Low carb, low fat, low calories. Help!

Options
I was on Ideal Protien but got off of it due to he fact I had very little calories. Somedays I only had 750 due to the fact, my Protien choices were such lean choices. I would like to come up with some ideas of how much carbs and Protien and fat everyone out there is hovering around so i can tweak this diet to work for me. I'm slowly working my way up to around 1000 to 1100 calories. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why have you chosen such a low calorie goal?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    time4me26 wrote: »
    I was on Ideal Protien but got off of it due to he fact I had very little calories. Somedays I only had 750 due to the fact, my Protien choices were such lean choices. I would like to come up with some ideas of how much carbs and Protien and fat everyone out there is hovering around so i can tweak this diet to work for me. I'm slowly working my way up to around 1000 to 1100 calories. Any help would be appreciated!

Holy mother of unhealthy

Post your stats please ..age, height, weight, activity without exercise, goal weight loss per week
  • GirlJudeCr001
    GirlJudeCr001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to look at other peoples food diarys to get an idea of how they split their macros. 750 calories is way too low so good luck working up to a healthier number.
  • ACau88
    ACau88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Working your way up to 1000? Are you only eating meat? There are carbs in just about everything but first things first...eat more.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Minimum calories for a female to get adequate nutrition is 1200

My protein is set at 0.64g per lb bodyweight and fat at 0.35g per lb bodyweight ..THESE are MINIMUMS

My carbs fall wherever they will ..generally around 50% of my diet ....but it's up to you if you choose low carb or not...there is no magic in it in terms of weight loss! just a chosen path

Eat a wide range of colours of vegetables..stick to 80% nutritious healthy in general. don't make any food a bad food

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I don't have your stats.....but here's an example

You're 51
    Let's assume sedentary
    Let's assume 5'5".....155 pounds

With 20 pounds to lose your weekly goal should be 1/2 pound a week to no more than 1 pound a week.

If your stats reflect the numbers above.....your TDEE is 1589 (maintenance) without any added exercise.....if you took 500 away (1 pound a week) you are at 1,089 BUT this number is under 1,200. It's very difficult to get adequate nutrition for under 1200.

If you are taller, you can eat more than 1,200.....if you exercise (or are active), you can eat more than 1,200....if you want to lose fat & keep lean muscle.....you should eat at least 1,200 calories.

If you are petite, if you do zero exercise, if you don't care about existing lean muscle....you could eat less but then make your food choices very carefully.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • time4me26
    time4me26 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

You're 51
    Let's assume sedentary

With 20 pounds to lose your weekly goal should be 1/2 pound a week to no more than 1 pound a week.

If your stats reflect the numbers above.....your TDEE is 1589 (maintenance) without any added exercise.....if you took 500 away (1 pound a week) you are at 1,089 BUT this number is under 1,200. It's very difficult to get adequate nutrition for under 1200.

If you are taller, you can eat more than 1,200.....if you exercise (or are active), you can eat more than 1,200....if you want to lose fat & keep lean muscle.....you should eat at least 1,200 calories.

If you are petite, if you do zero exercise, if you don't care about existing lean muscle....you could eat less but then make your food choices very carefully.

TeaBea wrote: »

You're 51
    Let's assume sedentary

• time4me26
    Options
    Back 2 years ago I started my weight loss journey. I was dieting and working out like a crazy girl and I lost 70lbs. I was doing great and started going out more! This past spring and summer, approx 20 lb went back on due to my social drinking, then appetizers and chasing the high fat food and carbs to feel better! Thank goodness I only drank and ate really badly on the weekend! Friday Saturday and Sunday... But even getting back on program,by Monday, wasn't enough to keep the dreaded pounds at bay.

As of right now my 20 lb is off and I am working my way up on my calories! I am at 165lb and I am 5'6". I want to lose 1-2 lbs a week. I work out 5 days a week! 2x a week with a personal trainer (weight) and 3 times a week I go to a spin class at my gym. I also walk on the days I don't go to the gym or trainer. I know that diet was bad for me because now I'm having a hard time trying to get up to my necessary daily calories. Part of my issue is being afraid that I am going to gain my weight back but I am so active.. I really want to make the right food choices now! . My problem now is I am just not hungry. I know if I do more cardio I will feel more hungry but because of my low calories, I really can't do more. Just too wiped out... I am going to incorporate more fruit in my diet. Right now the only carbs I get are from my lean Protien sources and my vegetables... Just was interested in what people who were lower carbs were eating so that I can possible get more energy calories from them! I am happy to report that I hover around 900-1000 calories this past week and I am feeling better, I just want to get to the 1200 per day so I don't mess up my metabolism. Thanks for any help you can throw my way!!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The problem is you have so many ...no...no...no's on your list that all you have left is protein. And not enough of that either. You have to learn to eat sometime.

