New Omnivore!

Options
Collidoscopekid
Collidoscopekid Posts: 195 Member
Hey!
So I have been a vegetarian for almost eight years. I have started incorporating meat into my diet again. Well needless to say, I am lost on what to do with it! I don't know what kinds of meat to buy or what to do with them when I have them. I am trying to stay relatively low carb. I have been looking around on Pinterest and most of the receipes I am finding are not exactly healthy. Does anyone have some relatively simple receipes they really like? I am open to suggestions!

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Here are two super simple chicken recipes I use all the time. I usually pair them with frozen veggies. Both make enough for 2 people.

Salsa Chicken:
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    8 chicken tenderloins (usually 1.25 lbs or so)
    Salt and pepper
    1 cup salsa
    1/4 cup light sour cream

In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then cook it in the pan until both sides are golden brown. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside and turn the heat down to medium. Add the salsa to the pan and stir until it starts to bubble. Then turn the heat down to low and stir in the sour cream. Return the chicken to the pan, cover, and simmer for 4-5 minutes. I serve it with shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese sprinkled on top.

"Cracker Barrel" Chicken Tenderloins:
    8 Chicken tenderloins (usually 1.25 lb or so)
    1/2 cup light italian dressing
    1 tsp lime juice
    1.5 tsp honey

Mix dressing, lime juice, and honey in a quart size freezer bag. Add in chicken tenderloins and marinate in the fridge for 1 hour. Empty entire contents on bag into a pan and cook on medium heat until both side are good and brown.
  • Collidoscopekid
    Collidoscopekid Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    These sound great. Thank you!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Ha! I'm trying to figure out the opposite and make more vegetarian recipes.

I often will cook a whole roasted chicken and then use it for a few days (it's just me), then make stock from the leftover bones. It's super simple.

I would check out a basic cook book from the library for ideas/tips and techniques. Martha Stewart, Mark Bittman & Cooks Illustrated are good choices. There are certain things like making sure the meat is dry, not super cold before cooking, and letting meat rest after cooking that really enhance the flavor. Buying quality meat is also key. I no longer buy from the big chain grocery store, I found a local butcher that has a great selection that tastes substantially better and not that much more expensive.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Choose a meat you think you'll enjoy (fish? chicken? pork chop?).

Cook it with some spices you think you'll enjoy.

Add some veg / carbs you think you'll enjoy.

Easy!