At what point will the weight loss slow down

Options
I'm loosing steadily about 2 lbs a week. At what point does it slow down ?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That depends on how much you have to lose, your caloric deficit, etc. Usually you lose more the first few weeks (2-3, maybe 4) because you have a "whoosh" of water weight loss. Depending on how heavy you are at the start, the whoosh can be sizable (3, 4, 5+ pounds) but then it settles down after those first few weeks.
  • shadow4478
    shadow4478 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm well past the whoosh. I started at 238 now 216ish.
    Current goal is 200 but it will go down to 180 lbs after I reach the 200lbs mark
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some people say they've lost exactly what the math says they'll lose and they do that every week.

Some people, like me, it's slows until it just stops. We plateau.

Others lose fine and then suddenly plateau.

There are those who, since they didn't plateau, believe that nobody plateaus. Weight loss experts believe in the plateaus and people like me, who've been through them, believe in them.

Some experts suggest dieting for six months, then taking six months off and continuing that cycle until you're done. I think they may have a point. But since some people never slow or plateau, why mess up a good thing? Keep going while you lose, I think.

Slowing down isn't a guaranteed fate. But it really does happen sometimes. I hope it doesn't happen to you. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    As one approaches their goal, weight loss tends to slow. Usually within 10lbs is the average.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I lost about 2 lbs/week for the first 16 weeks. (15 kg = 33 lbs in 16 weeks)

That's when I hit my first goal and decided to take a break for about a month to reassess.

When I started again to drop to a new goal, I raised my calorie maximum a little bit and slowed my loss to about 1.4 lb/week. (9 kg = 20 lbs in the last 14 weeks).

I'm not sure what my final goal will be, but probably safe to say I'm within about 3 kg of it.

Not saying that will happen with everyone, but that's what has happened with me. :)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    At whatever point you're not able to sustain a 1,000 cal per day deficit on average.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    For me it was the last 10 lbs. The hardest part was going from 130 to 125, with 125 to 120 slightly easier.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    The speed at which you lose or gain fat will be directly related to the size of calorie deficit or surplus you create.
    3500 calories is always going to equal 1 pound of fat.

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    At whatever point you're not able to sustain a 1,000 cal per day deficit on average.

This. I found that I could lose 2 pounds per week all the way down to 200. Then about 1.5 pounds per week below that probably down to about 170. And as you get lighter your deficit gets smaller and smaller so eventually you're at a half pound per week. 3500 is a pound. Add up your deficit for the total week and that is how much weight you should lose.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    As my bmr dropped my exercise increased so I still lose.
  • absoluttalent
    absoluttalent Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am similar, male 5'10" started at 230, first goal of 180. My only slow downs occurred during bad weekends when I drank a bit too much. But I got to a point where I could not maintain a 2lb/wk deficit on lower activity settings without being overly hungry. So I had to change it up a bit. I'm at 187 and having no problem with slowdown. I expect it to maybe happen when I hit 170s or so
  • shadow4478
    shadow4478 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am similar, male 5'10" started at 230, first goal of 180. My only slow downs occurred during bad weekends when I drank a bit too much. But I got to a point where I could not maintain a 2lb/wk deficit on lower activity settings without being overly hungry. So I had to change it up a bit. I'm at 187 and having no problem with slowdown. I expect it to maybe happen when I hit 170s or so

That's awesome...
    do you build any muscle or just try to maintain what you have..