I suggest you target 1,200 calories daily, more if you earn exercise back. Put all foods back on the table. Weigh it so you stay on target.

To recover your appetite, eat every few hours, starting with first thing in the morning. Don't drink your calories unless you get to the end of the day and you need to boost your calories for the day.

Once you are getting 1,200 calories plus daily, add 100 calories for a couple weeks at a time until you find your sweet spot.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Back 2 years ago I started my weight loss journey. I was dieting and working out like a crazy girl and I lost 70lbs. I was doing great and started going out more! This past spring and summer, approx 20 lb went back on due to my social drinking, then appetizers and chasing the high fat food and carbs to feel better! Thank goodness I only drank and ate really badly on the weekend! Friday Saturday and Sunday... But even getting back on program,by Monday, wasn't enough to keep the dreaded pounds at bay.

As of right now my 20 lb is off and I am working my way up on my calories! I am at 165lb and I am 5'6". I want to lose 1-2 lbs a week. I work out 5 days a week! 2x a week with a personal trainer (weight) and 3 times a week I go to a spin class at my gym. I also walk on the days I don't go to the gym or trainer. I know that diet was bad for me because now I'm having a hard time trying to get up to my necessary daily calories. Part of my issue is being afraid that I am going to gain my weight back but I am so active.. I really want to make the right food choices now! . My problem now is I am just not hungry. I know if I do more cardio I will feel more hungry but because of my low calories, I really can't do more. Just too wiped out... I am going to incorporate more fruit in my diet. Right now the only carbs I get are from my lean Protien sources and my vegetables... Just was interested in what people who were lower carbs were eating so that I can possible get more energy calories from them! I am happy to report that I hover around 900-1000 calories this past week and I am feeling better, I just want to get to the 1200 per day so I don't mess up my metabolism. Thanks for any help you can throw my way!!!

Even if you hit 1200 calories, there is a good chance you will increase muscle loss. As active as you are, you will probably need more like 1500-1700 calories. And with very little to lose, it should be .5 to 1 lb per week loss. I would personally work on fat loss (higher protein, moderate deficit and full body workouts).

You are wiped out because you are starving your body. You can do low carb if you find it easier to stay within a calorie range, but by no means, is it required to lose weight or get fit. Honestly, there are no good carbs or bad carbs... some are "healthier" options (fruits and veggies have more nutrients) but you can still incorporate all foods in your diet and be healthy. Personally, I would increase your calories up to 1500 to see how that does. Probably would do that by adding 200 calories every other week.

Also, what do you do with the trainer? And do you own a food scale?
  • time4me26
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Minimum calories for a female to get adequate nutrition is 1200

My protein is set at 0.64g per lb bodyweight and fat at 0.35g per lb bodyweight ..THESE are MINIMUMS

My carbs fall wherever they will ..generally around 50% of my diet ....but it's up to you if you choose low carb or not...there is no magic in it in terms of weight loss! just a chosen path

Eat a wide range of colours of vegetables..stick to 80% nutritious healthy in general. don't make any food a bad food

Thank you! I am going to try to use those guidelines. I am very disciplined when I want to be so I'm going to quit worrying about the carbs at this point. My only focus will be on a healthy 1200 cal program. Thank you!!
  • zv1981
    zv1981 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to keep at 700kcal less than 50g carbs !
  • time4me26
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Even if you hit 1200 calories, there is a good chance you will increase muscle loss. As active as you are, you will probably need more like 1500-1700 calories. And with very little to lose, it should be .5 to 1 lb per week loss. I would personally work on fat loss (higher protein, moderate deficit and full body workouts).

You are wiped out because you are starving your body. You can do low carb if you find it easier to stay within a calorie range, but by no means, is it required to lose weight or get fit. Honestly, there are no good carbs or bad carbs... some are "healthier" options (fruits and veggies have more nutrients) but you can still incorporate all foods in your diet and be healthy. Personally, I would increase your calories up to 1500 to see how that does. Probably would do that by adding 200 calories every other week.

