Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hot yoga

Just wondering if hot yoga has more benefits then regular yoga? New to yoga as well.

Replies

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Contrary to popular belief, you don't burn more calories in hot yoga. The benefits if the heat are that you are emulating an environment closer to traditional yoga in India, and the heat can be helpful in being able to get deeper into the poses too.
    I've done Bikram yoga with is heated to an absurd temperature (like 104 or something) and you are not allowed water breaks.
    Hot yoga is usually done at 98 degrees and it is not as rigid as Bikram as far as water breaks, you can close your eyes if you want, the asanas are not as repetitive.
    Some people believe that the sweat helps detox the body.

They offer hot yoga at my studio, but I haven't take it.
    I sweat like Tony Soprano when I run, so there's my detox. I'm always running hot anyway AND where I live is always, always super hot anyway.

My husband is always cold and loves the hot weather so he wants to try it because he enjoys working out in the heat.

Give it a try! Nothing to lose, right ?

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Forgot to add, the asanas / yoga poses that are usually done in hot yoga tend to be more dynamic and faster than other types of yoga like Gentle Yoga classes or Yin Yoga, so you will focus more on strength moves using body weight and a little but of increased heart rate from the Sun Salutations

Hope this helps
  • beatonjason83
    beatonjason83 Posts: 36 Member
    It does thanks! The studio closest to me is a bikram studio. I will definitely give it a try
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Yes in addition to whats stated above, you can get deeper in the poses and because the muscles are more flexible in the heat it helps to prevent injury. Also, your blood vessels are supposedly enlarged during hot yoga and it helps with blood circulation. Mental benefits are that you learn to be comfortable in uncomfortable situations and work to ease your mind.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    emhunter wrote: »
    Yes in addition to whats stated above, you can get deeper in the poses and because the muscles are more flexible in the heat it helps to prevent injury. Also, your blood vessels are supposedly enlarged during hot yoga and it helps with blood circulation. Mental benefits are that you learn to be comfortable in uncomfortable situations and work to ease your mind.

Because of the extra flexibility, you can be more prone to injury by over extending
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    moyer566 wrote: »
    emhunter wrote: »

Because of the extra flexibility, you can be more prone to injury by over extending

You can. That's one type of injury. However the injuries that come from not stretching are reduced.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Agree with the above.

I'm not really a fan of bikram, it was far to rigid in the sequences and slow for my personal taste (and its also extremely, almost unbearably, hot).

I now practice vinyasa flow yoga which is hot and is quite active (personally is a good workout).
    The amount of calories burnt in yoga will depend on the type of yoga, the instructor and your commitment, similarly, the type of mental focus/meditation you get out of it will be a reflection of those three things. Try out a few different types and see what you like most!

NB: In terms of over extending, it is true that the heat can lead to a "false" sense of flexibility, just remember that pain is not the aim, pull back when you need and tell the instructor if you have any injuries.
  • NYHealth
    NYHealth Posts: 5 Member
    I'm a bikram fan but like the above you have to find what's right for you and remember yoga should always be more about the meditative and mental state (which is just as important as physical). it will bring physical benefits but yea even though you're sweating like crazy the calorie burn isn't actually that much.