Measuring/Weighing Food Help

Options
I've always been aware of general portions when tracking my foods but not to the point of actually weighing or measuring them out. I know this is a pretty big deal as far as accuracy goes.

Any suggestions on how to make this easier? For example, things that are not super convenient to measure like peanut butter or cream cheese. I was using cream cheese this morning thinking I would have to put it in a measuring spoon then scrap it out and then use it. Seems like there has to be an easier way. Is weighing easier for stuff like that?

Anyway, any help is appreciated. :)

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Just put the jar of peanut butter on the scale, tare, and the negative number will be the amount you used.
    For cream cheese I typically put the item I'm spreading on the scale, tare, then put the cream cheese on until it's the number of grams I want. For recipes, I just use a plate, tare, then add however many oz or grams.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Put your container on a scale. Press the tare button. Use what you need. Let's say cream cheese... scoop out a spoon. Your scale should say like -15. So, your use would be 15 grams. Easy and a lot less dishes to clean than using a bunch of measuring spoons.

If you don't have a scale, get one ASAP. I got mine for $6 on ebay.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have these small prep bowls and I put them on the scale, zero it out, and then put however much I want to use in the bowl.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that helps. I need to get a newer scale. Mine isn't digital and it's pretty old school.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Put your container on a scale. Press the tare button. Use what you need. Let's say cream cheese... scoop out a spoon. Your scale should say like -15. So, your use would be 15 grams. Easy and a lot less dishes to clean than using a bunch of measuring spoons.

If you don't have a scale, get one ASAP. I got mine for $6 on ebay.

Neat trick! Thanks for sharing!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I've always been aware of general portions when tracking my foods but not to the point of actually weighing or measuring them out. I know this is a pretty big deal as far as accuracy goes.

Any suggestions on how to make this easier? For example, things that are not super convenient to measure like peanut butter or cream cheese. I was using cream cheese this morning thinking I would have to put it in a measuring spoon then scrap it out and then use it. Seems like there has to be an easier way. Is weighing easier for stuff like that?

Anyway, any help is appreciated. :)

Thanks for asking this question :smile: I was thinking of the same thing as I was trying to measure of 1 tbsp of peanut butter for my smoothie last morning.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Just put the jar of peanut butter on the scale, tare, and the negative number will be the amount you used.
    For cream cheese I typically put the item I'm spreading on the scale, tare, then put the cream cheese on until it's the number of grams I want. For recipes, I just use a plate, tare, then add however many oz or grams.

This is genius!
  • izerop
    izerop Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to weighing my food... people give me funny looks weighing my coffee mug full of coffee, zeroing it out and adding cream :)

Make sure you weigh all your high calorie foods! I usually put a plate down on my scale, zero it out, add food item 1, zero it out, add food item 2... etc. I like the negative weight approach @ValerieMartini2Olives
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love that. I never thought about subtracting what you take out from the whole thing. Genius! Thanks for that tip everyone!