Also, what do you do with the trainer? And do you own a food scale?

• time4me26
    Options
    I do full body weights and alittle bit of cardio as far as slam balls, ropes etc. i was definitely mis informed as far as the low carbs. It really is what has messed me up. I'm going to focus on my calories and not worry about the carb number any more! I was scared that I would gain my weight back but I'm doing fine with more food and my workouts are a lot better! Thank you for your input! I really appreciate it!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I do full body weights and alittle bit of cardio as far as slam balls, ropes etc. i was definitely mis informed as far as the low carbs. It really is what has messed me up. I'm going to focus on my calories and not worry about the carb number any more! I was scared that I would gain my weight back but I'm doing fine with more food and my workouts are a lot better! Thank you for your input! I really appreciate it!

Keep in mind that if you increase carbs, and subsequently calories up a few hundred calories, you will probably gain some weight, but that will be from glycogen/water weight and increase food bile in your GI track. Don't freak out, it's normal and it will adjust shortly after.

And seriously, an active body will need more than 1200 calories, outside of a medical issue such as hypothyroidism. The main issue, long term, with huge deficits is not only muscle loss (from inadequate nutrition) but increase adaptive thermogenesis (metabolic slowdown) from the associated muscle loss. This is one reason we suggest slightly slower rates. Also, the increase in calories (especially carbs) should help your lifting routines; this is mainly because in anaerobic environments, glycogen is the main fuel source.
  • jcarter2569
    jcarter2569 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It is not that "carbs" in and of themselves are bad. It is the processed, simple carbs/sugars that cause blood sugar spikes that you need to watch out for. Ever had a 'food coma' before, after consuming a large, simple carb meal like white pasta? That feeling seems to indicate a blood sugar spike, which is then met with an insulin release, which in turn, signals the body to take the excess glucose and (you guessed it) store it as fat. Where else is it going to go?
    Watch the documentary Fed Up, with Katie Couric. It is really eye opening.
  • psuLemon
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It is not that "carbs" in and of themselves are bad. It is the processed, simple carbs/sugars that cause blood sugar spikes that you need to watch out for. Ever had a 'food coma' before, after consuming a large, simple carb meal like white pasta? That feeling seems to indicate a blood sugar spike, which is then met with an insulin release, which in turn, signals the body to take the excess glucose and (you guessed it) store it as fat. Where else is it going to go?
    Watch the documentary Fed Up, with Katie Couric. It is really eye opening.

You obviously never have been to a Korean BBQ. You want to talk food coma, check that place out. I eat like a horse but after all that meat, I don't eat for the entire day.

Also, outside of having a medical condition (insulin issues particularly), ones body has an ability to regulate blood sugars fairly easy. And only at a point of a calorie surplus, will the body store additional body fat. In fact, a body struggles to store carbs as fat due to de nove lipogenesis. But what can occur, is the increase in insulin, will cause fat to be stored as body fat. But again, that can ONLY occur in a calorie surplus.

And the Fed Up documentary is a joke that is founded on cherry picked science to prove a point.

ps - this doesn't mean I am suggesting a diet high in ultra processed foods... I am suggesting it's not as important as calories overall. In fact, I would suggest focuing on calories, then protein and then the rest. I generally aim to get 80 to 90% of my calories from nutrient dense foods and then the rest can be treats if possible
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Right now the only carbs I get are from my lean Protien sources and my vegetables... Just was interested in what people who were lower carbs were eating so that I can possible get more energy calories from them! I am happy to report that I hover around 900-1000 calories this past week and I am feeling better, I just want to get to the 1200 per day so I don't mess up my metabolism. Thanks for any help you can throw my way!!!

More fruit is good, IMO.

I'm not low carb, and I can't tell if you are wanting to do low carb but just have some idea that carbs are bad (they aren't, especially when you are exercising).

However, if you do want to do low carb, check out one of the low carb groups. What you will see is that people don't generally do both low carb and low fat -- that's not healthy, since you need one or the other for energy.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    zv1981 wrote: »
    I'm trying to keep at 700kcal less than 50g carbs !

Why, there is no reason to eat under 1200 calories, and carbs are not bad. For most even 1200 cals is too low, please set your goal to lose 1 lb/week and eat back your exercise calories.