What's more important?

Options
Meeting your calorie goal?
Or not exceeding carbs/fat/sodium/etc?

I have 140 calories left, but I'm real close on carbs and fat and I'm already over on protein and fiber.

Should I try to fill those 140 calories and go over in carbs or should I stay under in carbs and calories?

I am hungry...
btw, if you want to view my diary, it's public...

So what's more important?

Obviously, I understand that what I do tonight isn't going to make or break me, but for future knowledge and habit-making.... should I strive to stay under my limits or meet my calorie goal?

Replies

• Jbledsoe42
    Jbledsoe42 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure myself, but am really interested in others opinions. Hopefully someone will know!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Meeting your calorie goal?
    Or not exceeding carbs/fat/sodium/etc?

I have 140 calories left, but I'm real close on carbs and fat and I'm already over on protein and fiber.

Should I try to fill those 140 calories and go over in carbs or should I stay under in carbs and calories?

I am hungry...
    btw, if you want to view my diary, it's public...

So what's more important?

Obviously, I understand that what I do tonight isn't going to make or break me, but for future knowledge and habit-making.... should I strive to stay under my limits or meet my calorie goal?

If you're not hungry don't eat... there are 4calories in 1gram of protein and 4 calories in 1 gram of carbohydrate, and 9 calories in 1 gram of fat.

You add up all you're recommended protein/fat/carb intake, you get your total calories.

The point of all this is to stay below your caloric needs for that day.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting into the habit of hitting your calorie target. Don't worry TOO much about the macros. Over time, you will find a good balance of protein/carbs/fat that work for you. The MFP default setting for protein is on the low side, so don't be afraid to go over, even by a lot.
  • sarahlyzzibeth
    Options
    If you're not hungry don't eat... there are 4calories in 1gram of protein and 4 calories in 1 gram of carbohydrate, and 9 calories in 1 gram of fat.

You add up all you're recommended protein/fat/carb intake, you get your total calories.

The point of all this is to stay below your caloric needs for that day.
    That's true, but not very many foods have perfect carb/fat/protein ratios. In fact.... most of them don't. So I have this dilemma a lot :(
  • sarahlyzzibeth
    Options
    I would suggest getting into the habit of hitting your calorie target. Don't worry TOO much about the macros. Over time, you will find a good balance of protein/carbs/fat that work for you. The MFP default setting for protein is on the low side, so don't be afraid to go over, even by a lot.

Yeah, I've been trying to do that. Eating on a meal plan, though, it's super hard to find foods that satisfy the nutritional aspect of things.
    So... you say calorie goal is more important in the broad spectrum of things?
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    for pure weight control, calories is the most important thing
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options

Yeah, I've been trying to do that. Eating on a meal plan, though, it's super hard to find foods that satisfy the nutritional aspect of things.

Broadly speaking, yes. By the way, I peeked into your diary and you seem to be making really good choices.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how many calories you are allowed a day. If you are only eating 1200 (as many people do) then I think you should eat something healthy to get up to your goal, otherwise you will be dropping a bit too low. If your calorie allowance is higher then I don't think it's quite so important to get all your calories in, you have a bit more wriggle room to make sure your body is getting enough nutrition.
    In general I tend to think that it's better to eat a healthy number of calories (healthy food of course!) and use the fat/carb/protein numbers as a guide, not a strict requirement.

Edited to add:
    OK, I've had a quick look at your diary and the main thing that jumps out at me is that there aren't any veggies in there (or maybe you don't log them?). I'd suggest having a salad with as many veggies as you can get in there, a bit of cheese or cottage cheese and some dressing made with olive oil. That will give you some calories and lots of goodness!
  • registers
    Options

Taso is right, hit your caloric goals, if you're used to over eating a lot. This is my view on it. The greater the caloric deficit the greater the weight loss. IF you're hungry, eat your calories, if you're not then don't. You'll just be delaying your weight loss.

Don't get too worried about eating things perfectly, don't try to be a perfectionist. Tighten things up as you get closer to your goal weight. If you're losing weight, don't change anything, As I think about it, I try to stay under 100 grams of carbs a day, and I don't care about the fat or the protein, I just do my best to make sure the fats come from a healthy source.
  • sarahlyzzibeth
    Options

So in what cases would the others be more important than calories? I'm trying to learn here :) I want to be overall healthy, not just....losing weight.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options

So in what cases would the others be more important than calories? I'm trying to learn here :) I want to be overall healthy, not just....losing weight.

If you eat mostly minimally processed "clean" foods - lean proteins, veggies, complex carbs, the "good" fats, and exercise, you will be healthy.

With the specific breakdown of the macros, my honest opinion is that it comes down to personal preference. Different people like to eat differently. As long as it's not anything too extreme like almost 0 protein or almost 0 carbs or almost 0 fats, then you should be fine. And you're nowhere near any extreme levels.

