Medical Problems Caused Extra Weight Gain

Options
During the past summer I had a problem with my blood. My doctor kept me on high doses of steriods the whole summer. I gained an extra 15 pounds on top of the 15 pounds I had already been trying to loose. Instead of trying to loose 15 pounds I now have to loose 30 pounds, that was so discouraging.
Up til this point I have felt too tired and depressed to attack this problem. I think I might could do it now. I am so happy I have found this web site. I think reading the posting and using the tools on this site is going to be a great encouragment.

Replies

• Imogene
    Imogene Posts: 12
    Options
    During the past summer I had a problem with my blood. My doctor kept me on high doses of steriods the whole summer. I gained an extra 15 pounds on top of the 15 pounds I had already been trying to loose. Instead of trying to loose 15 pounds I now have to loose 30 pounds, that was so discouraging.
    Up til this point I have felt too tired and depressed to attack this problem. I think I might could do it now. I am so happy I have found this web site. I think reading the posting and using the tools on this site is going to be a great encouragment.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    ugh I hate steriods - Welcome you will do great this is a wonderful site
  • mddowlat
    Options
    I know what you mean with having medical complications. Main thing is, is that we are healthy enough to still be here. So let's make this life a life worth living and a body we can enjoy. Good luck!
  • cham1210
    Options
    I feel your pain! I was on prednisone for a few months after having my twins. Add steriod weight to postpartum weight...ugh! Welcome and you can do it!
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options

I think I might could do it now.

HAH! You're from the South, aren't you?! Sorry - I lived in Mississippi for 10 years, and that is where I heard "might could"... and yes, I say it, too.

But seriously. Good on you! And yes you CAN do it! I think it takes twice the guts to get up and tackle the weight after a health setback - it's tough emotionally as well as physically, but you sound like you can do it!!!
  • Imogene
    Options
    Thank you so much for the encouragement. I was wondering if anyone even reads these posts. And yes, I live in South Carolina. I moved here when I was 17. I grew up in the Southwestern Virginia mountians. So I have a horrible accent. I'm told that by people who live in SC!

Again I want to thank you for the encouragement. I really hated taking steriods all those months. I enjoyed eatting more than I ever did in my whole life! Food was soooo good, but I got such a habbit of munching all day. Ha! Something I got to get out of. I am fortunate to be healthy and I still have time to enjoy my life.

It is great to have friends that can relate.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    That's what led me here as well. 2 herniated discs, lots of steroid injections. I basically told the dr to shove that needle somewhere else cuz it wasn't working....and I was just blowing up like a puffer fish.
    So welcome aboard and good luck.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Welcome:flowerforyou: My health problems put some weight back on me also, and am just now well enough to get with the program. As for munching , it's okay as long as it's healthy vegetables in low calories, plus I like flavored rice cakes for an in between meal filler. We will make it, especially with all the support of the MFPal's on here.:heart:
  • Imogene
    Options
    You are a very brave woman. I hope you are still doing well after going off the steriods. I understand how hard it is to take on a challenge of dealing with health issues when you can't get in touch with your own emotions because of medications. I hate taking medications of any kind. I found that after I got off the steriods I was still feeling the effects months later. I think if we change out eatting and exercise attitudes a little at a time one day we will look back at a great big success! I am sure of it!
  • Imogene
    Options
    You know, I tried rice cakes. Yuck! They are so dry… My munchies were not healthy before, but now I have turned to healthy veggies, carrots and celery mostly, because they are convenient to take everywhere.
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I tried rice cakes. Yuck! They are so dry…

I told my trainer at the gym I was trying to lose weight, and he suggested (that among other things) I take a look at the Glycemic Index, and only eat foods that were low or medium on the list. It has helped a lot - I know I get too much sugar - and from suprising sources.

Here's the shocker... two of the HIGHEST foods listed on the glycemic index are what I would have called diet foods: canteloupe, and .... drumroll .... rice cakes.

There, now you also have a practical reason for passing those up! Bon apetit! PS - if you are interested, a Google of the glycemic index will work just fine. :bigsmile: