Coffee & Exercise?

Options
Do anybody have a problem with drinking coffee & exercising? I do, if i get up in the mornings and have a couple cups of coffee then i have messed up my morning for working out, because after i get full on coffee, then i can't exercise. I have to workout in the mornings, but i have to choose exercise or coffee, i can't have both.

Replies

• Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    i am down to one cup! how many are you drinking?
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cup about an hour before I head to the gym.
  • jeh1966
    jeh1966 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I usually wake about 4:15am... have some coffee, then around 5am I eat a banana (for energy) and work out at 6am.. I attend a "bootcamp" class every morning. When I get home at 7:15am is when I eat my post workout meal....

I HAVE to have that coffee, LOL! Good Luck... Can you drink it after you workout?
  • texastae1010
    texastae1010 Posts: 165
    Options
    Ok I am not sure why you can't have both meaning....I can't drink coffee and then jump right up and exercise it hurts my tummy...I either then have to eat a little bit then wait for that to digest or my tummy turns so badly....so what I do is I get up exercise...brew my coffee while I am in the shower so that way I can have both....if you are getting to the gym and then off to work I have also stopped by starbucks or get my coffee at the office
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Do you have to consume multiple cups? Why not try one cup before exercising? That way you've still got your caffiene fix, and you won't be feeling so full when you workout.
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    I have my coffee about an hour after I exercie....makes me look forward to it a bit more, lol! :drinker:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    it doesnt stop me exercising. I wonder why it does that to you. its often recommended as a pre-workout kick.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a cup of tea when I get home from work and before heading to the gym- a bit of caffeine is supposed to be benaficial before exercise apparently?

I don't know about things like lattes and cappuccinos right before you go to the gym tho!
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Try cutting back on the cups you drink, or moving to a milk based coffee like a cappa or latte as they are not as harsh on your stomach.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to sound facetious - but maybe just drink a little less so you're not as full? :D
  • jpiper1921
    jpiper1921 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I drink 3 cups, eat breakfast and then pop on the treadmill. I luv my coffee and I guess looking at these posts, I hadn't realized it would cause folks problems. I have the same question... what reaction to coffee are you having? Trying to understand...
  • joegray
    joegray Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    espresso before a workout is a great energy boost
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    Same question at others - is it that you don't have time for both or it makes you feel bad when you exercise?

I love to have coffee before the gym, when I don't, I feel like I can't workout as hard.

If I'm working out in the morning I get up early enough to drink at least a cup and then sometimes will drink more when I get back or stop somewhere on my way to work if I can't come back home.

If I work out at night I usually grab an iced coffee before the gym
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Well the problem is when i get up and sit in front of the computer and have a couple cups of coffee, i don't have time for both through the weekdays because i have to leave for work at 7 am. Also 2 or 3 cups of coffee fills me up for awhile. which leaves me too full for exercise, and on the weekends, i drink 3 or 4 cups of coffee, then am just too full and lazy to exercise then. If i don't get my exercise in the morning, early then its hard to exercise. I know what i need to do. I need to cut back on the coffee or cut it out all together so i can get up in the mornings and exercise. I would like to cut back on the splenda too that i put in my coffee.
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I drink about the same as you do in the morning. What I usually do if I'm working out is drink 1 cup, go for my run and then when I get back I'll get ready and continue drinking my coffee while I get ready or throw it in a to go coffee cup and take it with me. I don't need to drink it all before I do my exercise as long as I can get 1 cup in, I'm good!
  • jpiper1921
    jpiper1921 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    the solution seems so simple, just drink 1 cup... if you drink more why would being full be a problem? Does it hurt your belly? I risk being rude but I don't get it.
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I get up at 0400, exercise from about 0430 - 0600, then come home and have coffee with my breakfast.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Do you want to exercise?
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Simple soloution....if you want it all....the coffee/computer time AND exercise...get up half an hour earlier. Get up, have a cup standing up and then go exercise. Save your second/third cups and computer time for after the exercise as your reward.