Many sources recommend anywhere from .8 to 2g of protein per pound of body weight per day. I think that becomes more important if you get serious about strength training.

I personally feel very comfortable with 40/40/20% protein/carbs/fat. But if you wanted to do 30/50/20 or 50/20/30 or etc, I would be hard pressed to make an argument that one is better than the other.

... unless you're an elite athelete or bodybuilder in the final stages of training for a big event :)
  • sarahlyzzibeth
    Options
    Broadly speaking, yes. By the way, I peeked into your diary and you seem to be making really good choices.

thank you :) it helps that my favorite foods tend to be healthy
    I think it depends on how many calories you are allowed a day. If you are only eating 1200 (as many people do) then I think you should eat something healthy to get up to your goal, otherwise you will be dropping a bit too low. If your calorie allowance is higher then I don't think it's quite so important to get all your calories in, you have a bit more wriggle room to make sure your body is getting enough nutrition.
    In general I tend to think that it's better to eat a healthy number of calories (healthy food of course!) and use the fat/carb/protein numbers as a guide, not a strict requirement.

I have 1370 per day, so a little bit more. I suppose you're right. having at least 1200 is a must, but especially since I didn't work out today or anything being a little under 1370 isn't going to hurt me
    Don't get too worried about eating things perfectly, don't try to be a perfectionist. Tighten things up as you get closer to your goal weight. If you're losing weight, don't change anything, As I think about it, I try to stay under 100 grams of carbs a day, and I don't care about the fat or the protein, I just do my best to make sure the fats come from a healthy source.

you hit the nail on the head............... I am a perfectionist! not only that, I'm 6lbs away from my goal and I've started lifting to help tone/build muscle to fill out my loose skin, so I think nutrition is pretty important in that aspect... sigh.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    When you are trying to do more bodyrecomposition stuff e.g. losing fat while retaining as much muscle mass as possible, a higher protein intake will definitely be necessary.

I would not worry about going over on protein of fibre ever. (especially, if you are on MFP base targets) I don't even worry too much about fat intake as long as they are from good sources ie. natural pb, avocado, nuts, fish oil (my staples).
  • registers
    Options

I think taso said it above, I like read one or 2 sentences he said. From the gist of it, I get that... he's saying it boils down to the healthy food choices. Which is true. You can eat 1200 calories a day, or 1200 calories of vegetables? which one is healthier? you know. The best thing is to eat balanced healthy food. The less processed, the better.
  • sarahlyzzibeth
    Options
    If you eat mostly minimally processed "clean" foods - lean proteins, veggies, complex carbs, the "good" fats, and exercise, you will be healthy.

With the specific breakdown of the macros, my honest opinion is that it comes down to personal preference. Different people like to eat differently. As long as it's not anything too extreme like almost 0 protein or almost 0 carbs or almost 0 fats, then you should be fine. And you're nowhere near any extreme levels.

Many sources recommend anywhere from .8 to 2g of protein per pound of body weight per day. I think that becomes more important if you get serious about strength training.

I personally feel very comfortable with 40/40/20% protein/carbs/fat. But if you wanted to do 30/50/20 or 50/20/30 or etc, I would be hard pressed to make an argument that one is better than the other.

... unless you're an elite athelete or bodybuilder in the final stages of training for a big event :)

Thank you for that :) I do try to eat as healthy as I can, trying to get many different types of produce into my diet to get the vitamins I need... and MFP has me doing 55% carbs, 30% fat, and 15% protein, which has felt pretty natural for me because I've always been big on bread and fruit mostly and less on meat, however, I have considered upping my protein a bit now that I've begun weight training--of course, "bulking up" for a woman is practically impossible without hours and hours of building per day (thank goodness, haha) but I do need protein to support my muscles and help them grow... maybe I'll go progressively.... 20%protein/50%carbs and once i get used to that, 25% protein/45% carbs... although upping protein is going to automatically up my fat intake as well. this is hard! haha
  • sarahlyzzibeth
    Options
    When you are trying to do more bodyrecomposition stuff e.g. losing fat while retaining as much muscle mass as possible, a higher protein intake will definitely be necessary.

So true. wish i liked protein sources more :)
    I think taso said it above, I like read one or 2 sentences he said. From the gist of it, I get that... he's saying it boils down to the healthy food choices. Which is true. You can eat 1200 calories a day, or 1200 calories of vegetables? which one is healthier? you know. The best thing is to eat balanced healthy food. The less processed, the better.

you're right, thank you :)
  • registers
    Options

So true. wish i liked protein sources more :)

you're right, thank you :)

oops i meant to say "you can eat 1200 calories of ice cream or 1200 of vegetables, which one is healthier?"
  • sarahlyzzibeth
    Options
    oops i meant to say "you can eat 1200 calories of ice cream or 1200 of vegetables, which one is healthier?"
    I understood what you meant, no worries :)
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I read a post by someone who said that the carbs/fat/protein are all MINIMUMS

Try and stay under calories, sugar and sodium