Finally 100% Motivated!

Options
Hello!

My name is Laura, and I'm ready to make a huge commitment to my life. I am from the UK, but moved to the US when I was in my early teens. I gained a lot of weight, lost it all, then gained it all back. I'm now close to 20, living in Korea as a stay at home wife (husband is in the army, so there aren't much jobs here) so I basically have all this free time. For a year since I've been here, I've done nothing with it except video games and TV... Depression has also played a huge part in my life, making me shy away from any friendships. I get paranoid that Koreans wont want to be my friend because I'm too fat (I'm 240, which is HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEE in Korea) and I disliked myself all together.

A week or so ago, I returned home from a trip to the UK, where I gained 10 lbs. I was 230, now I'm 240. In Nov, I'm moving back to the US, and a year after that, I'm moving back to the UK. My current goal is to get to be 190-180 in Sept, when my best friend visits, and then around 160 when I go back to the UK.

What motivated me to make a change? Seeing my pictures when I went to the UK, and being at the airport and being scared I'll be too big for the seat. (One of my worst fears.) I want to be healthy, I want to be able to walk up stairs without huffing and puffing, and I feel like I'm ready to make that step.

Funnily enough, buying an iPhone was one of best choices I've ever made. Each time I've dieted, I had issues counting calories and logging them. MyFitnessPal app makes it much easier for me. Plus all the great "healthy recipe" apps.

I've discovered myself. I feel like I know what I should and shouldn't do now. For example, FiberOne bars. Yes, some people can have a whole pack and go steady with it for a month, but, unfortunately, I get greedy and eat it within a day. So, I now buy only ONE if I REALLY want it, other times, I buy a banana.

I also realised rewarding myself with food was an extremely stupid move for myself. I felt good about losing 6 lbs, so I eat at BK. The next day, I think "whats one more?" And so forth. Sadly, this is one of the reasons my last diet failed. I ended up eating BK literally everyday for 2-3 weeks.

I now have an alarm for every two hours to remind me to drink water. Sounds a bit drastic, but I need the change. I'm shy of 20, and signing my own death certificate at this rate. What more do I need?

I've seen the beautiful people on here with such amazing success stories, and I really hope I can motivate somebody else in a few months. :)

Replies

• almondbliss
    almondbliss Posts: 115
    Options
    Great to hear you have the motivation....You will do awesome, you feel free to add me....welcome to the journey!
  • drwalker09
    drwalker09 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ^ DITTO!
  • atashap
    atashap Posts: 85
    Options
    Great energy so I know you will do what you have set out to do, Feel free to add me, and GOOD LUCK!!!
  • lauraallover
    lauraallover Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody! You are all so inspirational!
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, Im a stay at home mom and sitting around at home all day is making me huge, currently 209. Finally taking my weight lose seriously and determined to lose! We can do it!!
  • northernlights907
    Options
    Im a stay at home mom too. Know exactly what you mean. Im adding you! lol
  • NWfluffy
    NWfluffy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You're in the right place! Log it ALL and you'll be amazed at what you learn.

My husband retired from the Navy a few years ago so I know what it's like to move around the world with kids in tow. Get out -- volunteer at school/preschool, go to church, join the spouses group. My saving grace when we moved to Naples, IT was a playgroup. Some of my best friends now are folks I met then (12 years ago!) Also, learn Korean and get out into the community. I took Italian & still keep up with some folks we met there. The classes will be available on base.

Also, don't be afraid to go to your primary care provider & talk about depression. When we came home from Naples I gained a bunch of weight, slept lots, life was just too hard, etc. My PCM put me on an antidepressant (talk with him/her about taking one that does not have weight gain as a side affect) and it helps me immensely. You can also talk with Family Services about support groups. A few of those were really helpful for me when I had 2 toddlers at home ;)

Above all, enjoy your time. Few of us are fortunate enough to live overseas. Experience it fully !!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hello!

