should i take a potassium supplement

Options
mcgav77
mcgav77 Posts: 6 Member
I'm relatively new to MVP and I've been using the calorie counter to some success.
But I have noticed my potassium intake is very low and I am unclear if a supplement is required.
Thanx in advanced

Replies

• yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I didn't know potassium was so hard to get! I eat a varied diet (which tends to include a fair share of bananas), and I don't think I've hit my recommended potassium even one day!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I believe the potassium goal on MFP is very high. I follow the general rule to eat at least as much potassium as sodium. The two work together in the body, so having roughly equal amounts is a good idea.

I find my best sources of potassium are spinach, broccoli, and tomatoes. Low sodium tomato soup is the best because it tends to have twice as much potassium as sodium (or more!)
  • Quietchewbacca
    Options
    eat some bananas! =D
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    I noticed that too but i did some research most everything has pottasium, red meats, fish etct(im on low carb) Here is a link I found. I guess MFP numbers on pottasium are off.
    http://www.stuartxchange.com/Potassium.html

I dont even monitor my pottasium any more because it is always low
  • R4z0r4Mm0
    R4z0r4Mm0 Posts: 131
    Options
    I was low on potassium and it brought about a gout attack - now I have at least 3-4 servings of fruit a day. Natural foods like fruit is the way to go for sure.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    It depends on how low you are and how much sodium you consume. It's necessary for your nerves to function, so, if you're really low and still having trouble finding foods to add to it, then I'd definitely think about supplements.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
  • Caharleygirl
    Caharleygirl Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor if you think your potassium is low. The only way to be sure is to have a blood test. You should not take potassium supplements unless it is low. Having extremely high or extremely low potassium can be life threatening. It is not something you should mess with. I don't think you could go too high with eating potassium rich foods but you could with supplements. Please be careful.
  • mcgav77
    mcgav77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanx every one, I do eat a varied diet especially fruit and think maybe the potassium level is ok.
    But i'm gonna take donna's advice and consult my gp, after all its free in the UK.
  • alicia4ksu
    alicia4ksu Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I take a potassium supplement, but it was because I was having a lot of cramping in my calves at night. Since I started taking it, I haven't had the leg cramps since. I would say, if you are not having issues with cramping, etc, it would not be necessary to take a supplement.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Potassium supplements are very dangerous. If you think you have a deficiency the doctor is the only one who should tell you what to do. You will need blood work to find this out. Don't take them on your own.
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    after all its free in the UK.
    Nothing is ever free.

You should check with the doctor though. I was worried about the same thing but my doctor said my potassium levels were fine.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think coconut water (not coconut milk) has loads of potassium -- a lot more than what's in one banana, for half the calories.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You should never take a potassium supplement unless directed by your physician, nurse practitioner or physician's assistant. Taking too much potassium can cause dangerous and life threatening effects including death if you take too much. The only way to determine your potassium level is with a blood test. There is enough potassium in meats, fruits and vegetables for most people. If you are concerned, make an appointment to be seen by your health care provider.

Pam
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I don't take a potassium supplement but it's unclear to me how I can hit the RDA without eating too many calories. I know it's in a lot of foods but in relatively small amounts. The daily goal in MFP is 3500mg but the USRDA is 4700mg. I'm averaging about 2000mg at 1800 calories per day. Webmd.com says: "There is no set upper limit for potassium. So it's not clear exactly how much potassium you can take safely. However, very high doses of potassium -- about 30 times the adequate intake -- can be deadly."
  • LONGBRU
    Options
    Alot of the foods on the database didnt have potassium listed when created. You may be getting more potassium than you realize.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Light salt is light because it is half potassium, half salt.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    First, it is important to consider the fact that potassium is not required to be listed on nutrition labels so just because MFP says that you are low does not mean you really are. Many many entries on here have nothing listed for potassium when the food actually does contain it.

I echo others who have said do not take supplements unless you are directed to. Potassium can have negative effects if you take too much.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I take a potassium supplement, but it was because I was having a lot of cramping in my calves at night. Since I started taking it, I haven't had the leg cramps since. I would say, if you are not having issues with cramping, etc, it would not be necessary to take a supplement.

I vote for this response. Gatorade and such have "electrolytes" to replace those flushed out when you dehydrate. Basically this means potassium. You probably don't need to supplement with it unless you have cramps or are taking diuretics.

"Too much potassium" would be hard to reach. If you need potassium and don't want to eat a lot of potassium foods to get it, remember a single 100mg tablet of potassium has about as much as a 1/4 of a banana. It would really be hard to get "too much" from the supplements.

Another way to painlessly bump up your K without calories is to use Morton's Lite Salt (a mix of Kcl and NaCl) or No Salt (which is KCl only) in place of regular salt for cooking and seasoning. No Salt is too metallic for my tongue, but I can't tell the difference with the lite stuff... tastes just like common table salt.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    First, it is important to consider the fact that potassium is not required to be listed on nutrition labels so just because MFP says that you are low does not mean you really are. Many many entries on here have nothing listed for potassium when the food actually does contain it.

I echo others who have said do not take supplements unless you are directed to. Potassium can have negative effects if you take too much.

This! There are many times that food items are user entered and potassium is not counted. Also, supplementation can be dangerous and should only be done under a doctors supervision.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a lot of foods in the MFP database don't list any potassium where they should. When I started paying attention to it I noticed I was entering a banana that had multiple user verifications that still showed zero potassium.