I haven't been eating much protein for dinner...especially last night. I had a salad and about 3 oz of turkey and that was it..until I woke up at midnight looking to raid the fridge. Lol
    I'm def upping my protein and water and will keep an eye on blood sugar jic. Thanks guys!!