Night time cravings, ideas?

Options
Looking for some helping ideas, I hit my calories and macros throughout the day and having trouble falling asleep with the hunger and cravings and end up usually going way over my calories at the end of day.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating more lightly during the day and saving more calories for the evening?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I choose to eat 2-300 calorie during the day and then the rest of my calories at dinner after i hit the gym.

That way i'm full, can eat a huge satisfying meal, and i'm never going to bed hungry.
  • bshaw86
    bshaw86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat enough calories before my workout my energy And strength seem to suffer a lot,Ya I have done intermittent fasting which saw great results, and allowed me to eat more at night but once I stopped its been hard to get back into it.
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making little emergency snack bags? Portioned out, of course; so you don't go wayyy over your cals. When you're done the bag, that's all ya get
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    build a nighttime snack in to your meal plans - cut 50 cals from 2 other meals and use that for a late night snack
  • ACau88
    ACau88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Dymatize Elite Casein before bed with some milk or nut milk
  • robbyf1971
    robbyf1971 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth (always had dessert after dinner) and now I usually have a Simple Truth Frozen Greek Yogurt bar. Great taste and 100 calories. Does the trick for me.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Look at your averages for your other meals and see how many calories you can pull out of them for a late snack. Set a hard limit for those meals, no matter how many or when they are; that will make sure you always have enough for a snack before bed.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Look at your averages for your other meals and see how many calories you can pull out of them for a late snack. Set a hard limit for those meals, no matter how many or when they are; that will make sure you always have enough for a snack before bed.

I prelog (quick add) 150-250 calories each day for my 8pm snack and work the rest of my day around it. Then I change the entry to whatever I'm having to account for the macros.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

I prelog (quick add) 150-250 calories each day for my 8pm snack and work the rest of my day around it. Then I change the entry to whatever I'm having to account for the macros.

I know that works for some, but never worked for me. It just made me want to eat that away to spite myself for daring to plan out my day! XD
  • kami3006
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

I know that works for some, but never worked for me. It just made me want to eat that away to spite myself for daring to plan out my day! XD

LOL, I have that issue if I plan out my whole day. I totally understand.
  • FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should look through your day and see where you could reduce your intake to save some calories for a nightly snack. It would be the easiest, but it is not your only option.

I have GERD and cannot eat for a few hours before bedtime, or I will not sleep at all! It was hard at first, but I got used to it. Now I am rarely hungry after 8. The human body is pretty amazing in how adaptable it is.

If you cannot pull any extra calories to save for nighttime snacking, just be patient and your body will adapt.
  • bshaw86
    bshaw86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, ya today I tried eating little less during day and fitting my meals around the time I go to the gym. When I'm done with the gym I eat 2 high protein meals complex carbs, sometimes I'll just wake up out of a dead sleep and go right for the peanut butter lol, I have a serious addiction to peanut butter and it's just so high in calories for a little amount, so I'll hit my calories for the day and end up going way over, I need to work on the discipline
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If the peanut butter urge is too strong, keep it out of the house until you can handle it.
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If I have the urge to eat something naughty it really helps to have a cup of tea with a tsp of stevia. It helps me. Never sounds good at the time but when I'm done with the tea the urge has always passes and I feel satisfied
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    bshaw86 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice, ya today I tried eating little less during day and fitting my meals around the time I go to the gym. When I'm done with the gym I eat 2 high protein meals complex carbs, sometimes I'll just wake up out of a dead sleep and go right for the peanut butter lol, I have a serious addiction to peanut butter and it's just so high in calories for a little amount, so I'll hit my calories for the day and end up going way over, I need to work on the discipline

Try a chocolate smoothie with a tbsp of walden farms peanut butter. Horrible by itself but gives me the peanut butter taste when I need it with my smoothie
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I have a peanut butter problem too :/ I just brought it into my apartment for the first time in half a year to help with my fat macro and it's taunting me.

Anyway, to answer your question, I always prelog a good 400 calories (200-300 if the deficit is larger) to have after dinner. I try not to eat dinner until 7:30, then have a snack around 9, and my last one at 10. Protein fluff has been my savior. And powdered peanut butter instead of the real stuff.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

You look pretty disciplined at going to the gym! :)

Just use the same approach to your calorie allowances throughout the day, and you'll be fine!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    One suggestion about peanut butter is to consider buying the kind with no added sugar.
  • kami3006
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    One suggestion about peanut butter is to consider buying the kind with no added sugar.

Unfortunately that has as many calories and some brands have even more than regular peanut butter.