Jump Start

Options
Hi. I have posted in the past about getting back on track...and yet here I am again, getting back on track. 2013-2014 I lost 30 pounds and was at the point of running 60 minutes at a time and feeling pretty good. Now I am up 70 pounds from then at my highest weight ever and although I did this once, I can't seem to get back on track. I started tracking my calories again and planned to stay around 1200, but can't seem to even do that. I want to do something to help get me jump started to where counting calories and running will be easier to get back into. Does anyone have a plan that they followed for a short amount of time to "shock" them into not feeling as hungry and then leading back into 1200 calories?

I was thinking something along the lines of 500 calories a day throughout the week and then more on the weekend, averaging to still be around 1000 per day? Or maybe there is a good book to follow (Paleo or 5:2)? I have shakeology at home... maybe a plan that involves drinking mainly those?

Again, not planning on doing this long term.. just for a few weeks to get my mindset back and then I'll transition to the 1200 and running that I did the first time and had success with.

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Sorry but it does not sound like a great plan. Maybe u couldn't stick with 1200 because it was too low?
    Hi. I have posted in the past about getting back on track...and yet here I am again, getting back on track. 2013-2014 I lost 30 pounds and was at the point of running 60 minutes at a time and feeling pretty good. Now I am up 70 pounds from then at my highest weight ever and although I did this once, I can't seem to get back on track. I started tracking my calories again and planned to stay around 1200, but can't seem to even do that. I want to do something to help get me jump started to where counting calories and running will be easier to get back into. Does anyone have a plan that they followed for a short amount of time to "shock" them into not feeling as hungry and then leading back into 1200 calories?

I was thinking something along the lines of 500 calories a day throughout the week and then more on the weekend, averaging to still be around 1000 per day? Or maybe there is a good book to follow (Paleo or 5:2)? I have shakeology at home... maybe a plan that involves drinking mainly those?

Again, not planning on doing this long term.. just for a few weeks to get my mindset back and then I'll transition to the 1200 and running that I did the first time and had success with.

Maybe don't be so aggressive so u can still enjoy life. I'm set at 1700 and have found that far more manageable long term. Do what u can keep up for life . This is not a quick fix
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    OP dumbest ideal EVER!!!!

Just eat at a reasonable deficit. Losing fast never turns out well and most definitely not healthy to do so.

Even 1200 calories is not a good ideal, unless you are eating back exercise calories.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1200 is the minimum for most women (shorties are the exception)
    eating less than that is not healthy.
    eat 1200 at least. MFP is so that you eat your exercise calories back.
    if you want a blanket total of calories, you can work with a TDEE total. In the end, after excersising, i eat 1500ish calories
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but weight issues happen due to lack of changing habitual behavior. Massive calorie cuts will just help you lose water and possibly reduce your metabolic rate to crawl.
    You want a jump start? Just start. Don't overthink it or believe you can fool your body. It's much smarter than you think.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I use your idea of eating less on the weekdays to eat more on the weekends, because having the weekend to look forward to makes it easy for me to stay on track during the week. But I think you are setting your goals too low, which is why you are probably failing.

If you eat 1000 per day on weekdays and 2000 per day on Saturday and Sunday, that averages out to just over 1200 per day. I'd give that a try and see how it goes.
  • Serah87
    Options
    I use your idea of eating less on the weekdays to eat more on the weekends, because having the weekend to look forward to makes it easy for me to stay on track during the week. But I think you are setting your goals too low, which is why you are probably failing.

If you eat 1000 per day on weekdays and 2000 per day on Saturday and Sunday, that averages out to just over 1200 per day. I'd give that a try and see how it goes.

Bad advice!!!!

OP is 27 years old. 1000 calories is NOT a good ideal, even for 5 days!!!

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are looking for a quick fix. There isn't one. Set a reasonable goal (I am 5'2", and 42, losing on 1600/day plus exercise calories as adjusted by FitBit). You will be able to eat more, fit in some treats on occasion so that you can enjoy the journey while still achieving your goals. Over restricting can lead to binging, and simply giving up. Take your time, be patient, and make it a long lasting change that sets you up for long-term success.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    5: 2 is 500 calorie 2 days a week and MAINTENANCE for the other 5. The weekly average is a typical deficit, nothing drastic.

If you want to zig-zag your calories for the weekend that's fine. But pick some numbers that provide you with adequate nutrition.

We all want to lose weight as of "yesterday." But the point is we can't do that without some serious health sacrifices. Do you want the number on the scale......or do you want a lower body fat percentage? A lower body fat % looks better than a higher body fat %.

Healthy weight loss helps you lose mostly fat. Slow your weight loss down, it will look better on you.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Bad advice!!!!

Based on what? It's over 1200 average.
  • Serah87
    Options

Bad advice!!!!

27 year old needs more then 1200 calories a day.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I would like to point out that you did not have success the first time. You did a crash diet to lose 30 pounds in 2014 and then immediately gained 70 pounds by 2015. That is not a success. There is no point in losing weight that you are going to regain. That is a yoyo diet and is pointless. That is a recipe for years of torture that many of us have been through. But you're young. Listen to the advice from those of us who have been through your exact same struggle. It can't hurt to try. Maybe it will save you years of weightloss/ weight gain anguish. Set a reasonable plan in place that is easy for you to do that you can stick to for the long haul.

Because it's unlikely you're going to be able to crash diet 70 pounds. Talk about torture. :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You're not a car - no need for a jump start. Quick fixes don't work - got to put in the work to get the lasting results. You might want to ask yourself if you want to be healthy or just thin. If you don't care anything about your health then certainly you can try the 500 calories - you'll probably be miserable, and so hungry you end up binging and gaining back all the weight anyway. Or you can be healthy, set a reasonable deficit and get some lasting results even if it isn't as quick as you'd like.
  • kbeaumont88
    kbeaumont88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your insight. I'll be sure to incorporate your advice!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Just get with it. Cut at 1-2 lbs per week, which may be more that 1200 calories. Do it. Don't restrict, don't try to "shock" your body...just count your dang calories. You'll get the weight off again and if you adopt a new and sustainable way of eating, you'll keep it off this time.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Bad advice!!!!

27 year old needs more then 1200 calories a day.

Again, based on what? It's what this site recommends for those wanting to lose 2 lbs per week, which isn't all that unreasonable for someone needing to lose 70+ lbs. What makes it unhealthy?