I STRESS EAT HELP!!!!

Options
i eat when I am stressed and need advice and tips! With working and college I have been more stressed than ever!

Replies

• ryanhateshimself
    ryanhateshimself Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Think about nachos, tacos, cheeseburger, hot dogs, ramen, sushi and lobsters..... Wow.
    Dude, I am sorry, I am super hungry now
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    mallowgal wrote: »
    i eat when I am stressed and need advice and tips! With working and college I have been more stressed than ever!
    Log everything immediately before you eat. That will give a bit of time buffer for you to think about if you really want to eat and you can see how many calories it will be so that you may choose something else (such as a drink of water, exercise, or something distracting) before you've eaten.
  • rjraymon1
    rjraymon1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've done the same thing. I used to stress eat, and boredom eat. For me, it was just getting something flavorful to help curb the want. What helped me, and still does, is crystal light. I make pitchers, and have the single usage ones. It has zero calories, gives you something yummy (lots of different kinds), makes you feel full, and you're consuming more water! Don't be afraid to drink a lot... They are cheap, too. I had a while pitcher and 2 individuals just today because I cut my calories back, and it worked! Hope it helps!
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Have you tried low cal popcorn when you feel the urge to eat? When I get stressed, it's like I crave that hand to mouth comforting action. I whip up some popcorn in my air popper, spray on some 'I Can't Believe it's Not Butter' and add salt. Good stuff!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    mallowgal wrote: »

Overeating just makes you more stressed.

Don't believe everything you think. Learn to challenge the voices that tell you to do things you'll regret.

Don't believe everything you think.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    If stress can produce cortisol, and cortisol needs an outlet, then don't eat - do something active. Take a walk, go for a run, do some jumping jacks. Much better stress reliever than too much food.

Too much food comes with regret. A burst of exhilarating activity? Almost NEVER comes with regret.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I use to stress eat but learned that regular exercise helps me with stress far more than food ever did.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Chew gum, chew on a straw or toothpick, drink water or unsweetened tea...pretty much focus on putting zero additional calories into your mouth if it is an oral fixation. Hope I gave you some ideas! Good luck! :smiley:
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Stress eating was the main reason I started Jenny Craig. These last few months are so busy so it's nice to let someone else do the thinking for a while. Anyway, I try and have dinner as soon as I come home from school (I teach) so I don't have the opportunity to put snack foods in my mouth. The other day I had mowed through a bag of popcorn, half a bag of crackers and half a container of cream cheese before I had realised what I was doing. :s
  • ctflegal
    ctflegal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to do that too but now i have changed (i still fall into old habits sometimes) how i deal with stress. now i go for a walk or go to the gym
  • thunderseed
    thunderseed Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Find some ways to get rid of the stressful situations in your life, or find some better ways to cope with them. Manage your priorities better. Is it more important for you to work and make yourself ill with stress, or would it be better if you just quit and found something less stressful? The latter is obviously the right answer but of course people would rather remain stressed out in this day of age because it's what they think they "have" to do. I'm not like that though. I believe that you should do whatever it takes to be happy. Life is short.

This is what helped me... Learn to have a healthy relationship with your food. You are stressed out, but the problem is your stress, not your eating habits. You are just stressing out about eating too much or that you are not eating properly. You are just using your diet as another aspect to be stressed about.

Use the law of attraction and keep telling yourself that you have a fast metabolism, and that you can eat as much as you like without ever getting fat - and the more you believe it, it will happen. I know that sounds unbelievable, but it worked for me, and I used to be anorexic, terrified of getting fat.

Have you ever eaten a burger and told yourself how gross it would make you feel, and it did make you feel bad after eating it? And then did you ever experience a time where you ate a burger and told yourself, i deserve this, I am going to enjoy this and it is going to make me feel great, and it did make you feel great? If you think food will make you fat, it will and vice versa. The more you stress out about food, the more of an enemy it will become to you.

If you have a healthy relationship with food, the fact that food is enjoyable and something that brings you comfort wouldn't bother you. Food should bring you comfort. When you truly love your food, balance will come naturally.
    It's not like you will just start binging on all the unhealthy foods in the world, because once you enjoy eating and stop thinking that eating is taboo, you will literally enjoy eating foods that make you feel healthier. This is why healthy people can literally eat whatever they want, without any restrictions and they never get fat, they eat intuitively, and they listen to what their bodies want.

So, my advice might sound odd, but who cares if you are stress eating. It's probably a natural coping skill that your body needs right now. When you are emotionally and mentally drained, you do need to eat more than usual. There's nothing wrong with that, the real problem is that you are stressed out, and that's what you should deal with. You know stress in itself is a leading cause of illness and weight gain in itself, but not because it makes you eat more or less, because of the actual stress on the adrenals, body and the mind. In naturopathic medicine, it is believed that stress is one of the main factors that cause disease and cancers.
  • adalisd
    adalisd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I have never posted here, but my problem is I can lose weight really fast, then I get stressed and I eat 20 chocolates in a day in the office. And of course, then gain it really fast. Everytime I pass by where they have the chocolates I pick 2. I already told them to buy the ones I don't like, but imagine that lol. I started the lemonade diet today. Let's see how it goes. My thing is ice cream and chocolate and only when I'm stressed out
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Don't believe everything you think. Learn to challenge the voices that tell you to do things you'll regret.

Don't believe everything you think.

I want this inscribed in marble with golden letters and put above every entrance.

Seriously, this. Learn to put in perpsective or tackle your stress, find other ways to relax like sport or meditation or whatever, and face the deep root reasons for your stress and try to improve on them.

Yes, it sounds trite, like "eat less and move more" sounds trite. It also works. Slowly. But it works, and helps you deal better with stress in the future, and you will certainly need those skills.