How do I improve my bench?

Options
Hey guys,
I am a 19 year old girl looking to make bench my strongest lift. Currently at 120 lbs for 3 sets of 12. Any tips on how I should be working it into my split to increase it as fast as possible?
Thanks!

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    You want a big bench, you bench, a lot. The caveat there is that form needs to be near perfect or you will just be setting yourself up for overuse injuries.

High rep sets have their place but won't do much to increase your strength - the only time I'm consistently above 6 reps is when I'm on an extensification training cycle, and they suck. The vast majority of my bench training is 4 or less reps a set.

Perfect your setup. Find a way to setup that gets your perfect amount of tightness and do it. Every single set. From warming up with the bar to your work sets.

Learn your groove. Film your sets, an watch it back right away. Play around and make little changes until it just feels right.

Know your partials and accessories. Don't just do something because you are told, know how your lift is feeling and what's going to get you past the current block. This is where my coaches are amazing, I'm a the point where I know the partials I'll be working with based on what I've reported to them in my updates.
  • ashleylinkewich1
    ashleylinkewich1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good call, thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate it. I will focus on the smaller reps, high weight. Also recently I have been getting into the routine of pushing through my heels during my bench which I believe helps (maybe its just in my mind)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You want a big bench, you bench, a lot. The caveat there is that form needs to be near perfect or you will just be setting yourself up for overuse injuries.

High rep sets have their place but won't do much to increase your strength - the only time I'm consistently above 6 reps is when I'm on an extensification training cycle, and they suck. The vast majority of my bench training is 4 or less reps a set.

Perfect your setup. Find a way to setup that gets your perfect amount of tightness and do it. Every single set. From warming up with the bar to your work sets.

Learn your groove. Film your sets, an watch it back right away. Play around and make little changes until it just feels right.

Know your partials and accessories. Don't just do something because you are told, know how your lift is feeling and what's going to get you past the current block. This is where my coaches are amazing, I'm a the point where I know the partials I'll be working with based on what I've reported to them in my updates.

Basically, all of this.

The more work you do and the more you perfect your technique, the better you will become. Add in some nutrition and just grind it out. Sets of 120 for 12 is already pretty damn good for a woman, have you thought about competing at all?
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Yep what @Iron_Miss_Canada and @DopeItUp said.
    Good call, thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate it. I will focus on the smaller reps, high weight. Also recently I have been getting into the routine of pushing through my heels during my bench which I believe helps (maybe its just in my mind)
    Good cues to follow. Be sure tuck those elbows in and engage your upper back and lats.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    This.
    Fewer reps per set. 12 is definitely out of the normal range for strength training. I'd recommend about 4-6 reps per set.
  • ashleylinkewich1
    ashleylinkewich1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Have never thought of powerlifting or anything because of 3 knee surgeries. But who knows in the future!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    consistency is the best way to increase lift every other day
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I bench 137.5 (PR) and to get there I just added 2.5lbs each week. Took me a bit but I got it.

I don't do a lot of reps..typically max of 5.
  • robbyf1971
    robbyf1971 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    How many days a week should I bench? I have done SL 5X5 and still follow it to some extent. I do 3X5 then 2 more sets at progressively lower weight.

I also do cable Xover (see inner chest incinerator on youtube) and push ups. I try to hit chest 2X week
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    Mix up your sets. Do however much you can do for 5 reps, then do 5 sets of it. Doing higher weight for lower numbers can help you break through a plateau.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Have never thought of powerlifting or anything because of 3 knee surgeries. But who knows in the future!

Bench only exists and is a part of most competitions. My last three comps have been bench only, and my next 2, possibly 2 out of three comps are bench only.