Short, daily, lifting program

Options
Hey all, wife and I did stronglifts 5x5 from January until June, it went pretty well but summer came and we took a break. Now in the fall, we've had some changes in our schedule and with our kids, which have made it very difficult to fit in a 90 minute lifting session, so we've had a very hard time getting back into a routine with it. What I was wondering is, could someone suggest a lifting routine which could be performed every day, but that would only take 30 minutes or so? We'd want to do it out of our home, as we did before, we have a power cage with barbells and dip bars, as well as dumbbells up to 25lbs. If we could fit it into a smaller block of time, I think it could be much easier to get it incorporated into our regular daily schedule. Any ideas? Thanks.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I would suggest 5/3/1. Read the book(s)--at least the first one but the second too if possible.

You could do it 4 days a week with minimal assistance lifts and fit it into your 30 minutes pretty easily. (This assumes you're not counting your warm up/stretching in the 30 minutes.)

You can also look at various templates for it on this site. But I still suggest getting the book(s) so you understand the principles behind it.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Could always just cut the working weight sets down from 5x5 to 3x5 or 1x5, depending on time constraints (so you're doing ramped sets, like in Madcow). 30 minutes would be pushing it, 'tho. Might have to break it up so you're only doing one or two exercises a day.
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    super sets! pick a body part and do a couple super sets and you're done. my schedule: m-shoulders and arms t-plyo and legs w-hiit cardio/rest th-back f-chest and shoulders s-hiit cardio su-rest
  • jeromeloresco05
    jeromeloresco05 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    p90x3 since it has mass/lean/classic schedule perfect fit for both of you.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Looking into 5/3/1 for now. I think it will fit well since we're already familiar with the basic lifts from when we did 5x5. Thanks all.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Looking into 5/3/1 for now. I think it will fit well since we're already familiar with the basic lifts from when we did 5x5. Thanks all.

I did 5x5 for 9 months then went to 3x5...after the summer I moved to 5/3/1...with accessory work it's about 30mins...without accessory work it's 10-15...

Great program and there are lots of apps to download to help you.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I did 5x5 for 9 months then went to 3x5...after the summer I moved to 5/3/1...with accessory work it's about 30mins...without accessory work it's 10-15...

Great program and there are lots of apps to download to help you.

Awesome thanks. My wife is really hoping she can find a good app for it. She really liked how the 5x5 app told her what to do. :smile: