Sugars ans Snacks

Options
Ok, I am always way over my sugars. I'm sure it's because I eat a lot of fruits. Can anyone give me some suggestions on low sugar snack items. I know I need to eat more veggies which I have been at dinner but not for snacks. Snacks usually consist of fiber one 90 calorie bars which are only 5 grams or I have fruit or fat free pudding cups. I appreciate your help! :smile:

Replies

• MistyRD
    MistyRD Posts: 7
    Options
    I like to eat a low-fat string cheese and 1/2 oz. (10) Almonds. The protein is satisfying and if I string the cheese it prolongs the snack...lol! I also eat 1/2 cup fat free or lowfat cottage cheese with some cinnamon sprinkled on top...may sound crazy, but it's really yummy (If you like cottage cheese). Another good one, that does have some sugar, but lots of protein is 1 6oz. container of greek yogurt...it's think and creamy tastes like you're being naughty, but so good for you! Hope that helps some...have a good day!
  • dcholliday2
    dcholliday2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am always over in sugars and have posted about this before asking the same questions. What I would do is take your total sugar that you had for the day then subtract any natural sugars from it like fruits, milk, honey, etc. Then you will get your "real" sugar total. The only downside to eating way too much natural sugar is it can throw off your insulin so do pair it with some protein.
  • msbrownbeauty87
    msbrownbeauty87 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am always over in sugars and have posted about this before asking the same questions. What I would do is take your total sugar that you had for the day then subtract any natural sugars from it like fruits, milk, honey, etc. Then you will get your "real" sugar total. The only downside to eating way too much natural sugar is it can throw off your insulin so do pair it with some protein.

oh wow i didnt know this, Thanks for sharing
  • MrsCurtisinTX
    MrsCurtisinTX Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • paigele
    paigele Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Mary I use 1/2 to 1 cup cut fresh veggies, or as others have said small portions of nuts.
    Some days I have 5 crackers with 1 Tbsp all natural PB (160 cal), or I make the flax bread from allrecipes.com and eat 1/2 of one serving. (85 cal one net carb)
    I also have the rule that for the majority of my fruits I pair them with a bit of protein.
    There are some tasty whey protein powders out there. I usually only take in 1/2 a scoop at a time (about 60 cals).
    One more thing- you can take a small portion of what you had planned for your meal and set it aside to finish 3 hours later. It functions as a snack but your body can digest it better in the smaller portions and it keeps the metabolism going.
  • carmenvo
    carmenvo Posts: 34
    Options
    Stupid question: how bad are sweeteners in stead of just sugar?