My name is Laura, and I'm ready to make a huge commitment to my life. I am from the UK, but moved to the US when I was in my early teens. I gained a lot of weight, lost it all, then gained it all back. I'm now close to 20, living in Korea as a stay at home wife (husband is in the army, so there aren't much jobs here) so I basically have all this free time. For a year since I've been here, I've done nothing with it except video games and TV... Depression has also played a huge part in my life, making me shy away from any friendships. I get paranoid that Koreans wont want to be my friend because I'm too fat (I'm 240, which is HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEE in Korea) and I disliked myself all together.

A week or so ago, I returned home from a trip to the UK, where I gained 10 lbs. I was 230, now I'm 240. In Nov, I'm moving back to the US, and a year after that, I'm moving back to the UK. My current goal is to get to be 190-180 in Sept, when my best friend visits, and then around 160 when I go back to the UK.

What motivated me to make a change? Seeing my pictures when I went to the UK, and being at the airport and being scared I'll be too big for the seat. (One of my worst fears.) I want to be healthy, I want to be able to walk up stairs without huffing and puffing, and I feel like I'm ready to make that step.

Funnily enough, buying an iPhone was one of best choices I've ever made. Each time I've dieted, I had issues counting calories and logging them. MyFitnessPal app makes it much easier for me. Plus all the great "healthy recipe" apps.

I've discovered myself. I feel like I know what I should and shouldn't do now. For example, FiberOne bars. Yes, some people can have a whole pack and go steady with it for a month, but, unfortunately, I get greedy and eat it within a day. So, I now buy only ONE if I REALLY want it, other times, I buy a banana.

I also realised rewarding myself with food was an extremely stupid move for myself. I felt good about losing 6 lbs, so I eat at BK. The next day, I think "whats one more?" And so forth. Sadly, this is one of the reasons my last diet failed. I ended up eating BK literally everyday for 2-3 weeks.

I now have an alarm for every two hours to remind me to drink water. Sounds a bit drastic, but I need the change. I'm shy of 20, and signing my own death certificate at this rate. What more do I need?

I've seen the beautiful people on here with such amazing success stories, and I really hope I can motivate somebody else in a few months. :)

Since you have an i-phone ( great choice, by the way!) there are loads of apps for exercising. 200 sit-ups, 200 squats, yoga, butt workout, arm workout etc... you get the drift. I love my i-phone and all the choices it gives me to improve my life. You could easily lose a load of weight just by sticking with MFP and some extra exercise.. It really can be (almost) easy. You will always be having to fight yourself, you may feel your brain is trying to sabotage your weight loss, but keep trying. If you have a "bad" day, log it and move on. As long as you are honest with yourself and MFP you will lose weight. Good luck!! Persevere! We're all here to help you, every step of the way...:heart::heart:
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    It's nice to see someone so young trying to figure it all out. I'm saying that because I've been trying to figure it out for 30 years but only really overthinking it. The best thing I did was finally accept that, for me, dieting is for life. Therefore, there is no point in putting it off to tomorrow, or even later today. At almost 50, there is only today, for certain, anyway. It's a gift, so I use it. The definition of diet for me is: Actively diet more days than I don't. I play the numbers/averages game - if my calories in are less than my calories out, my average intake will result in weight loss. I don't worry too much about how much I lose, how fast I lose it, or slipups and I don't set deadlines. I have a goal of 150 and I hope I live long enough to get there, but If dieting is for life, then what's the hurry? I'll still be lighter [and happier] on the day I die, than the day I started dieting for life. An all-or-nothing attitude is what got me 112 pounds overweight in the first place.

