brittle nails and hair loss

Rurufit
Rurufit Posts: 44 Member
edited October 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Anyones taking multivitamins for stronger nails and hair? Did they really help?

Replies

• pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Check your protein intake using the macros tab. Increase protein & healthy fats if they are low. Also be sure you are getting enough overall calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Check your protein intake using the macros tab. Increase protein & healthy fats if they are low. Also be sure you are getting enough overall calories.

Yes
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    when I was on Weight Watchers, I lost a lottt of my hair. Like, kind of a scary amount. my hair is super super thin now, and somewhat makes me self conscious. I was told to take Biotin.. not sure if it helped at all. And I was actually researching this morning other vitamins to take for this problem. Obviously WW is a totally different focus than weight lifting and counting macros, so I'm hoping the hair loss isn't as bad now that my protein intake is much higher.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Getting enough calories and protein is critical. It takes a few weeks for the effects to show, as hair and nails are slow growing. Supporting vitamins for nails and hair include vitamins A and E, but if you aren't getting enough protein it's really not going to help much.

To protect my nails I use a Vitamin E Nail and cuticle oil, cut my nails shorter, and use a clear strengthening polish.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Hair loss and brittle nails are attributed to severely undereating, usually for long periods of time. Your body diverts the calories it is getting to more important bodily functions because it thinks you are in a starvation situation. Eat enough to support your bodily functions, in other words, lose weight more slowly and things should eventually revert to normal.

I tried biotin supplements a few years ago because I have always had thin nails. My nails were unaffected, my hair grew faster and my skin broke out in acne something awful. I threw away half the bottle.
  • Rurufit
    I actually have had this problem for too long even before i started dieting. So i dont think its related to undereating or malnutrition because i make sure i always have enough protein. I have tried almost all kinds of anti hair loss shampoos and ampules but nothing helped. I just HOPE anyone would suggest any sort of vitamins that have worked with them :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Yes I do take hair and nail vitamins. And do they work for me, hands down. My nails are hard as rocks and my hair is growing like a weed (i am growing it out)..

Now if you think you are deficient in your micros and perhaps are having any health issues this is my disclaimer that I am not a doctor and or advising you to take any vitamin or supplement. See the doctor first to rule out deficiencies.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    I don't have a good solution for hair loss, but use a product called "hard as hoof" for my nails and it is wonderful. I've found it at Walmart, but I don't know where else you can buy it from. It's a cream that comes in a small far with a green label. It smells amazing and it's very moisturizing/strengthening for the nails.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Have you had your thyroid checked? Those are two symptoms.
  • Rurufit
    Yes thyroid hormones results were normal.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    vitamins & propper diet have not helped my nails any, have always and still have brittle finger nails...i just assume mine are because i prefer to hand wash my dishes everyday, etc..

as for hair, i had more than the usual hair loss beforehand and also when i took multivitamins regularly in the past..what finally stop my hair loss was brushing out my hair before shower and not using shampoo regularly anymore.. i use wen sweet almond mint cleanser 2-3 times a week (the real chaz/qvc version, not the dumb down infomercial version that actually made my hair fall out more) and i use suave rosemary mint conditioner on the other days and shampoo the buildup about every other week only (followed with wen). about a two weeks after using wen everyday for a week and switching to wen & suave afterwards, my hair stopped falling out for first time in years!

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Rurufit wrote: »
    I actually have had this problem for too long even before i started dieting. So i dont think its related to undereating or malnutrition because i make sure i always have enough protein. I have tried almost all kinds of anti hair loss shampoos and ampules but nothing helped. I just HOPE anyone would suggest any sort of vitamins that have worked with them :)

Have you mentioned this to a dr? There are several deficiencies that can cause these symptoms (and not because you are not eating the right things, it could be a health issue prevening absorbtion).