Correct amount of calories - help please.

Hi,

I am 15 st 2lb and 5 ft 1. I have very sedentary job and currently am not exercising because of my high starting weight have put down that I want to lose 2lb a week. My daily allowance has come back as 1200 from the details I put in on MFP. Does this sound right?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hi,

I am 15 st 2lb and 5 ft 1. I have very sedentary job and currently am not exercising because of my high starting weight have put down that I want to lose 2lb a week. My daily allowance has come back as 1200 from the details I put in on MFP. Does this sound right?

1200 is MFPs lowest default minimum. It's possible that is a correct number for you, or it's possible your weekly goal is a little aggressive.

Keep in mind that 1200 is before any exercise, you gain additional calories when you log workouts.

2 pounds a week is appropriate for 75+ pounds to lose. You might dial it back to 1.5 pounds a week and see if that number is better for you.

The most important thing is that the calorie goal be something that you can live with for awhile. If 1200 is going to leave you ravenous and cranky, then increase it to help maintain consistency.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Absolutely not the right amount of calories - but need more info - how old are you? use this calculator to figure out your calorie needs: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ - don't wait to start exercising - walk 15 minutes a day - then build that up to 30 minutes over time.
  • beckyboo222
    beckyboo222 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi I am 40. I will look at the link thanks!
  • TeaBea
    edited October 2015
    Absolutely not the right amount of calories - but need more info - how old are you? use this calculator to figure out your calorie needs: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ - don't wait to start exercising - walk 15 minutes a day - then build that up to 30 minutes over time.

Keep in mind this calculator INCLUDES exercise.

Apples & oranges. If your workouts are consistent, use Scoobys & don't log workouts in MFP

If your workouts are sporadic, or you just need some incentive use MFP & log workouts. Then eat some of these calories + 1200.

Both calculators will give similar numbers (with similar inputs).
  • beckyboo222
    To lose 1lb a week the link says I should have 1667 calories ..wonder how many it would be for 2lb a week loss?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    I think 1200 is low for most people. If you're just starting out, why not start with something like 1600 calories and see how it works and how you feel. If you feel great and are pretty satisfied with your progress, stay there (you need to give it a month to really see what it's doing).

I think it's really hard to go from eating whatever we tend to eat before we decide to make a change, to 1200 calories with nothing in between. Eating enough fiber and protein can help, but it's still a big change. That's why I like to start with a more moderate deficit, and then adjust as necessary.

On a side note, you could start doing some mild exercise even at your starting weight. Walking and swimming (or just walking in the water) are generally pretty good starting places. Even just a short five or ten minute walk, if that's all you can do, can give you a big benefit for overall health, and you can work up to more.

Best of luck!
  • beckyboo222
    Thank you. That is what I was thinking that such a big change was likely to be less sustainable and that I need to take it gradually. Yes I am planning on starting some walking at weekends to begin with...thanks for your help! I was just worried that to lose any weight it would have to be a very very low daily calorie allowance.

Onwards and upwards!
  • TeaBea
    edited October 2015
    To lose 1lb a week the link says I should have 1667 calories ..wonder how many it would be for 2lb a week loss?

1667 less another 500 calories........just under 1,200

1,000 x 7 = 7,000 / 2 = 3,500 (2 pounds a week)

500 x 7 = 3,500 (or 1 pound a week)

1.5 pounds a week would be in the middle. 1667 less another 250 = 1,417

2 pounds is a little too aggressive for you (sounds like)
  • beckyboo222
    Thank you for the help. Yes 2lb a week
    at under 1200 calories would make me miserable. Better to be realistic and plan what is livable. Thanks again.
    TeaBea wrote: »

1667 less another 500 calories........just under 1,200

1,000 x 7 = 7,000 / 2 = 3,500 (2 pounds a week)

500 x 7 = 3,500 (or 1 pound a week)

1.5 pounds a week would be in the middle. 1667 less another 250 = 1,417

2 pounds is a little too aggressive for you (sounds like)

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    First, you can do a little exercise if the doctor says it's okay. Go for a walk. If your knees hurt, swim. It doesn't have to be a long one. You can do five or ten minutes, but start somewhere. You can build on that!

If the MFP is giving you 1200 calories and you want to eat more, drop your goal. Aim for 1.5 or 1 pound a week instead of two. But remember that any exercise you do will get you more calories. :)

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Sounds like a smaller deficit will work better for you in the long term. Well done on making a good decision.
    Just start logging what you eat now to begin with, then over a few weeks gradually drop down to your weight loss calorie goal. It is much easier mentally and physically doing it slowly.

If and when you decide to exercise aqua fit would be good it gives a good cardio work out and a little resistance work as you are moving against the water. It is also low impact, your body will thank you for that.

Cheers, h.
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    I am 5 feet tall and i usually try to eat an average of 1350 per day. It's been sustainable long term and I feel like I have enough food. For me that equals between a half a pound and a pound per week.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Keep in mind too, that as you lose weight you need to decrease your calorie intake periodically to continue to lose weight until you get to your goal weight. So, to start with more calories and work down to 1200 is best. I'd start with the most calories you can (as long as you are losing weight) - remember, there is no deadline, take your time and make healthy adjustments that you can sustain over time - the goal is more than just weight loss, it is improved health! Good luck!!