Buca di Distaster...

Options
So a friend of mine is having her birthday party at Buca Di Beppo tonight...an Italian place with HUGE portions. I am a huge carb addict and although I've been doing REALLY good in my first week and even survived pizza night with co-workers, I am looking at the menu and trying to find a healthy option I can eat seems overwhelming.

http://www.bucadibeppo.com/menu/printable-menu/

As a side note: I'm allergic to raw onions, but other than that I'm not TOO picky. Can anyone help me?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd get the Shrimp Florentine.........................and make sure I only eat a portion of it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You could figure out how much of the portion you'd like to eat, and ask for a box as soon as they serve you. Put half, or whatever you've decided, into the box to take home. Most importantly, have fun with your friends! :)
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    With it being a social event, and having your friends around you eating food you love, you should order whatever you want most. Ask for a take-out box when your food arrives so you can portion out most of it for later. Eat slowly, and maybe share a dessert with a friend. I usually ask someone to share with me and then only take a bite or two and leave the rest to them. That way I can get the taste/satisfaction without the extra calories.

I ate Buca Di Beppo once while in NYC; it's definitely worth indulging. :)
  • healthy_lovez
    healthy_lovez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If it were me, I'd get the Shrimp Florentine.........................and make sure I only eat a portion of it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That sounds yummy. And I have 850 calories left for the day (I already put in everything I have packed to eat at work). That whole serving is around 650 and even on a bad day I usually don't eat the whole serving, but if I did it wouldn't be the end of the world. Today was my first weigh-in day and I was down over 4lbs and I just don't want to go in there thinking "go ahead, you deserve it" and ruin the hard work I've done in my first week.

Thank you ALL for the input. :smile:
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I love the Veal Saltimbocca. It's not that big of a dish and according to the MFP database, 186 calories per 5 oz. I'd estimate four 5 oz servings.

There is a chicken option if you have an issue with veal.

Or salad, or go ahead and as others suggest pack the doggie bag before you eat.
  • mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/buca-di-beppo

Find something that fits in your calorie goal for the day and have fun with your friends.
  • healthy_lovez
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/buca-di-beppo

Find something that fits in your calorie goal for the day and have fun with your friends.

Thank you so much!! :smile: You guys rock! You have given me options and helped me not be so overwhelmed!
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I would go with the chicken limone or chicken/veal marsala, myself. Assume a good tablespoon of butter, and another tablespoon of flour in the sauce. Probably two to four tablespoons of Marsala wine in the Marsala sauce. Mushrooms, lemon and capers listed on the menu wouldn't add many calories at all. Use the "size of your palm" estimate for meat weight (when they say that, btw, they mean length, width, AND height of your palm).

I notice the menu says that all the dishes are meant to serve 2-4 people. Nice of them to warn you :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I never order pasta from a restaurant because it's just so cheap and I don't really like it anyway. I usually get some kind of entree that is supposed to have pasta and swap it for a big plate of veg, then I eat that with the sauce.

So, I'd probably order the marsala or something along those lines. Yum, have fun!
  • healthy_lovez
    Options
    Yea the portions are HUGE. Even a small is a good two meals. The small portion of the Shrimp Florentine is 650 calories for 11oz.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I literally, LOLed at your title...But wow, you are not kidding, huh?
    The chicken inferno sounds like it wouldn't be that bad calorie-wise....
  • healthy_lovez
    Options
    I literally, LOLed at your title...But wow, you are not kidding, huh?
    The chicken inferno sounds like it wouldn't be that bad calorie-wise....

Unfortunately, that's like the only item on the menu I can't find the NI for. It must be a new dish. :expressionless:
    Glad the title made you giggle LOL!
  • healthy_lovez
    Options
    There is no way that "small" portion is 660 calories. It says it should be "11 oz" but that bowl had to weigh a pound or two. So I had a pasta spoon full, had a little too much fried calamari, and a TON of Diet Pepsi after two weeks with no caffeine. So I'll be up all night and crash tomorrow :confounded:
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    looking at the menu, and being Italian, I suggest to go for the pizza, the menu looks amazing but I'm afraid pasta for example will have tons of butter/cream

at least with the pizza you can estimate cals pretty easilly and it should not have too many "secret tasty extras"
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    There is no way that "small" portion is 660 calories. It says it should be "11 oz" but that bowl had to weigh a pound or two. So I had a pasta spoon full, had a little too much fried calamari, and a TON of Diet Pepsi after two weeks with no caffeine. So I'll be up all night and crash tomorrow :confounded:

It's family style; a small is supposed to serve 2-3 people, and a large 4-5.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    I love the Veal Saltimbocca.

That's what I would have as it sounds delicious...