"Flu" symptoms after a heavy session

Options
Howdy folks and sorry if this is
a) a bit too random to understand and answer
or
b) so common you've all answered it twice

After a particularly heavy training session, I tend to wake up the next day feeling awful. I mean awful.
My throat hurts, I ache all over ( not muscular stiffness but actual flu style aches ), I feel weak, my nose alternates between being blocked and streaming.
I know - Sexy.

Has anyone else ever encountered this or could anyone suggest why this happens?
It's not specific to any particular type of training, time of year or location.
It just seems that if I have a particularly heavy day or 2, I really suffer.
Obviously everyone is different so to give you an idea of what I mean I recently had these 2 days

Monday
6am - 50 mins of strength training, pretty intense, working at about 80% of my 1 rep max.
Breakfast then into work.
1pm - 3 mile run. Took me 28 minutes.
Lunch at my desk after
7pm - Cardio Circuit style session for 40 mins ( for anyone who knows it, it was Insanity the Asylum - Vertical Plyo )
Dinner

Yesterday
6am - 45 mins strength training, again about 80%
8:30pm - 1hour of futsal. VERY fast pace

I woke up today with chills, shivers, sweating, aches, sore throat etc etc.
If his was a one off, I'd just put it down to a bug or a bad cold, but this seems to happen every time I really push myself, then I'm fine 2 days later and ready to train again.

I'm 5'8'', 217lb and definitely not a solid 217lb, but I'd say I'm fairly fit.
Do a 10k in about 56mins, usually score upwards of 90 shuttles on the bleep test etc. Not massive scores, but enough I think to illustrate that I'm not going from couch potato to hard training.

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    That could be kind of a lot of things, but pretty much they all come down to: you're doing too much. Scale back and build up your volume more slowly, and try to be more consistent overall.

Other things to try - eat something carby right after your workout (could be not enough fuel), eliminate grains or dairy (one at a time, could be a sensitivity to one of those), up your vitamin C and eat some yogurt.

But mostly that first thing.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    My training is usually very consistent, but every now and again things clash ( football and running etc ) and to be fair, sometimes I just get restless and want to push myself as hard as I can.
    I understand the tiredness that would come with that and even the aches I suppose, but the dodgy nose and thoat?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I understand the tiredness that would come with that and even the aches I suppose, but the dodgy nose and thoat?
    If you are not recovering properly your immune system is suppressed.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yep. You're doing wacky things with your hormones, which will mess with your immune system response - think of it like an allergic attack. Or you could actually be failing to fight off the normal yuck that we're surrounded by every day, because your body's overwhelmed with the stress you put on it.

It's not like it's going to kill you if it happens now and then, but you should try not to make a habit of it. Too much becomes counterproductive to fitness goals - you won't be able to build muscle or increase endurance.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    How many hours of sleep are you getting? How are you eating, are you fueling your doy for what you are demanding of it?

It really does sound to me like your body is demanding a rest. So make sure you get the sleep and nutrition you need.
  • jwschutz
    jwschutz Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I went out for a hike yesterday (2.3 miles each way, with 2100ft of elevation gain), the uphill took me about 1:10hrs, and the downhill about fifty minutes. I was pretty sore on the way down, but a day later I am feeling like I have the flu. Wrists, arms, calves, and thighs and quads are plastered. Head hurts and I feel lightheaded. It's obvious I overdid it, but why the flu symptoms.Not sure if i should be icing my legs. Any thought or help would be appreciated.
  • jlturner386
    jlturner386 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    OP did you ever find out what caused this? I was off my workout for 2 weeks, then went back and added 10lbs to my 80% 1 rep max, plus doubled my cardio time....went to bed with fever and chills, woke up feeling TERRIBLE i even dry heaved a bunch in the morning..this is day 2 and my throat and nose are still acting up plus the flu like achiness..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Any heavy intensity will compromise your immune system to an extend. Several days of it may put you in bed. Adequate rest between sessions and and other physical activity, along with proper nutrition will help resolve this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png