For example, one BK burger and I was convinced I'd failed, gave up and totally gave in, setting myself up for another weight gain and weeks or months of more misery. I'm not having that in my life and I'm not doing that to myself anymore. If I eat a MacD's Angus bacon cheeseburger, I darn well enjoy it, then I log it into MFP. All 790-900 or so calories of it [I add Mac Sauce - if I'm doin' it, I'm doin' it :wink: ]. It keeps it real and keeps me going. I know it's going to take me 3 workouts to counteract that burger, so I think twice about eating it and I sure as heck don't eat one every week, but I don't wait until the craving is such that I'd drive through a wall to get it, either. By changing my attitude to one of acceptance that I'm in this for life, I'm ironically finding it a whole lot easier to stick to than if I look at a 'diet' as something temporary. I guess you could say it's a 'lifestyle' choice, but to me, that smacks of inflexibility too, so I tend to avoid that term. I'm counting calories, logging them and I'm aware of what I eat. It's a diet. I know myself well enough to know that if I start feeling restricted, limited, tied down, denied, inflexible in my food choices, it's not a good thing and I'm just setting myself up for a binge. So...I try my best to eat healthy, according to my understanding, and if I eat something I know is 'unhealthy' once in a while, I lighten up on myself and log it to keep it real.

That's what I'm doin'.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • lauraallover
    lauraallover Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's nice to see someone so young trying to figure it all out. I'm saying that because I've been trying to figure it out for 30 years but only really overthinking it. The best thing I did was finally accept that, for me, dieting is for life. Therefore, there is no point in putting it off to tomorrow, or even later today. At almost 50, there is only today, for certain, anyway. It's a gift, so I use it. The definition of diet for me is: Actively diet more days than I don't. I play the numbers/averages game - if my calories in are less than my calories out, my average intake will result in weight loss. I don't worry too much about how much I lose, how fast I lose it, or slipups and I don't set deadlines. I have a goal of 150 and I hope I live long enough to get there, but If dieting is for life, then what's the hurry? I'll still be lighter [and happier] on the day I die, than the day I started dieting for life. An all-or-nothing attitude is what got me 112 pounds overweight in the first place.

For example, one BK burger and I was convinced I'd failed, gave up and totally gave in, setting myself up for another weight gain and weeks or months of more misery. I'm not having that in my life and I'm not doing that to myself anymore. If I eat a MacD's Angus bacon cheeseburger, I darn well enjoy it, then I log it into MFP. All 790-900 or so calories of it [I add Mac Sauce - if I'm doin' it, I'm doin' it :wink: ]. It keeps it real and keeps me going. I know it's going to take me 3 workouts to counteract that burger, so I think twice about eating it and I sure as heck don't eat one every week, but I don't wait until the craving is such that I'd drive through a wall to get it, either. By changing my attitude to one of acceptance that I'm in this for life, I'm ironically finding it a whole lot easier to stick to than if I look at a 'diet' as something temporary. I guess you could say it's a 'lifestyle' choice, but to me, that smacks of inflexibility too, so I tend to avoid that term. I'm counting calories, logging them and I'm aware of what I eat. It's a diet. I know myself well enough to know that if I start feeling restricted, limited, tied down, denied, inflexible in my food choices, it's not a good thing and I'm just setting myself up for a binge. So...I try my best to eat healthy, according to my understanding, and if I eat something I know is 'unhealthy' once in a while, I lighten up on myself and log it to keep it real.

That's what I'm doin'.

Hollycat

Thanks for everybody's kind words. I really got my butt into gear, and I'm now down to 218. Half of that weight was lost my counting calories. I was starting to lose 5 lbs a week so I slowed down, I have no real restrictions to my diet besides soda, and on the rare occasions I do have soda, I have diet soda. I know it's still not a good choice, but better than the other stuff in my opinion.

I'm not a huge salad person either, so I don't really eat a lot of salads. I've started to drink green smoothies though! Spinach and fruits. It was hard to swallow at first, but I'm a bit more used to the taste. I'm also going to start drinking soy milk, which will be easy for me because I was a vegetarian for years, and I'm starting more tofu and fish into my diet!

I still indulge every now and then though, don't get me wrong. Every weekend, my husband and I go out on our date night and eat out, and sometimes I do buy chocolate, but I'm really good with getting only one kit kat, and not eating it all straight away. I also don't lie with the calories, which for me, at first, was hard. I didn't want to face the fact that one day, I'd gone over my calorie limit by 1500, but I sucked it up and put it in anyway, it ended up just motivating me more to eat better and try harder at the gym! :)

I also find having people added on here, where I can see their progress is pretty motivational too! :)