Weight loss with arthritis

Options
I have arthritis and my challenges witg weight loss have been long lived.
Every time i try i start succeeding then get pulled back by a gym injury because some trainer didnt know how to help me train.
Now i have a tear in of my knee menisci and tge doctor advised me to lose weight so i dont lose my knee. Excercise is out of the question at least now. So i am dieting again. Today is my first day

Replies

• Makingachangeforlife
    Options
    You are not alone. I have been battling osteoarthritis in my knees for years. If a pool is available, that is the best thing to do rehab. However you can exercise without bearing weight on your knees. Upper body exercises will burn a lot of calories while your knee is healing. Buy a really good knee brace and keep moving..there is a lot of information available on knees.
  • memere101
    memere101 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Makingachangeforlife
    Pool exercise is best, warm water is definitely better. Upper body exercises can even be done sitting down and there are some exercises you can do that won't put any strain on your knees. Look for some ideas on YouTube and then go slowly. I have pretty bad arthritis in my knees, hips, neck, etc. I still exercise almost daily. It really helps. Don't wait until it's too late. Hugs :heart:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    when given the all clear, i third the pool exercise. you can also do chair exercises-there are videos online for chair yoga.
    I have an autoimmune that affects my joints and yoga has saved me. there are days that I can barely drag myself to class but then i get relief at the end of class. chlorine pools make my skin burn(autoimmune crud).
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I too have an autoimmune condition and I'm not very good at listening to my body... I like to push as hard as I can, (and harder) which isn't a good idea, because then I crash and burn! However, it is possible.... I would say find out what exercises you can do, find a trainer who actually knows (I have used a physio in the past) and keep going... I definitely feel a lot better when I am thinner then I am now... as in, the less pressure on the knees, the better you will feel
  • drtag2013
    drtag2013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all the support. It feels better to know im not alone
  • brockshirley1980
    brockshirley1980 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also agree with the pool, but I have two bad knees from sports injury like said before upper body workouts will help, but I ride the stationary bike it's not bad on the knees and everytime I rehabbed a knee enjury it's part of what they had me do. Good luck take it slow but there is no excuse to get some sort of workout in.